PXG or P790

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Heading for club fitting in 2 days.

Has anyone tried PXG 0311?

Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

If the $$ don’t matter, are they really better irons?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not sure about the PXG but do like the look of the P790's. But if you're thinking those sorts of numbers, why not add the Titliest 716 T-MB to the equation? I've got the 3 iron, which is easy to hit, and have tried the 7 iron.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.

If the 7 was too much distance, can’t you use 8?

yes, price is high. 😂 on the broken bottle.....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm surprised by this. I've just got a set of P790's and spin was fine, c. 6,800 on average for 7 iron although I do have the lofts a little weak (if that changes anything?)

Had them out a couple of times this weekend and love them, the feel is unbelievable.

PXGs are nice and if you've got the cash then go for it, I couldn't justify that sort of money on clubs (although the P790's aren't exactly cheap!!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!

Last edited:

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!

I tried a few shots using a 7 in the range and they felt great! I was set on getting them but when i watched the reviews, a lot of opinions were of the “they are overpriced” kind.

hence the need to seek opinions of those who actually used them in comparison to the p790.

Havent changed clubs in 15y, so overpriced or not, i feel justified in getting them 😂

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't know if you know of Rick Shiel on YourTube, but:

https://youtu.be/qWmQKwLnc1Y

He is a pro in Manchester. Last year he took the PXG irons and put them against the Mizuno MP-5 and Titleist AP2 to see what came out on top.

Spoiler alert, the PXG's did. But marginally.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Those PXGs look okay but if we're talking dog's danglies, then they're never going to compare with my set of Halley Tournaments.

JB Halley backs.jpg

Unfortunately you'll be pressed to find a set of the Halleys for love or money so best to bite the bullet and make do with the PXGs.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't know if you know of Rick Shiel on YourTube, but:

https://youtu.be/qWmQKwLnc1Y

He is a pro in Manchester. Last year he took the PXG irons and put them against the Mizuno MP-5 and Titleist AP2 to see what came out on top.

Spoiler alert, the PXG's did. But marginally.

Thanks! I do subscribe to his channel. Ended up last night finally going for the 0311XF for 4-6i, and 0311 for 7-P.

Nos (swing and ball speeds, smash factor, dispersion) for both PXG and P790 were both really good for flushed shots, but:

1) the feel of the PXG was just phenomenal! It felt really solid.
2) distance variance on missed shots were tighter w the pxg.

Yes, PXGs nos were a bit better, but those nos alone dont warrant such a hefty price tag. What convinced me was how i FELT as i addressed the ball. I just knew i was going to hit it great.

I dont know if that makes sense at all, but that was the decider for me.