Quick Q regards wind direction rule

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Searched for this on the web, no joy, searched on here and got a topic about compass direction and the use of real compasses, so I think this might be a new question and hope someone can answer it.

So you know the course map on the back of your course manager, its pretty easy to work out where North is, and just as easy to find out what the wind direction is from the interweb on the morning of your comp. If you were to draw lines of the wind direction over the map would that be against the rules?

You may ask why you would want to do this, but in a course with dense tree growth/hollows you may not feel the wind or the wind you feel might be swirling, but the real deal is up there waiting for your ball when it climbs above them, apart from looking at the swirling tree tops you could get a feel (within a generous deviance of degrees) looking at the wind-lines on your course manager. You probably should have worked that out before going into the hollow, but we might forget that kinda thing in the heat of the moment... And if throughout the round your wind arrows are in the same direction as the actual wind that day, it might give you confidence as you line up in the hollow.

Or is there a big rule saying OI! CURLS!! -

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Not sure if it is against the rules, at a guess I would say it is ok, but what if the wind changes direction half way through the round?

Clouds can give you big picture of which way the wind is blowing as long as there is some blue up there too

IMO you can write whatever you want on the card or bit of paper, sea elevation, barometer readings that day, trade winds, its all completely irrelevant to the shot your playing right at that moment, use the force young padewan

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it is against the rules, at a guess I would say it is ok, but what if the wind changes direction half way through the round?

Clouds can give you big picture of which way the wind is blowing as long as there is some blue up there too

Yeah the concept would be say I draw a Northerly on the planner and if it changes to a NW during the round I would feel that and note it, by the time I got to the hollow I would just adjust the wind-line by 45 degrees. I know its really ballpark, just wondering if its against the rules!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMO you can write whatever you want on the card or bit of paper, sea elevation, barometer readings that day, trade winds, its all completely irrelevant to the shot your playing right at that moment, use the force young padewan

Trade winds you say?... (starts scribbling)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw a course planner the other day where it had a "compass" printed on every page.

No, it's not against the rules. Taking a compass (or compass app) with you is.

Yeah the concept would be say I draw a Northerly on the planner and if it changes to a NW during the round I would feel that and note it, by the time I got to the hollow I would just adjust the wind-line by 45 degrees. I know its really ballpark, just wondering if its against the rules!

by the time you do all that your partners have holed out for par and on the next tee :rolleyes:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
by the time you do all that your partners have holed out for par and on the next tee :rolleyes:

Yeah but my double bogey would be just as sweet as I knew the wind direction above the trees but never got the shot 10 feet off the ground :)

Cheers folks!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. Rule is only against equipment that measures wind speed and direction. Just how valuable knowing wind direction is alone is questionable. Without wind speed it is pretty pointless and since wind is dynamic it's unlikely to assist a great deal unless playing in a pretty constant usually heavy wind. Using the environment such as the movement in tree tops would give a gauge of direction and strength. But if you want to take a pen and write all over the stroke saver or course planner go ahead.