Random Irritations

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sadly a side effect of the internet; whereas tours used to be loss leaders to promote album sales, they are now more about providing the income as YouTube and Spotify mean a lot of content is available for free. A great shame as the Hammersmith Odeon is a great venue.
That is true - it used to be that the band would make a huge amount on record sales/album deal from the record company, would record an album and then tour to top it up. Now, they make barely anything from record sales, so have to tour regardless of whether they've made an album in the last 10 years - only so much you can make from Spotify/t-shirt sales

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That is true - it used to be that the band would make a huge amount on record sales/album deal from the record company, would record an album and then tour to top it up. Now, they make barely anything from record sales, so have to tour regardless of whether they've made an album in the last 10 years - only so much you can make from Spotify/t-shirt sales

Goes a long to explain the price of the tickets as well.

And given the miserly rates that Spotify/Amazon/Apple pay, they probably make more from the T shirts! ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a very soft spot for the Hammersmith Odeon. Saw my first proper gig there, Metallica on the Damaged Justice Tour supported by Danzig. Would be impossible to get as close to Metallica now as I did at that one.
When I saw Metallica in 2009 (Nottingham Trent Arena) and 2017 (NEC) they had a stage in the middle of the arena, so definitely possible to get close. I was right by the stage at the former and the Mexican couple next to me were able to reach out and hand Robert Trujillo a Mexican flag.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I saw Metallica in 2009 (Nottingham Trent Arena) and 2017 (NEC) they had a stage in the middle of the arena, so definitely possible to get close. I was right by the stage at the former and the Mexican couple next to me were able to reach out and hand Robert Trujillo a Mexican flag.

Last time I saw them was when they performed the black album at Download but could not get to the front

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously? The sound in the O2 is miles ahead of Wembley Arena, something to do with the fact that they had U2’s sound manager work with acoustic engineers to reduce any echoing.

https://london.fandom.com/wiki/The_O2_Arena

Wembley Arena has to be the least comfortable larger venue in London; tight seats, a narrow concourse and the stickiest floors of any venue I’ve ever been to. I’ll suffer it under duress for bands I really wish to see if it’s the only choice.

Best London venue by a street is the Royal Albert Hall.
Agree with this. Recently went to Wembley Arena and was seated at the side, one of the exit boxes obstructed the view a bit, seats uncomfortable and the venue itself is very tired.
The best gig I've experienced was late seventies to see Elton John's Single Man
concert at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
I think at the time Elton wanted to play in a smaller venue for his fans to enjoy more.
Also agree with Albert Hall being one of the best venues. ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Wembley Arena is fine if you are on the floor facing forward.

But if you are on the sides, you have to turn 1/2 left or right and this gets a bit uncomfortable after a while.

Lots of good memories over the years, but you can’t beat the Hammy Odeon ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Wembley Arena is fine if you are on the floor facing forward.

But if you are on the sides, you have to turn 1/2 left or right and this gets a bit uncomfortable after a while.

Lots of good memories over the years, but you can’t beat the Hammy Odeon ?
By far the best gig I ever saw at Wembley Arena was Peter Gabriel, but he played in the round on a central stage - much better than the main stage.

In general I don't like big venues. Even the Apollo (formerly Hammersmith Odeon) feels too big. My favourite venue is The Stables at Wavendon (near Milton Keynes), but we've moved to Devon so not likely to go back there.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The Royal Albert Hall was fantastic yesterday for Jools Hollands Prostate Cancer Charity gig. We were at ground level row 12 and it's a great venue. I drove there as we were concerned about the journey home with the train strike, and parked 5 minutes from the venue for £10.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are not wrong about the t shirts - especially as the prices you pay at the venue

Was reading that the some smaller venues force their own merch sellers on the bands and take a cut of the mechandise money. Not happy with that, merch sales are what keeps smaller bands going and the people they have selling their gear are normally friendly, helpful and, in some cases, members of the band themselves after their set. Going to make sure I check that in future and, if that is the case, I will see if I can get my tour merch off the band webiste.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cars ?

Wet cam belt potentially gone on the car - prob be a cool £2000 plus to get it all changed ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it just me that, when someone asks me to do something I was about to do anyway, then delays doing said thing so that it doesn't look like I'm just doing it because they asked me to? :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it just me that, when someone asks me to do something I was about to do anyway, then delays doing said thing so that it doesn't look like I'm just doing it because they asked me to? :LOL:

Nope, I get pushed to do something (rather than asked nicely) then there is a strong chance that it will lost its place in the queue and move to the back of the line.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Spend half my life explaining to people that a solid deadline date makes something time sensitive and not simply the fact that they want their work done before anyone elses.