Random New Handicap

SJB777

Visit site
Hi,

I've recently joined a club after a period of absence, and just submitted my 3 cards for handicap. Gross scores were +9, +17 & +19. In reality I'm probably around 12 h'cap at the moment, but very erratic so at some point during the 3 rounds it's more than likely I have birdied, pared, and treble bogied the same hole!

My handicap has come through as 8.0.....

I'm fine with this as I'd much rather try and play to it than be a bandit (and hope to comfortably play to it after a winter of practice), however it seems a bit odd as I'd presumed I'd be given around 15 (average of the 3 cards).

Can anyone explain how we've got to 8.0? (presuming standard scratch wasn't +10 despite the gales!!)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently joined a club after a period of absence, and just submitted my 3 cards for handicap. Gross scores were +9, +17 & +19. In reality I'm probably around 12 h'cap at the moment, but very erratic so at some point during the 3 rounds it's more than likely I have birdied, pared, and treble bogied the same hole!

My handicap has come through as 8.0.....

I'm fine with this as I'd much rather try and play to it than be a bandit (and hope to comfortably play to it after a winter of practice), however it seems a bit odd as I'd presumed I'd be given around 15 (average of the 3 cards).

Can anyone explain how we've got to 8.0? (presuming standard scratch wasn't +10 despite the gales!!)

When it's new handicaps (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they adjust your cards so you don't have any scores over a double bogey I believe so might explain it

G

guest100718

I **think** they may take your best scores from each hole across the 3 cards but I could be wrong in that.

Your are indeed...

Best card of the three counts, which was the plus 9, was there a treble on the 9?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Start point is to round down every single hole score to a double bogey then take the best score compared to SSS and allocate you that as your handicap.

Expect your +9 round was adjusted to 8 either through a treble rounded to a double or SSS is 1 easier than par

SJB777

Visit site
Start point is to round down every single hole score to a double bogey then take the best score compared to SSS and allocate you that as your handicap.

Expect your +9 round was adjusted to 8 either through a treble rounded to a double or SSS is 1 easier than par

Indeed just read up on the CONGU system. Suspect the club committee may adjust it when they see my cards, possibly not if they play in the same roll up as meimage: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/winkers.gif
;)

Thanks allimage: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/smiley.gif
:)
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?87736-Random-New-Handicap#uwv6ASHlUM6bOM1L.99

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
None of the above.

If the +9 was against SSS with no adjustments, then it is applied to the following formula.

Initial Handicap = (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237 truncated to provide a whole number.

By my calculation that comes out at 8.22, therefore 8.

P.S. LAGD stands for Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Where, in God's name, do they get that formula from...?
How random is that..?
Talk about complicating things.....
If he's played to +9 against SSS with then all logic says he should be off 9....

robbo

Hacker
Visit site
I've just had the same thing happen to me...
Three rounds of +6, +7 and +11 and I've been given a 5 handicap. I assumed it was going to be an average of the 3 rounds until the course manager explained how it worked :eek:oo:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just had the same thing happen to me...
Three rounds of +6, +7 and +11 and I've been given a 5 handicap. I assumed it was going to be an average of the 3 rounds until the course manager explained how it worked :eek:oo:

..... Did he explain that when we played 2 weeks ago and we both played off 12 that you were hollow tining the greens with your spurs? And we all spotted you leaving on your dappled pony that we saw tethered in the car park?

But well done on 5 though Andy!

Markw

Head Pro
Visit site
Im in the same situation and interested on what my new handicap will be after submitting three cards at new club. Left last club at the beginning of this year as a 8 handicap.
Had Hand operation in 2014 and only scored 36 points 3 times in 2015 playing every week and wasn't enjoying it.
Had another hand operation which has meant no golf until September this year and my three handicap cards on new par 70 course were
85, 85 and 84, consistent but well above my old club handicap where my average for last year was 29-30 points a round.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn't the formula a new thing for 2016? To be fair it makes no real difference how it's calculated as its done once when you first receive your handicap and many people will not need to see it again.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im in the same situation and interested on what my new handicap will be after submitting three cards at new club. Left last club at the beginning of this year as a 8 handicap.

As i understand it, you have joined a new club within 12 months of leaving your previous one and according to the rules...

1. You shouldn't be submitting cards
2. It should be 8

You did give your new club the full details of your previous handicap?

Markw

Head Pro
Visit site
As i understand it, you have joined a new club within 12 months of leaving your previous one and according to the rules...

1. You shouldn't be submitting cards
2. It should be 8

You did give your new club the full details of your previous handicap?

Yes I gave the new club all the details of previous club and handicap.
The issue they had was something like the the old club were not registered with congu although
they worked out the handicaps correctly using a approved method.
I understand that some will assume foul play but I don't enter comps and after 21 months of
scoring between 24-30 points and playing to handicap 3 times in that period, I was looking for a review
anyway.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A pal of mine got his initial hcap the other month 17, he said that it should be higher. Over the next nine comps he went up to 17.9/18. He played in a medal week before last and went round in 87. Won the comp by 6 shots. Dropped 1.8. Now playing off 16. In essence however the hcap is worked out. Seems to me that it is not a bad calculation.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I gave the new club all the details of previous club and handicap.
The issue they had was something like the the old club were not registered with congu although
they worked out the handicaps correctly using a approved method.
I understand that some will assume foul play but I don't enter comps and after 21 months of
scoring between 24-30 points and playing to handicap 3 times in that period, I was looking for a review
anyway.

Not worried about foul play, just trying to gain and provide clarity on the due process for those reading the thread etc...if it wasn't a CONGU handicap then the system requires you to put in cards, and the committee's not likely to give any relevance to it in their considerations either. Personally, any scope that exists would be taken with the consistency of the cards you have submitted; assuming SSS= par you look more like 11 than 13.

Markw

Head Pro
Visit site
Not worried about foul play, just trying to gain and provide clarity on the due process for those reading the thread etc...if it wasn't a CONGU handicap then the system requires you to put in cards, and the committee's not likely to give any relevance to it in their considerations either. Personally, any scope that exists would be taken with the consistency of the cards you have submitted; assuming SSS= par you look more like 11 than 13.

Spot on, have just spoken to new club and they have given me a 11 handicap based on my previous and the three cards submitted
but will be reviewing if necessary.
its given me a new target to get to single figures again.

Last edited: