Random Irritations

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did like our boxer saying "you don't win silver, you lose gold". Of course a silver medal is amazing BUT he wanted gold and I admire that attitude.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did like our boxer saying "you don't win silver, you lose gold". Of course a silver medal is amazing BUT he wanted gold and I admire that attitude.

Can I be really honest and say I am glad he didn't win Gold. I know you need self-belief to be a successful boxer, but he came over as crass and arrogant (Not on losing the final, but in the build up and previous bouts). I didn't like him, and the town of Wolverhampton has dodged a bullet with his mayoral campaign!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that's more true specifically to boxing since you would have to physically lose the final to get silver. It's not really the same as the 100m sprint for example.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I be really honest and say I am glad he didn't win Gold. I know you need self-belief to be a successful boxer, but he came over as crass and arrogant (Not on losing the final, but in the build up and previous bouts). I didn't like him, and the town of Wolverhampton has dodged a bullet with his mayoral campaign!

I haven't watched it yet but the radio commentary made it sound like he left loads in the tank, barely threw his right hand during the fight. He does come across as a bit of a ball end like, but that seems to be the normal thing for boxers ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

i must say i agree with couple of them saying they did not win silver but loose gold. I thnk the Judo guy said, 'my coach says Silver is the first loser'. I know this is all un-british and all that.. It is probably the same as footballers not taking silver medals. gotta love it.

From Whatsapp University >>

Have you noticed that a bronze medalist is generally more happy than a silver medalist at the end of the game. Its not incidental finding but proven fact in many research studies after studying reactions of silver medalists vs bronze medalists!
Ideally, a silver medalist should be more happy than the bronze. But, human mind doesn't work like mathematics. This happens because of phenomenon of counterfactual thinking. A concept in psychology in which there is human tendency to create possible alternatives to life events that have already happened, that would be contrary to what happened. Sliver medalist thinks, "Oh I couldn't win the gold medal." Bronze medalist thinks, "At least I got a medal."
Silver medal is won after losing, but Bronze medal is won after Winning. This happens in our life also, we don't appreciate what we have but feel sad with what we don't have. Let's be grateful for our blessings, they far outweigh our problems if we start counting.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't watched it yet but the radio commentary made it sound like he left loads in the tank, barely threw his right hand during the fight. He does come across as a bit of a ball end like, but that seems to be the normal thing for boxers ?
I saw the fight this morning. He is a jab and move boxer, looks classy. The problem was he got behind and kept doing the same. The commentators were calling for him to throw more punches but he kept doing jab and move. It was not enough. Maybe over 12 rounds he would have won but not over 3.

I think he genuinely thought he had won at the end but he was the only one in the room who thought so. The winner was a class act.

The personality thing is a tough one. Having one gets you noticed, gets the fights, sells tickets. No personality, no one wants to know. It's hard to get the balance right.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw the fight this morning. He is a jab and move boxer, looks classy. The problem was he got behind and kept doing the same. The commentators were calling for him to throw more punches but he kept doing jab and move. It was not enough. Maybe over 12 rounds he would have won but not over 3.

I think he genuinely thought he had won at the end but he was the only one in the room who thought so. The winner was a class act.

The personality thing is a tough one. Having one gets you noticed, gets the fights, sells tickets. No personality, no one wants to know. It's hard to get the balance right.

Just heard his interview on the radio, he's from Wolverhampton? He sounded like he had that generic London gangster accent ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i must say i agree with couple of them saying they did not win silver but loose gold. I thnk the Judo guy said, 'my coach says Silver is the first loser'. I know this is all un-british and all that.. It is probably the same as footballers not taking silver medals. gotta love it.

From Whatsapp University >>

Have you noticed that a bronze medalist is generally more happy than a silver medalist at the end of the game. Its not incidental finding but proven fact in many research studies after studying reactions of silver medalists vs bronze medalists!
Ideally, a silver medalist should be more happy than the bronze. But, human mind doesn't work like mathematics. This happens because of phenomenon of counterfactual thinking. A concept in psychology in which there is human tendency to create possible alternatives to life events that have already happened, that would be contrary to what happened. Sliver medalist thinks, "Oh I couldn't win the gold medal." Bronze medalist thinks, "At least I got a medal."
Silver medal is won after losing, but Bronze medal is won after Winning. This happens in our life also, we don't appreciate what we have but feel sad with what we don't have. Let's be grateful for our blessings, they far outweigh our problems if we start counting.
And again, if you apply that to any knock-out based competition the effect is magnified, because the silver medal person or team has just lost the final, whereas the bronze winner has just won the third-place play-off match.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Charity muggers outside Farringdon station - if I say 'no thanks' then sod off, don't follow me for the next ten yards trying to convince me to speak to you.

---

More rain this weekend. It's an absolute joke. I feel like the entire summer this year was that one week heat wave while I was bloody isolating!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Teenagers on bikes

Yes it's impressive you can do your tricks on your bike.. but get out the road doing it in front of cars

Then get angry when you bib them

Apparently not allowed to run them over either.