PXG Clubs

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
A girl joined at our club and we played a few holes together. She had matching bling with bag and clubs and headcovers. I thought they were really gawdy and some cheap Chinese tat until someone told me they were very expensive!

Having said that I couldn't tell you what most of my playing partners have club-wise.

D

Deleted member 18588

There appears to be an awful lot of uninformed comment on these clubs from people who have never even tried them.

Or is it good old-fashioned British bitterness and jealousy from those who can't afford them and are resentful of those who can.

Anyway returning to the OP I believe that there is a fair amount of retrospective fitting available.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There appears to be an awful lot of uninformed comment on these clubs from people who have never even tried them.

Or is it good old-fashioned British bitterness and jealousy from those who can't afford them and are resentful of those who can.

Anyway returning to the OP I believe that there is a fair amount of retrospective fitting available.

Thanks.
I have never tried them, perhaps if I dropped 15 shots I might consider something nice..

my question, as you have rightly answered, was about the 2nd hand use, and if there is a good retrospective fitting, then their 2nd hand market would make more sense!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wouldn't want a set. Do nothing for me personally and think for the price even second hand they are over priced. Factor in buying a second hand set designed for someone else and it seems like a recipe for disaster.

I get the engineering etc that goes into them and to me it's no different to someone buying and using a set of Miura or similar. High price, brilliantly made but not something designed to help the average golfer

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
High end Honma can make PXG look a bit low rent.

If someone has the money, why not, but I agree with the OP, buying someone elses cf makes no sense. They are still expensive, and if you have that much cash, buy new.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not sure about all of the clubs they make, the irons look nice, but I was talking to a friend who is a pro, he was at a training event with a well respected putting coach, the opinion of said coach based on feedback from some pros was less than complementary about the putters, but they are signed on contracts and have to use them.
Maybe people just don’t get on with some of the clubs and need to move them on to buy new stuff.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Back to the OP I guess it depends on how much and how easy it is to do retrospective fitting. They are undoubtedly expensive clubs but some people love to have things like that in their bag to show off.
I've never tried them and only seen them in magazines or online so have no idea how good/bad they are but not all people will be buying them for that reason.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are they any different to any other fitted club? I've never been fitted for a club so theoretically all of my clubs are not right for me. Would PXG be any 'more wrong'?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If you look at the video section of the GM website, Joel Tadman did a vid about his experience at a PXG fitting. Worth a look

I recently had a putter fitting at Core Golf in Thame. And had the opportunity to try out a whole raft of putters including PXG.

I like the feel of the putters, but hate the mock diamond inserts, they look tacky and too busy and at £675 way above my pay grade.

I’m unlikely to own an Aston Martin either

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are they any different to any other fitted club? I've never been fitted for a club so theoretically all of my clubs are not right for me. Would PXG be any 'more wrong'?

I guess my point is about the 2nd hand market for them.

I know I have mentioned the suit analogy, but I cant think of a better one.

Yes, you can buy a suit form Burtons or John Lewis or even Tesco, which would be the equivalent of an of the shelf set of clubs that are completely standard. Yes, you can look 'ok' is an off the peg suit. and yes you can play with off the shelf clubs.

But go to a professional tailor and they will make a suit to fit your body shape in every way, which will fit perfectly.

My understanding of PXG, is that when you buy them NEW, YOU have them fitted (Tailored) to your exacting requirements at the time of the fitting.

So, if you sell your PXGs its like selling YOUR tailored suit, unless the buyer has your exact body shape, they would not fit..

and NO I don't work for PXG.. or a Tailor!! :D
I was just interested in the usefulness of a second hand tailored suit!

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why is it that higher handicappers think that club fitting won't work for them, picking up a secondhand set of irons that have shafts that are too soft/stiff and lofts and lies that are out are not going to help your game at all. If you can afford it go and get fitted for a set of PXG's, like any other set of top end equipment if fitted well they will help your game.
A very good friend of mine is the Tour Manager for a well known golf manufacturer and has 'fitted' numerous Tour Pro's and on the whole he is making minor tweaks and adjustments rather than wholesale changes, they're looking to lose 1 or 2 shots a round which is the difference over 4 rounds of being successful as opposed to missing the cut.
When he goes on a 'Tour Club Fitting' day to golf clubs he can't believe the equipment the average golfer uses and after being fitted they're amazed at the improvements.

PXG are aiming for a specific market and seem to be very successful and I doubt they care about the secondhand market. If you pick up a used set you'll have no problem finding a club fitter to adjust them to suit.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it that higher handicappers think that club fitting won't work for them, picking up a secondhand set of irons that have shafts that are too soft/stiff and lofts and lies that are out are not going to help your game at all. If you can afford it go and get fitted for a set of PXG's, like any other set of top end equipment if fitted well they will help your game.
A very good friend of mine is the Tour Manager for a well known golf manufacturer and has 'fitted' numerous Tour Pro's and on the whole he is making minor tweaks and adjustments rather than wholesale changes, they're looking to lose 1 or 2 shots a round which is the difference over 4 rounds of being successful as opposed to missing the cut.
When he goes on a 'Tour Club Fitting' day to golf clubs he can't believe the equipment the average golfer uses and after being fitted they're amazed at the improvements.

PXG are aiming for a specific market and seem to be very successful and I doubt they care about the secondhand market. If you pick up a used set you'll have no problem finding a club fitter to adjust them to suit.

because higher handicap golfers don't tend to put the same swng on the club twice. one swing can have a quick tempo the next can be slow and smooth. how can you fit for that? i think a high handicaper would benefit from a fit in certain circumstances. being very tall or small for example. if am 6 ft 4. from the start i needed lobger and more upright clubs. shaft selection really wouldn't have helped my game at all

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most clubs can be easily tweaked at low cost if taken to a fitter or Pro.

Given the likely discount on new, this sounds like a sensible way of getting an interesting set of clubs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
High end Honma can make PXG look a bit low rent.

If someone has the money, why not, but I agree with the OP, buying someone elses cf makes no sense. They are still expensive, and if you have that much cash, buy new.

Golf clubs are easily altered.

You can add length to a shaft, you can chop a bit of length. You can alter lie and loft cheaply. If you are a regular or stiff shaft and like the look of them and the overall generics are similar then its cheap to fine tune them to you. Buying second hand isn't dumb if you know what you are looking for and know what is within the parameters of the club you're buying.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to the OP I guess it depends on how much and how easy it is to do retrospective fitting. They are undoubtedly expensive clubs but some people love to have things like that in their bag to show off.
I've never tried them and only seen them in magazines or online so have no idea how good/bad they are but not all people will be buying them for that reason.

I was quoted £400 to have my hole set of irons re-shafted with the top end shafts that were fitted for me a proper fitting session. It's no bad way to go if you like the heads but want them fitted to you, also rejuvenating your current set rather than buying new