Random Irritations

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Outfox the Market and their shocking customer service.

We moved into a new house where they were the energy supplier. We submitted meter readings when we moved in and again after two weeks when we changed supplier. They've sent us a bill for £1200 for those two weeks because they've got the day and night readings for the electric the wrong way round. I'm offshore and can't phone them and they're refusing to speak to Mrs Colch about it because she's not the account holder. I'm the account holder but they've got it down as Neil Hecks - right first name, wrong surname - which means that even if I phone up they can't discuss it with me as I'm not the named account holder. I'm tempted to ignore it and let it go to collections. Then when the debt collectors come round I can prove that there is no one by the name of Neil Hecks living at the address.
Can Mrs Colch write to them signed by Neil H***? Email of course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bean sprouts! Considering I managed to slice my finger wide open trying to open a can of them. Blood everywhere. If I never eat a bean sprout again it'll be too soon.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Mysogintistic garages that prey on women quoting all sorts of nonsense to generate fraudulent sales.

HID had to take her car in this morning so I followed along to act as pick up. Problem was pretty simple, trye valve was leaking causing a slow puncture (I has the wheel off yesterday and checked for punctures (barrel of water trick) and only leak of air was from the valve.

After 20 minutes waiting I went in to see what was taking so long only to find that they'd told her that the tyre needed replacing as the "tyre wall had failed" and that the tracking was out by a lot (car has never pulled in any direction since new) so she needed two new tryes (to match wear) and tracking. That'll be £450 thanks... To which I asked to see the tyre wall damage and the uneven wear from the tracking issue and mentioned I had checked the tyre...

Backtracking followed at a seriously fast pace. Got to wonder how often they get away with it.

Add to that "the older generation ". A couple of years ago I took my motor for an MOT, it passed, but they said the front brake pads and discs were 100% worn. I asked how it passed the MOT if they were clearly faulty and the eeejit said that " so long as it stops on the roller it has to pass" . I refused their kind invitation to do the repairs and took it to a friendly local repairer who said they were nowhere near needing changing and to come back just before the next MOT and we'll see if they needed changing in a years time - they still didn't!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Van stops right at zebra crossing (but no one crossing) so backs up a few cars, passenger jumps out (obviously just getting dropped off) & van pulls away, traffic moves a wee bit but now the alighted passenger stands at zebra crossing waiting to cross so traffic stops again... but he's so engrossed in gawking at his phone he doesn't cross or even look to see if traffic has stopped, traffic starts again (I get through) and then he finishes with his phone & the traffic has to stop again!

What a 2x4

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Add to that "the older generation ". A couple of years ago I took my motor for an MOT, it passed, but they said the front brake pads and discs were 100% worn. I asked how it passed the MOT if they were clearly faulty and the eeejit said that " so long as it stops on the roller it has to pass" . I refused their kind invitation to do the repairs and took it to a friendly local repairer who said they were nowhere near needing changing and to come back just before the next MOT and we'll see if they needed changing in a years time - they still didn't!
And that's why we have used our independent garage down the road for all our cars over the last thirty years.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same thing with the exhaust back box on a five year old Vauxhall Astra. MoT said it was rusty on an advisory and needed to be changed. Four years passed before it started to actually blow/leak. Shysters the lot of them.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Van stops right at zebra crossing (but no one crossing) so backs up a few cars, passenger jumps out (obviously just getting dropped off) & van pulls away, traffic moves a wee bit but now the alighted passenger stands at zebra crossing waiting to cross so traffic stops again... but he's so engrossed in gawking at his phone he doesn't cross or even look to see if traffic has stopped, traffic starts again (I get through) and then he finishes with his phone & the traffic has to stop again!

What a 2x4
phone idiots.jpg

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Brakes are the general favourite as it’s quite hard to visually check wear unless you have a clear view through the alloys. Most modern cars have wear sensors that are set to just above the legal limit for pad wear (although they don’t give any indication of disc wear) so if not alerting, not a problem (at that time).

Pre sensors, back when I was a youth I served my time in, well I suppose you’d call it an “independent” garage (as in it was affiliated to no marque), and I was told by the owner that every car I worked on had a “brake problem” and that was to be reported to the customer. Now even as a green teenager I knew it was wrong and refused to do it. Got me in all sorts of trouble with the owner until I quit as soon as my apprenticeship was completed.

I love this view that independent garages are automatically trustworthy as they don’t take any green from the big boys. There are a a lot of honest mechanics out there, sadly there are just as many rogues and it’s why I just couldn’t stick to that profession.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to counter not all garages are like that. Went into one weve never used before on friday to get a quote for 4 new tyres and brake discs and pads for the front and to check the back brakes. Told us that everything was still legal, the front discs/pads needed doing "soon" as did the rear tyres but the rest were fine for now. Could easily have done more work if they had wanted to. We'll use them again

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting bored of emails promoting Black Friday, Cyber Monday blah blah blah. Just had a look at Snainton golf ball deal and the Tour Speeds are the same price as they have been for months. I know because I have been looking for months for deals on these as I use them in winter. The whole thing is just a big con.