Racism

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
what is obscene to some people may not be considered obscene to others though
take for example, the word paki, to most white people it's just a shortened version of pakistani, much like brit, scot, swede, dane etc, yet a lot of asian people see it as racism.
As a teenager from Blackburn, c. 45 years ago, I told my parents off for using that word - because it was used in an offensive way in general at the time, even though they didn't realise it.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
take for example, the word paki, to most white people it's just a shortened version of pakistani, much like brit, scot, swede, dane etc, yet a lot of asian people see it as racism.

I disagree, most white people know that Paki is an offensive term and don't use it.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never heard any racist comment at my club we have had people of most races represent the club and the better it is for it. Not saying we are completely innocent as I don’t know what has happened in the past or behind closed doors.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

It’s all about context, but everybody knows that “Paki” is a derogatory term, it is a word I don’t want to see repeated here either.

Thank you

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The worst I hear is casual racism / sexism / ageism in the form of "jokes" in email which are occassionally forwarded by members (never by the club).

Usually dismissed but I have asked the person forwarding some of them not to include me on their distribution list due to the content and was told I have no sense of humour (which may be true).

I have never heard or observed overt rasism at any club I have been a member of (or visited) - I hope I would have the guts to call it out if I did.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The first problem with people using the excuse that p*ki is the short form of Pakistani, is that it’s used for any Asian person, whether their heritage is from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc. The same can’t be said of Brit, Scot, swede etc.

The second is that it’s then used in an abusive way, the same as n*gger.

There is no other way of taking them other than as obscene and disgusting.

Last edited:

Diamond

Visit site
Not at my club .
The only abuse i have heard is because I’m a scouser !
And only when I win the sweep.

That's a good point about scousers. I have to admit football "banter" has meant that I too have been guilty of racism towards Liverpudlians even though I have many friends who are from merseyside and lived all my life 30 minutes away.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are VERY wide of the mark there. That word is strongly racist, and I believe that to be widely known by most people.

I suppose this kind of education is why we need to talk about these things. :oops:

RT1200

Visit site
Trust me, what I experienced was grossly offensive. It was a tirade of abusive comments about different ethnic groups made by two senior members in a public area heard by up to twenty other members. One of those involved was actually employed by the club. When one of the culprits was quietly spoken to about this later in the day, he confirmed his racist views using very explicit language including sexual references. Two complaints were made to the club's chairman and both dismissed on the grounds of victimising the racist culprit and not complaining about others who were allegedly involved. Beside causing me and my family a great deal of distress, this is a serious safeguarding concern. Would you want your children or grandchildren to hear this?

Sully

Visit site
Have to say I have recently taken up golf. I'm 39 , started playing at the range 6-7 months ago and then last month joined a club. The club I joined is the Shire and it's not as traditional as some clubs - some people liken it more to a gym then a club. However have to say all the staff are a really, really friendly bunch and very welcoming and the members of the club are a broad mix of races.

Being of Asian descent I was apprehensive and weirdly it's was from the smallest thing. I tried golf when I was 17 and my best man who is white would take me along to the range. after taking me a few times, the next time he went along the member of staff at the range who was a grown up man asked him" oh, you haven't got any of those friends here today" - sounds innocent enough - but he said it in a nasty , snide way and my best man knew what he meant by it.

It put me off. I cannot explain why, but I would have preferred someone to call me a P*ki or whatever - and you know where you are with them , but a snide comment like that makes you feels so uneasy - you know you're not welcome - but no one has said it. I really find it hard to explain. However I haven't been back to that range since.

I was apprehensive when I started golf, and thought would it be the same etc- thankfully the world has moved on in 22 years (well certainly has for the better around me) and I needn't have worried , in the Shire anyway.

Sully

Visit site
Trust me, what I experienced was grossly offensive. It was a tirade of abusive comments about different ethnic groups made by two senior members in a public area heard by up to twenty other members. One of those involved was actually employed by the club. When one of the culprits was quietly spoken to about this later in the day, he confirmed his racist views using very explicit language including sexual references. Two complaints were made to the club's chairman and both dismissed on the grounds of victimising the racist culprit and not complaining about others who were allegedly involved. Beside causing me and my family a great deal of distress, this is a serious safeguarding concern. Would you want your children or grandchildren to hear this?

Club sounds awful. South Herts had an incident and the members involved were suspended.

