Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't say I'm scared of them, quite happy to bash or squish one if required, but my wife is terrified, which makes this time of year annoying. Every night she's screaming from some part of the house for me to come and rescue her.

Conkers are your friend. Get out there and pick them up and put them around the house. Apparently spiders don't like them. I ve got conkers all over my shed and no spiders.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My first proper cold in a long time. Really blocked up, sore throat, no sense of taste. As someone with chronic sinus problems, the cold really leaves me miserable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
County cup game this Sunday is an hour's drive away. Had a league game 40 odd minute drive the other week as well. Petrol crisis on and all our games are suddenly a hundred miles away! ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first proper cold in a long time. Really blocked up, sore throat, no sense of taste. As someone with chronic sinus problems, the cold really leaves me miserable.

Colds keep ripping through our house

Eldest at school , wife back in work at her school

Constant snotty noses

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Manchester Marathon this week and my knee has started hurting.... Hopefully, it's just my mind playing with me! But I think it's early days patella tendonitis..

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
County cup game this Sunday is an hour's drive away. Had a league game 40 odd minute drive the other week as well. Petrol crisis on and all our games are suddenly a hundred miles away! ?

Under 13s cup game on Sunday, we were lucky to be the home team. Away team had a 80 mile round trip! for 12yr old kids!!

D

Deleted member 3432

You drive at 100 miles an hour to a footy game?

Set off sooner and save some money....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Under 13s cup game on Sunday, we were lucky to be the home team. Away team had a 80 mile round trip! for 12yr old kids!!

It's mental isn't it. Over here in East Anglia we've had to travel over an hour each way to play 40 minute Mini Soccer games.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's mental isn't it. Over here in East Anglia we've had to travel over an hour each way to play 40 minute Mini Soccer games.

Used to be the same in my rugby playing days. Playing in rural rutland meant that, aside from the local rivals of Stamford and Melton, everying else was pretty much at least an hour in the car each way.

sunshine

Visit site
Long and tiring 440 miles on motorway today in dreadful conditions, pouring rain making for terrible spray and grim visibility…and all along cars undertaking and tail-gating…insane. Then add in the usual clutch of idiots driving with no front or rear lights…madness and recklessness.

But what was perhaps more concerning than irritating were the very significant number of cars being driven with no rear lighting, yet they had some form of front light - though not headlights. What’s that about? Without looking too closely the majority seemed to be newer cars - is this a complete misunderstanding by many drivers about the Auto setting on the light switch…because I can’t imagine why else front but no rear - and that made things really difficult and dangerous for other drivers as these cars were mostly quite simply invisible in the spray….thoughts on that?

DRL (daytime running lights)

You are right in that the auto setting is to blame, perhaps the Daytime Running lights, DLR, more. I've had auto lights on some cars where the daytime settings have rear as well as front lights on but some cars only have the front lights when on DLR. My betting is that drivers believe that their car has rear lights on when their DLR are on and they simply don't realise they are not. After all, when you drive you may see a reflection of your lights in front but you don't see your rear lights.

I myself was caught out with this a few cars back and only realised when my wife took my car one time and I saw the lack of rear lights when she drove off. I now check on day one when I change cars. My current car doesn't have rear lights on on DLR mode so I switch to manual lights if I deem them necessary.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Docklands Light Railway? :p:LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
You are right in that the auto setting is to blame, perhaps the Daytime Running lights, DLR, more. I've had auto lights on some cars where the daytime settings have rear as well as front lights on but some cars only have the front lights when on DLR. My betting is that drivers believe that their car has rear lights on when their DLR are on and they simply don't realise they are not. After all, when you drive you may see a reflection of your lights in front but you don't see your rear lights.

I myself was caught out with this a few cars back and only realised when my wife took my car one time and I saw the lack of rear lights when she drove off. I now check on day one when I change cars. My current car doesn't have rear lights on on DLR mode so I switch to manual lights if I deem them necessary.

In the EU, daytime running lights (DRL) became mandatory in 2011. The DRL is only the front lights and cannot be the headlights. They are supposed to let other drivers know another car is coming, they are not supposed to provide a beam of light, which is why many brands introduced the fancy looking LEDs (Audi probably the pioneers of this).

If you have automatics light sensing headlights, they should come on (automatically) when the weather is wet as it does get darker. Mine do (front and rear). But you have to remember to have the automatic headlights setting switched on...

I suspect the many people who don't have the headlights on in the rain are driving cars without automatic headlights and have just forgotten to switch manually them on. Or they don't realise the DRL are different from headlights.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the EU, daytime running lights (DRL) became mandatory in 2011. The DRL is only the front lights and cannot be the headlights. They are supposed to let other drivers know another car is coming, they are not supposed to provide a beam of light, which is why many brands introduced the fancy looking LEDs (Audi probably the pioneers of this).

If you have automatics light sensing headlights, they should come on (automatically) when the weather is wet as it does get darker. Mine do (front and rear). But you have to remember to have the automatic headlights setting switched on...

I suspect the many people who don't have the headlights on in the rain are driving cars without automatic headlights and have just forgotten to switch manually them on. Or they don't realise the DRL are different from headlights.
I think it is your last point, perhaps I am too kind. To be fair, DRL are largely sufficient in terms of giving visibility to others, particularly the LED ones which are standard in most cars now. The big weakness is the rear lights not being on at the same time. If they were, my past Volvo's did this, then the problem is solved.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The highway code states, "You must use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced", with ‘seriously reduced’ being defined as when you are able to see less than 100m. If visibility is much less than 100m, because of heavy fog, or immense road spray from torrential rain, you are also supposed to put your front and rear fog lights on, if you have them - but do not forget to turn them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The highway code states, "You must use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced", with ‘seriously reduced’ being defined as when you are able to see less than 100m. If visibility is much less than 100m, because of heavy fog, or immense road spray from torrential rain, you are also supposed to put your front and rear fog lights on, if you have them - but do not forget to turn them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users

Hmmm. Not a very good piece of advice, IMHO. Who has been dazzled in daylight by car headlamps on dipped?
If it's raining significantly then how is there a problem with cars on dipped headlights ( and thus rear lights on )?
Someone's glance would see you. Without them , they might miss seeing you.
Where's the downside to it? Sweden doesn't think there is.