Racism

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One guy who used to play us with now and then started coming out with obnoxious stuff. First time I let it go, but when he came out with it again the following week, I pulled him about it. He went in a right strop and it was pretty awkward for the rest of the round.

He keeps out my way now which suits me fine.

RT1200

Visit site
One guy who used to play us with now and then started coming out with obnoxious stuff. First time I let it go, but when he came out with it again the following week, I pulled him about it. He went in a right strop and it was pretty awkward for the rest of the round.

He keeps out my way now which suits me fine.
Well done for challenging him.

D

Deleted member 18588

Once at an after inter club match meal a member of the opposition happily told us that footballers like Ashley Cole, Theo Walcott etc; shouldn't be allowed to play for England. He really couldn't understand why I reacted so angrily and asked him to leave immediately.

Similarly last year a member who I have known for years and played with often made a blatantly racist comment about Meghan Markle. Again he and the others were amazed by my reaction. I pointed out that one of my daughters in law has like Meghan a black mother and a white father. The response was that he hadn't intended to offend me.

The implication being that it was otherwise OK for him to say what he did.

Sadly, therefore, I personally can only conclude that racism in golf clubs is not that uncommon.

RT1200

Visit site
Nothing to fear from me. I have experienced some particularly unpleasant racist comments that resulted in me leaving the club because the club's management failed to deal with the culprits and criticised me for complaining. I am interested to know if this is common in other clubs.

RT1200

Visit site
Once at an after inter club match meal a member of the opposition happily told us that footballers like Ashley Cole, Theo Walcott etc; shouldn't be allowed to play for England. He really couldn't understand why I reacted so angrily and asked him to leave immediately.

Similarly last year a member who I have known for years and played with often made a blatantly racist comment about Meghan Markle. Again he and the others were amazed by my reaction. I pointed out that one of my daughters in law has like Meghan a black mother and a white father. The response was that he hadn't intended to offend me.

The implication being that it was otherwise OK for him to say what he did.

Sadly, therefore, I personally can only conclude that racism in golf clubs is not that uncommon.

Sorry to hear you had this unpleasant experience and well done for standing up to this person.

D

Deleted member 16999

Let’s hope the new member isn’t a journalist looking for some facts to back up his “Golf Clubs are full of Racists” column.;)

D

Deleted member 18588

Let’s hope the new member isn’t a journalist looking for some facts to back up his “Golf Clubs are full of Racists” column.;)
With the preponderance of middle class, middle aged, white males amongst the membership of golf clubs I would be surprised if the number of racist comments wasn't higher than the norm in society as a whole.

(Speaking as an older, middle class, white guy)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like some other posters, lots of sexism but never racism. I should quantify that by pointing out that I recently discovered, from census information, that the county I live in is 98.4% white ?. The chances of me encountering racism is therefore much smaller I suspect.

Whilst I'm unlikely to come across direct person to person racism based on the numbers above I'm pleased to say that I have genuinely never heard racist comments about non white golfers, footballers, cricketers, rugby players etc in general chatter either on the course or in a clubhouse.

RT1200

Visit site
With the preponderance of middle class, middle aged, white males amongst the membership of golf clubs I would be surprised if the number of racist comments wasn't higher than the norm in society as a whole.

(Speaking as an older, middle class, white guy)
I suspect you are right.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never. We don't seem to have the same problem with racism up here as there appears to be down South. We have a fairly large proportion of Asian descent in Dundee due to the jute industry way back, and a large population of Eastern European workers who have come here to help on the farms, a fair number who have stayed on and got full time employment.

Not sure I agree in general. There are people in Scotland who claim Eastern Europeans take "their" jobs (generally those that don't want to work) and those who won't buy a Big Issue off sellers if they are not Scots.

RT1200

Visit site
Like some other posters, lots of sexism but never racism. I should quantify that by pointing out that I recently discovered, from census information, that the county I live in is 98.4% white ?. The chances of me encountering racism is therefore much smaller I suspect.

Whilst I'm unlikely to come across direct person to person racism based on the numbers above I'm pleased to say that I have genuinely never heard racist comments about non white golfers, footballers, cricketers, rugby players etc in general chatter either on the course or in a clubhouse.
That is good to hear. However, my unpleasant experience was in a white dominated members' club.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing to fear from me. I have experienced some particularly unpleasant racist comments that resulted in me leaving the club because the club's management failed to deal with the culprits and criticised me for complaining. I am interested to know if this is common in other clubs.
We can be a suspicious bunch here. Perhaps if you had made it clear at the outset you would have got a different answer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is good to hear. However, my unpleasant experience was in a white dominated members' club.
I'm not disputing that racism will exist in golf clubs, the question was if we have experienced it, heard or seen it. I've been lucky in that I have not.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. It must be horrible, there is no excuse for it. Has it put you off golf, is that the point of the thread?