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crim...acist-tirade-on-northern-line-train-1-6121967

D

Deleted Member 1156

As for me I have said I hate united fans since I was a kid, the Scots hate England, so in in turn I try my best to hate them but they are that crap at sport and I have made some fantastic mates through work who are Scots, it makes it very hard. So that gets put into the banter category which I touched on earlier and probably upsets some people To the point of anxiety tablet.
Well there are some stereotypical views and comments that are just as bad as racism!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are VERY wide of the mark there. That word is strongly racist, and I believe that to be widely known by most people.

I suppose this kind of education is why we need to talk about these things. :oops:
We had a 15yr old work experience girl in last year for a week. She used that word on the factory floor whilst I was present, description of a corner shop near to where she lived in Newcastle. I and the rest of the staff just froze. I looked at her, told her it was totally unacceptable and never to use it again. She did not understand the problem, 'it's the corner shop, what's the problem?'. Nobody worked for 5 minutes whilst we calmly explained the 'problem'. It was clearly ingrained in her by her mum, dad was not around. I was proud of the other members of staff that day. I'm the boss, the bloke, management so why listen to me. Thankfully the women on the floor put her right as well. I've no doubt she still uses the word, she was ignorant and her mum is worse but we tried.

Until that day I had not heard the word used that way in my presence since the 80's growing up in the NW of England. I thought it had been consigned to history.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The whole racism debate is a difficult one for me right now. I am not racist and never have been but last year my job was outsourced to an Indian company. They have sent dozens of people over here to learn our jobs then make us redundant and move the jobs back to India. I don't like the people but it's not because they are a different race to me, it's because they have come to take my livelihood away. They are also not the brightest at what they do and I find that very frustrating. The lad that I am training up is actually a really good bloke and under normal circumstances I could see us being good friends.

Sully

Visit site
The whole racism debate is a difficult one for me right now. I am not racist and never have been but last year my job was outsourced to an Indian company. They have sent dozens of people over here to learn our jobs then make us redundant and move the jobs back to India. I don't like the people but it's not because they are a different race to me, it's because they have come to take my livelihood away. They are also not the brightest at what they do and I find that very frustrating. The lad that I am training up is actually a really good bloke and under normal circumstances I could see us being good friends.

Nothing to do with the people. That's the goals of the management. Saves costs do it in India. It's the same reason we can wear cheap clothes - we have them made in Asia- the job of making clothes is there and has been for ages - to most peoples advantage, they're now moving services out there- which means jobs are being lost here , much like the mill workers faced years ago too.

Sorry to hear about the work pressure and I hope your livelihood doesn't get affect, but the Indian learning your job isn't at fault here for you losing your job. It's the management .

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nothing to do with the people. That's the goals of the management. Saves costs do it in India. It's the same reason we can wear cheap clothes - we have them made in Asia- the job of making clothes is there and has been for ages - to most peoples advantage, they're now moving services out there- which means jobs are being lost here , much like the mill workers faced years ago too.

Sorry to hear about the work pressure and I hope your livelihood doesn't get affect, but the Indian learning your job isn't at fault here for you losing your job. It's the management .
I get what you are saying but it's not about who made the outsourcing decision. The point is the difficulty I now have trying to like someone who's purpose in life is to dramtically change my lifestyle ie. put me on the dole.

Sully

Visit site
I get what you are saying but it's not about who made the outsourcing decision. The point is the difficulty I now have trying to like someone who's purpose in life is to dramtically change my lifestyle ie. put me on the dole.

Would you hate a robot anymore for doing so? I would hold animosity towards the decision makers personally. Not for the poor sod who feels just as awkward as you.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, are you a white middle aged middle class male? Because if not you're not welcome here ;)
The worst I hear is casual racism / sexism / ageism in the form of "jokes" in email which are occassionally forwarded by members (never by the club).

Usually dismissed but I have asked the person forwarding some of them not to include me on their distribution list due to the content and was told I have no sense of humour (which may be true).

I have never heard or observed overt rasism at any club I have been a member of (or visited) - I hope I would have the guts to call it out if I did.

I think that this is what I meant by my earlier comments about racism at my former club. It is what come class as 'casual', inappropriate jokes and use of inappropriate terms rather than outright vitriol and hatred. As stated above, those same people also apply 'casual' sexism, ageism and pretty much any other sort of -ism you care to mention. Most are from a generation like mine where, sadly and shockingly, these things were seen as perfectly acceptable. Many people have realised that over the years and have evolved, sadly quite a number have not.