Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Many modern cars have front collision prevention built in to protect pedestrians if the driver hasn't reacted to their presence. The car brakes on its own.
My Skoda apparently has that, and it's a bit over-zealous.
Several times it has given me the warning while I am actually in the process of braking.
(Presumably it thinks I should be braking more vigorously, but of course it doesn't know anything about the car behind me that I'm worried might rear-end me if I brake any harder).

I've never had the guts to test out whether it will actually apply the brakes if I don't.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All the hype in the media about the space flight that has just lifted off with 4 'civilians' on board. They are making out that they aren't astronauts but then point out they have undergone 5 months training - surely this makes them astronauts?:unsure: After all, the definition of a civilian is someone who is not in the military, but not all astronauts previously have been military, I would guess that the majority were civilians.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
All the hype in the media about the space flight that has just lifted off with 4 'civilians' on board. They are making out that they aren't astronauts but then point out they have undergone 5 months training - surely this makes them astronauts?:unsure: After all, the definition of a civilian is someone who is not in the military, but not all astronauts previously have been military, I would guess that the majority were civilians.
They changed the definition of astronaut recently to make it so they have to be more involved in the flight to qualify, largely to stop Bezos and Branson claiming to be astronauts.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Recruiters sending me interesting roles when I am about to pack it all in.

Recruiters refusing to state the "day rate" but want to know yours. :) Just had one on the phone saying his role was "market rate" and when he asked me what I was currently on, I said "above market rate!" :)

Are recruiters and estate agents the same people?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand why people reverse into spaces at places like golf clubs. How do they get their stuff in/out of the boot?
Well I guess they must be able to else they wouldn’t reverse in. I am assuming that things might be tough for reversing out, as it is with us - and so I too often reverse in. Getting stuff out of the boot is no problem whatsoever,

sunshine

Visit site
I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It's a minefield, and I admit to make a hash of things....sometimes.

It's amazing how you display your ignorance as a badge of pride. I remember being taught all this stuff when I learnt to drive 25 years ago, I'm sure it's taught today.

If you don't know how to navigate roundabouts, and this is something you have to do regularly, then why not read up and teach yourself? There is plenty of guidance out there.

sunshine

Visit site
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way ??

Or the woman on the North Circular who changed lanes without looking and drove into me as I overtook her, and then said: "but I indicated".

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's amazing how you display your ignorance as a badge of pride. I remember being taught all this stuff when I learnt to drive 25 years ago, I'm sure it's taught today.

If you don't know how to navigate roundabouts, and this is something you have to do regularly, then why not read up and teach yourself? There is plenty of guidance out there.
It's a sad fact that the majority of drivers forget the majority of what got them through the test within a matter of weeks of passing.
It's also a constant source of disillusionment for me, knowing that most of the time I'm wasting my time...at least I'm getting paid for it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a sad fact that the majority of drivers forget the majority of what got them through the test within a matter of weeks of passing.
It's also a constant source of disillusionment for me, knowing that most of the time I'm wasting my time...at least I'm getting paid for it.
I’ve never understood why, upon passing their test, so many people abandon reverse parking and parallel parking instantly. Both are easy to do and infinitely better for negotiating tighter parking spots and car parks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never understood why motorway driving isn't part of the test.
That's quite an easy one..
Many test centres are too far away from a motorway to make it viable to use in a test.
The test is only 40 minutes so, in order to get everything else in that they need to do, you can't be more than 10-15 minutes from one AND be able to get off it and back to the test centre inside that 40 minutes.
We're 30 minutes from motorways in every direction.
Post-test training is available but few want to spend the money.