PXG Clubs

D

Deleted member 18588

But I'd maintain that even if I one the lottery jackpot and money was no object I wouldn't get a set. I understand the engineering and fitting and the quality of the clubs but if you don't like them aesthetically behind the ball would it still be money well spent?

Now that I can accept, a club must fit your eye

Personally I would never again try Pings or Callaway irons as I find them dog ugly and, yes, I have not only tried them but also owned them. No matter how much I tried they just never looked like golf clubs to me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess my point is about the 2nd hand market for them.

I know I have mentioned the suit analogy, but I cant think of a better one.

Yes, you can buy a suit form Burtons or John Lewis or even Tesco, which would be the equivalent of an of the shelf set of clubs that are completely standard. Yes, you can look 'ok' is an off the peg suit. and yes you can play with off the shelf clubs.

But go to a professional tailor and they will make a suit to fit your body shape in every way, which will fit perfectly.

My understanding of PXG, is that when you buy them NEW, YOU have them fitted (Tailored) to your exacting requirements at the time of the fitting.

So, if you sell your PXGs its like selling YOUR tailored suit, unless the buyer has your exact body shape, they would not fit..

and NO I don't work for PXG.. or a Tailor!! :D
I was just interested in the usefulness of a second hand tailored suit!

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

With regards to the other poster who asked why high h/c don't get fitted, why buy second hand, it isn't just about your h/c, it is cost. I have other priorities and can not justify a fitted set. I could but some other family activity would miss out and it is not critical enough to me. In a few years, kids will be away, more spare cash then that will be a nice treat to myself. Until then I'll keep going with what I have. I'm sure this is the same for many other golfers.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now that I can accept, a club must fit your eye

Personally I would never again try Pings or Callaway irons as I find them dog ugly and, yes, I have not only tried them but also owned them. No matter how much I tried they just never looked like golf clubs to me.

Maybe I am weird, but for me, it is about empirical performance. If I got fitted and the club that suited me best was the "most ugly" in the world, I would be comfortable knowing it is the best performer. I use quotes because I don't really get judging clubs (or any sports equipment) by looks. Maybe it's due to backgrounds in other sports, but function is king, and form is a nicety at best.

I think this is something that holds golfers back in general, not just on the equipment front, but I see so many people who want a beautiful swing. The ball and scorecard don't care how pretty your swing looks if you can create good impact conditions and get low scores, you win.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But I'd maintain that even if I one the lottery jackpot and money was no object I wouldn't get a set. I understand the engineering and fitting and the quality of the clubs but if you don't like them aesthetically behind the ball would it still be money well spent?

I've never said anyone with bundles of cash will buy them, just that IF they like them and have the cash then the money doesn't come into the equation

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe I am weird, but for me, it is about empirical performance. If I got fitted and the club that suited me best was the "most ugly" in the world, I would be comfortable knowing it is the best performer. I use quotes because I don't really get judging clubs (or any sports equipment) by looks. Maybe it's due to backgrounds in other sports, but function is king, and form is a nicety at best.

I think this is something that holds golfers back in general, not just on the equipment front, but I see so many people who want a beautiful swing. The ball and scorecard don't care how pretty your swing looks if you can create good impact conditions and get low scores, you win.

Everyone has their own order of criteria.
Yes, performance is probably the most important aspect but, to a lot of people - me included- looks come a pretty close second.
And, of course, looks are personal.
Confidence plays a huge part in this game and you need to have confidence in the tools you use. And looks is a big part of developing that confidence.
Looking down at the club and ball, you have to like what you see.
I have to say that you could give me clubs that are absolutely tailored to my incredibly variable swing but if they look, to me, like a dog turd on a stick then they ain't going anywhere near my bag.
Not having seen PXG clubs in the metal, I can't really give a proper opinion but, from what I've seen in pictures and video, they would struggle for my eye.
Also it's the justification of such a huge price tag. I have absolutely no problem with those who want to spend their money the way they want to spend it.
I can justify 6-700 notes on a new set but I doubt that I could even consider more 1000. That's just me. I can't see how a set costing 3000 quid is going to help me more than a set costing 600, especially when the shaft and grip would most likely be the same in the cheaper set.
As to buying 2nd hand....yeah, why not. If the price is right and the looks suit.
Any club can be retrofitted to a point although this adds to the cost.
Not sure I'll be joining the PXG brigade any time soon though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I do think performance is the most important thing, but I wouldn't get something that I actually think is ugly, as it would put me off when I'm looking down at the club head, which in turn would affect performance from a mental standpoint. I think PXG clubs are ugly as sin, with the black rivets all over them they look like they've been bolted together by a sheet metal worker.

D

Deleted member 18588

I do think performance is the most important thing, but I wouldn't get something that I actually think is ugly, as it would put me off when I'm looking down at the club head, which in turn would affect performance from a mental standpoint. I think PXG clubs are ugly as sin, with the black rivets all over them they look like they've been bolted together by a sheet metal worker.

Have you actually seen them other than in adverts?

They actually look very similar to a blade and the "rivets " aren't visible at address. Mind you I have to say you have a very strange idea of what a rivet looks like.

The weights, which most resemble an Allen screwhead sit flush, not proud, of the clubhead.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
The only way to settle this is if PXG donated a set of clubs including the fitting to me and see if my handicap comes down.
I promise I would be absolutely honest about their performance and give regular feedback on this thread..

....worth a shot? :whoo:

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only way to settle this is if PXG donated a set of clubs including the fitting to me and see if my handicap comes down.
I promise I would be absolutely honest about their performance and give regular feedback on this thread..

....worth a shot? :whoo:

OI !!!

This is MY thread.. I should have the fitting AND the free clubs

I too would be honest.. and as a higher handicapper, I would also give an honest opinion to the theory of fitting should help every handicap player ;)

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you actually seen them other than in adverts?

They actually look very similar to a blade and the "rivets " aren't visible at address. Mind you I have to say you have a very strange idea of what a rivet looks like.

The weights, which most resemble an Allen screwhead sit flush, not proud, of the clubhead.

Good point, I like them even more in the flesh. Nice weight to them too.

D

Deleted member 21258

Give me a set and I'll happily lie through my teeth and say whatever you want 

When you have finished with them, which will probably be the week after receiving them, can I have them:ears::D

I love the look of the weights in the clubs, something about the clubs that oozes sexiness;)

I'm off to ebay tonight to setup a search.