Random Irritations

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Old age and the sudden susceptibility to the cold. And having some annoying little bugger wanting to be taken out for a walk.
My irritation is the worst!
Was my birthday yesterday and woke up to no bloody heating or hot water!! To top it all I thought, we have the immersion heater so
will at least have hot water.

Wrong, even that isn't working!!

British gas coming round on Wed 12-6, so much for emergency breakdown.
I questioned this and operator said that they were recruiting 3,000 engineers and apologised.
So StuC etc, if you want some extra work fill yer boots! ??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My irritation is the worst!
Was my birthday yesterday and woke up to no bloody heating or hot water!! To top it all I thought, we have the immersion heater so
will at least have hot water.

Wrong, even that isn't working!!

British gas coming round on Wed 12-6, so much for emergency breakdown.
I questioned this and operator said that they were recruiting 3,000 engineers and apologised.
So StuC etc, if you want some extra work fill yer boots! ??

Our heating engineer was due first thing this morning to fix ours but couldnt get to us because of the snow :( now trying to rearrange sigh but at least were not fully without. HOpe you get on well with the neighbours.........

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to say though in defence of emojis, for some reason I’m still struggling to sort my recycled phone (from my lad) as it does not make the emoji keyboard available for any form of texting…and what a nuisance…having to check and recheck every message I send to make sure that it can‘t be misinterpreted…? (posted from my iPad, evidentially).
Never use a monkey emoji, even though they can be cute, never use the aubergine. Stick to those two rules and I think you should be okay. I've survived this long without being cancelled by following this :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The wife has spent most of today “tidying”. Which translates to moving stuff from one room to another.
She’s piled loads of stuff up against the utility room door. All of which will need moving to take it either to the tip/recycling/garage/back where it was. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People who respond to your carefully-written email with idiot-proof instructions and say "can you just call me to discuss". No, sod off and learn to read!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wife has spent most of today “tidying”. Which translates to moving stuff from one room to another.
She’s piled loads of stuff up against the utility room door. All of which will need moving to take it either to the tip/recycling/garage/back where it was. ?
God I hate the 'tidying' days. Guaranteed that something I'll need has just gone missing forever, I just don't know what it is yet.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People charging grandparents and relatives for Christmas dinner! A recent survey of 2,000 Britons by Flora revealed that one in ten people will charge grandparents for their dinner on Christmas Day

I know we are in tough times but charging money for Christmas seems plain wrong - far more acceptable if people helped on some of the cooking/ booze or even banding together with another family to pool resources etc

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1708296/christmas-dinner-charge-family-poll-spt

https://www.thesun.ie/news/9883244/brits-charge-gran-christmas-lunch-city-relatives/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/families-charge-people-come-chrismas-25672777

BiMGuy

Visit site
I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as "idiot-proof".......

There is not. I have developed and delivered quite a bit of training material over the years. Literally click by click guides in some cases, and people still struggle to follow them.

BiMGuy

Visit site
People charging grandparents and relatives for Christmas dinner! A recent survey of 2,000 Britons by Flora revealed that one in ten people will charge grandparents for their dinner on Christmas Day

I know we are in tough times but charging money for Christmas seems plain wrong - far more acceptable if people helped on some of the cooking/ booze or even banding together with another family to pool resources etc

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1708296/christmas-dinner-charge-family-poll-spt

https://www.thesun.ie/news/9883244/brits-charge-gran-christmas-lunch-city-relatives/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/families-charge-people-come-chrismas-25672777

I can’t imagine doing this, though we are fortunate enough that we’d be able to afford to feed everyone.

We do however circumnavigate the issue by never inviting anyone else round for Christmas dinner.

When we have been to family gatherings over Christmas we always ask if the host would like us to make or bring anything. The cost of hosting Christmas dinner will be astronomical this year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can’t imagine doing this, though we are fortunate enough that we’d be able to afford to feed everyone.

We do however circumnavigate the issue by never inviting anyone else round for Christmas dinner.

When we have been to family gatherings over Christmas we always ask if the host would like us to make or bring anything. The cost of hosting Christmas dinner will be astronomical this year.
Makes more sense. Charging people a fee seems mean-spirited, but asking people to each bring something makes it seem much nicer but achieves the same goal in a round about way.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes more sense. Charging people a fee seems mean-spirited, but asking people to each bring something makes it seem much nicer but achieves the same goal in a round about way.

big difference as BIM said, i would always offer if going somewhere - but i would never ask anyne if hosting, but if they offer i may some bring a bottle etc

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends if you are tight or not, we were invited to a friend's joint stag and hen party at their house, people brought all the booze, there were a few curled up sarnies and crisps on a table her mum had made, which tbh not many people touched.. they then has the cheek to go round asking for a £5 each for a whip round towards the cost of the food.. there must have been 60 to 70 people there, 10p each would have covered the cost tbh??

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends if you are tight or not, we were invited to a friend's joint stag and hen party at their house, people brought all the booze, there were a few curled up sarnies and crisps on a table her mum had made, which tbh not many people touched.. they then has the cheek to go round asking for a £5 each for a whip round towards the cost of the food.. there must have been 60 to 70 people there, 10p each would have covered the cost tbh??
I'd have certainly not paid if I didn't eat any, plus you need to pre-warn people not hit them with the cost afterwards!

People just need to be honest this Christmas and say that they can't afford to host if that's the case. But if nobody can afford to host for everyone, then each person contributing a bit is the next best thing.