Rakes....where do you place it after using it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The laws of something or other (could be fate or physics, I dunno) state that regardless of where you leave a rake, it may… or may not… stop or deflect your ball

Soooooo just leave it anywhere… as long as you get out in one shot and rake afterwards that’s all that really matters

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No. If it's laying flat then there is more chance of the ball coming to rest against it. So how can that be better? That's what you want to avoid as much as possible.
Because the rake is easily removed and the ball won't move on a flat surface, edges of bunkers slope to the centre so if a ball rest on a rake near the edge it will move when the rake is removed. Common sense is it not

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink as they say. The world is full of donkeys especially the golf world

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The laws of something or other (could be fate or physics, I dunno) state that regardless of where you leave a rake, it may… or may not… stop or deflect your ball

Soooooo just leave it anywhere… as long as you get out in one shot and rake afterwards that’s all that really matters

Very true, so leave the rake in the most convenient spot for the next person to get it. i.e. not in the middles of the bunker

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink as they say. The world is full of donkeys especially the golf world

The R&A say the complete opposite to you, so are you saying that your opinion is absolutely correct and the governing body that researched it and wrote a report is absolutely wrong

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The R&A say the complete opposite to you, so are you saying that your opinion is absolutely correct and the governing body that researched it and wrote a report is absolutely wrong
As somebody who is and has a lot of family very experienced with golf course maintenance yes I would

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because the rake is easily removed and the ball won't move on a flat surface, edges of bunkers slope to the centre so if a ball rest on a rake near the edge it will move when the rake is removed. Common sense is it not
No, common sense says leave less of the rake lying down, greatly reducing the chance of the ball resting against it at all. If it's leaning on the edge, the head of the rake can be near the middle of the bunker anyway.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah so just leave part of it resting on a slope in the bunker sounds like a great idea, oh no when I move this rake my ball will roll down the slope. All so easily avoided, I think it's mostly a way for old guys who can't bend down fully saves the old back I suppose

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As somebody who is and has a lot of family very experienced with golf course maintenance yes I would

Well I was a greenkeeper for a couple of years as was my brother.

One of our jobs was to go around the course raking the bunkers early morning so they would be nice for everyone. We had a studier and longer rake than what is in the bunkers so carried it around with us.

If the rakes were in the bunkers then you had to remove them before we could start raking, if the were on the edge it was a lot easier and quicker to remove them.

But after all of that as former greenkeepers and current players we both prefer to keep them with than handle on the edge.

So again it looks like there is no definitive answer

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah so just leave part of it resting on a slope in the bunker sounds like a great idea, oh no when I move this rake my ball will roll down the slope. All so easily avoided, I think it's mostly a way for old guys who can't bend down fully saves the old back I suppose
Are your rakes really short or your bunkers really big?? :LOL:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

If a bunker is approximate 2m in width and a bunker 1m in width, then by resting it on the edge, the head of the rake will be in the middle of the bunker. But with the added benefit of the handle being off of the ground and not interfering with the roll of the ball.

If you have a much bigger bunker then perhaps you can make the argument, like Partick did with pot bunkers, or if it's a really steep bunker with a very flat part.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Trust me when people say leave it resting against the edge they leave about 1m of rake sticking in the air nobody leaves an inch to put rake as far in as possible

D

Deleted member 21258

We have a holder at my home course, and the rakes stand up, brilliant idea.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a bunker is approximate 2m in width and a bunker 1m in width, then by resting it on the edge, the head of the rake will be in the middle of the bunker. But with the added benefit of the handle being off of the ground and not interfering with the roll of the ball.

If you have a much bigger bunker then perhaps you can make the argument, like Partick did with pot bunkers, or if it's a really steep bunker with a very flat part.
In addition - if the ball is trapped by the rake, and then moving the rake causes it to roll down a bit - then that's where it would have rolled anyway had the rake not been there! So what's the problem??

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
In addition - if the ball is trapped by the rake, and then moving the rake causes it to roll down a bit - then that's where it would have rolled anyway had the rake not been there! So what's the problem??
Because it takes time when playing competition golf a asking playing partners to remove the rake etc as you don't want to cause your own ball to move

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Because it takes time when playing competition golf a asking playing partners to remove the rake etc as you don't want to cause your own ball to move

"Even in a bunker, if a ball is against a movable obstruction, such as a rake, the obstruction may be removed. It is good practice to mark the position of the ball first. If the ball moves as a result of moving the obstruction, the ball must be replaced."

That is from the R&A Rule 24-1 decision explained.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
can't remember where it was now, but played somewhere once with this and your hands got wet when you used the rake as the holes filled with water

Now this is where a few dozen kids from the council estate would come in handy as rake holders, and it gets them in the fresh air and outdoors and keeps them off the xyz-box