Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's how it works, there's no better advertisment than a recommendation.

I got a call today off a new customer who was recommended by his boss whose boiler i fitted in his old house 6yrs ago!!

100%

Guy who did our loft did someone at works loft before mine he introduced us

Then I've given his number out to a few people

Seen him do a few down this road aswell , they came in to see the work whilst it was being done and hired him lol

I need to start charging commission

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh dear Paddy, you appear to have outed yourself; that thread was in 2018 and you didn't join until 2021...

Not just me then Stu? :unsure::LOL::LOL:
I've made no secret that I've been reading the forum a long time and I also have a long long memory . Could probably recite homergate 1 word for word. As to if I'm a previous poster , I've answered that one too.

D

Deleted member 1740

I've made no secret that I've been reading the forum a long time and I also have a long long memory . Could probably recite homergate 1 word for word. As to if I'm a previous poster , I've answered that one too.

???

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
On the subject of getting quotes, one of the neighbours had new windows fitted a few months ago by “Safe Style”, so had them round to quote for us today.

Now it’s annoying enough the amount of time the guy was here, but (and bear in mind the houses are identical 3 bed semi detached), after telling him he is here due to a recommendation from a neighbour and them paying £7k to have their whole house done he gives us a quote for £11k.

Think we will get some others round thanks.

RichA

Visit site
1. The Amazon delivery driver that keeps leaving parcels on the doorstep when we're out, even though the next door neighbour 10 yards away is home, then records on Amazon as "Handed to resident".
2. The yoof that stole the parcel today.
3. The fact that, even though it must happen extremely frequently, there's no option within Amazon to tick a box saying "Stolen from my doorstep". My doorbell cam recorded the parcel being delivered and stolen 30 minutes later, but Amazon insist that they won't do anything until Friday, as it'll probably turn up. ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Newsreaders who seem to be auditioning for pantomime. What's with the shouting(microphone works wonders ), bouncing up and down every few words and waving arms around as if they're on the flight deck?

For goodness sake read the dam autocue - that's all. Please!!

D

Deleted member 1740

All these years on and still it gets censored ?

Its hilarious, better protection than the king. I must remember to file it under a certain Vertebrate who must not be named. Unfortunately my memory isn't as good as yours.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your right 99% of the problems have been caused by outside influences... Prob why teachers, firefighters, postie's, nurses , uni staff, civil servants are all voting for strike action .. notice a common denominator? I'll give you a small clue . It's not the unions and it rhymes with Rory

crawl back under your bush your utter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's getting tougher now with tradesman , finding 3 quotes can be a nightmare

I've got a sparky coming Monday to combine 2 consumer units..run armoured cable down to garage (to remove it being fed from a spur) upgrade my tails to 25mm and fix something in the kitchen

I contacted 4 people (one personally recommended)

1 said busy until January because of new baby. Fair enough thanks for being honest

1 emailed for details and pics then never heard again (chased up and still ghosted)

1 (the personal recommendation) called, the voicemail said email. Emailed his "24/7" contact email etc. No reply

The last one I'd contacted said he was busy for a week then he would provide a quote. After what I'd had from the others I thought I would never hear .. true to his word he came and priced it up

So I've only got one quote but happy to proceed

3 quotes would be a dream

One of the funnies in my dealings with 'trades' when needing a new boiler in a new location and some pipework was one of the guys had pointed out the best place to have a boiler and other very good recommendations (where it was finally located) he never came back to me with a quote.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In your case thats his fault. If he would've finiahed in half the time i hope you would've still paid him the quoted price?

Yes I would have because it was such a good price, I had had the front of he house done before by a reasonably sized building company rather than a sole builder and I knew roughly what the cost should be.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the subject of getting quotes, one of the neighbours had new windows fitted a few months ago by “Safe Style”, so had them round to quote for us today.

Now it’s annoying enough the amount of time the guy was here, but (and bear in mind the houses are identical 3 bed semi detached), after telling him he is here due to a recommendation from a neighbour and them paying £7k to have their whole house done he gives us a quote for £11k.

Think we will get some others round thanks.

Avoiid the bigger co's and find a local independent imho, they should measure up and then send you a quote a day or two later, none of the hard sell or wasting 3 hours. When we were in Mudeford we used Boyland Windows and they were great, not sure if they come out as far as you though