PXG Clubs

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have the PXG driving iron. I’ve owned driving irons from just about every other manufacturer, Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno, Titleist, Ping.
In my opinion the PXG is the nicest feeling club to hit.
I do think it is a bit of bitterness from people, it’s similar if you have a expensive watch or shoes etc. Comments like how much did you pay for those !

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
because higher handicap golfers don't tend to put the same swng on the club twice. one swing can have a quick tempo the next can be slow and smooth. how can you fit for that? i think a high handicaper would benefit from a fit in certain circumstances. being very tall or small for example. if am 6 ft 4. from the start i needed lobger and more upright clubs. shaft selection really wouldn't have helped my game at all

I agree to a certain extent but just being tall doesn't necessarily mean longer clubs, I'm 6ft 2 and a half and have standard length, lofts and lies, due to having long'ish arms. Lessons are clearly going to help but an experienced fitter will still be able to 'fit' someone even if the swing isn't 100% consistent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the PXG driving iron. I’ve owned driving irons from just about every other manufacturer, Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno, Titleist, Ping.
I do think it is a bit of bitterness from people, it’s similar if you have a expensive watch or shoes etc. Comments like how much did you pay for those !

That isn't the case for me. I would love to be able to afford top of the range clubs, but if I had enough money for a full set of PXGs, I would get a top set of Callaway/Mizuno/Titleist instead and still save myself some money.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Tend to agree, someone will chime in and say they hit the ball just as well with their 20 year old xyz driving iron.

D

Deleted member 18588

That isn't the case for me. I would love to be able to afford top of the range clubs, but if I had enough money for a full set of PXGs, I would get a top set of Callaway/Mizuno/Titleist instead and still save myself some money.

But by your own admission you have never even tried PXG.

Buy what you like but you have been dismissive of other people's choices without any supporting evidence.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But by your own admission you have never even tried PXG.

Buy what you like but you have been dismissive of other people's choices without any supporting evidence.
PXG are like the Paul Pogba of golf clubs. I'm sure they are great, but considering the price they ought to be the very best clubs in the bloody world! And there is little evidence to say they are.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
PXG are like the Paul Pogba of golf clubs. I'm sure they are great, but considering the price they ought to be the very best clubs in the bloody world! And there is little evidence to say they are.

How would you define the best clubs in the world? Just out of interest. Longest? Best feel?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You're implying that both are the most expensive of their 'types' which is not the case. PXG are certainly up there but when you look into the rarer Japanese gear that you can get like Honma (as a previous poster mentioned) than can be gold plated they're very expensive, start thinking £50k a set. The owners won't care if they're the best, they buy them because they can afford them and they like the exclusivity.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're implying that both are the most expensive of their 'types' which is not the case. PXG are certainly up there but when you look into the rarer Japanese gear that you can get like Honma (as a previous poster mentioned) than can be gold plated they're very expensive, start thinking £50k a set. The owners won't care if they're the best, they buy them because they can afford them and they like the exclusivity.
Well yes, that is the exact kind of mentality that I find bizarre, that's all.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Never hit a PXG so cannot comment from personal experience but doing some research, they use a hard steel alloy than most forged clubs that use a mild carbon steel. So should reduce wear and maybe chatter damage but should give it a harder feel to 1020 or 1025 steel forged clubs.

But every person I have spoken to has hit them has said they are lovely clubs, but the difference between them and say a set of Mizunos is not worth the difference in price. But each to their own, if you have the cash then why not.

But I do wonder how many of those that have bought PXG clubs have gone through a direct comparison with other manufactures and arrived at the conclusion that the PXGs are bet for them, and how many people bought them from the status, or because they assumed they were the best because they were much more expensive.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was on the range last week with a PXG 'employee' and tried out his 5, 7 and 9 irons against my Titleist MB's. You can't fault the build quality, they're superbly made and feel good with a very high attention to detail and were clearly more forgiving than my blades and about 1-1.5 clubs longer, which to be fair I kind of expected. He described the fitting process available and they clearly go into more detail and spend more time than some others I won't name but again for the price you'd expect it.

I can't justify the difference in price v a set of new Titleist irons but that's not to say they're not worth it. I've spent £lots on limited edition and CT tour Scotty Camerons and the arguments the same!

D

Deleted member 18588

I regularly play with several guys that have PXG and the last thing any of them could be accused of is buying the clubs for the image.

Each compared them with other brands before making their decision.

I have tried them and they are definitely superb feeling clubs.

Would I buy them if I could afford them? Yes I probably would but the point is what difference does it make to anyone else?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well yes, that is the exact kind of mentality that I find bizarre, that's all.

Why? It is about disposable income. What one person thinks is expensive, another does not. What is bizarre about spending money you won't miss, on something you want? It doesn't have to be better, you just might fancy it.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Why? It is about disposable income. What one person thinks is expensive, another does not. What is bizarre about spending money you won't miss, on something you want? It doesn't have to be better, you just might fancy it.

I would imagine it’s because some people couldn’t justify the cost for themselves. It’s the same with most things though, cars, watches, houses, even clothes. Everyone has a different perception of what’s expensive, but everyone things their perception is right. We are all guilty of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would imagine it’s because some people couldn’t justify the cost for themselves. It’s the same with most things though, cars, watches, houses, even clothes. Everyone has a different perception of what’s expensive, but everyone things their perception is right. We are all guilty of it.

I couldn't justify the costs but as I've said before, the aesthetics seem very off putting to my eye and even with them being fitted for me, I just don't feel I can pay that money and have a nagging doubt when I look at them. I have a similar issue with custom fitted G25's but hated the thick top line on the short clubs around the green. They performed well enough but decided to get the I25's that suited my eyes far better

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
...... and that's the point, those who don't have much disposable income look at the cost and those with huge disposable incomes look at quality at whatever the cost. Same as buying anything but rubbishing a set of clubs when you've never even seen or touched them simply because they are mega expensive is daft.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
...... and that's the point, those who don't have much disposable income look at the cost and those with huge disposable incomes look at quality at whatever the cost. Same as buying anything but rubbishing a set of clubs when you've never even seen or touched them simply because they are mega expensive is daft.

But I'd maintain that even if I one the lottery jackpot and money was no object I wouldn't get a set. I understand the engineering and fitting and the quality of the clubs but if you don't like them aesthetically behind the ball would it still be money well spent?