Question about Handicaps

44ark

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all

Just started playing golf about 2-3 months ago with some friends and have caught the bug.

At the moment we only play the local par 35 9 hole course down the road about 2 -3 times a week.

I started hitting it about 62-64 and have now got down to 49-53 on the last 3 outings.

What im asking is how you work out the handicap and what is the max handicap i thought it was 28 but on some forums i see people with handicaps of 35!!!.

Also the way i thought you worked it out was to take 3 cards and throw away the highest and work the average ove the 2.

I.e i scored 49 been a par 35 thats 14 over so would have a handicap of 28.

Please correct me if im wrong as at the moment ive just got better than one of my mates and the other is around the 44-46 mark on the same course.

We play of net score so would be nice to beat him as last time he beat me by 1 but should have a lower handicap then me i think.

Please let me know how this works as we have been having some arguments over the matter.

Thanks

Mark

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
i'm new to golf too but had a look at how to work your handicap out. officially i think you need to be a member of a club and play three rounds with a member. i think this is to keep you on the straight and narrow regarding rules and penalty strokes etc.
anyway i think max handicap is 28 for men but more for juniors or ladies.
to work out your handicap albeit unofficial you need to know which of 4 categories you fall into and like myself it would be 4
take your score for 18 holes and reduce your score on any hole where you scored more than double bogey down to double bogey.
ie par 5 maximum score is 7 even if you took 10
par 4 is 6 etc
you then have a gross adjusted score from which you deduct your handicap (28)
if your net score is less than par for the course you multiply how many below par you are by a factor of .4 which is for category 4 players it differs for each category.
if your net score is higher than par then your handicap remains the same
so in a nut shell my lad shot 102 on a par 71 on sunday his handicap is 28 so after adjusting his score down he scored 97 take away 28 equals 69. this is 2 below par so 2 multiplied by .4 equals .8 so handicap is reduced to 27.2

i've probaby got it all wrong but thats my understanding of it

hope this helps !!!!!!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome 44!

Max handicap for a man is 28 not sure for a woman

Handicap is based on a maximum score of double bogey ie you score 10 on a par 5 handicap commitee marks it as a 7.

There is more to it than that but someone of far more experience will fill you in on the finer details I'm sure!