PXG Clubs

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ok, before I start...

These are NOT for me.. a high handicapper..

but I have a question.. not so much about the price, as yes we ALL know they are expensive..

BUT

I see a lot of second had once appearing on Bookface sale groups

My understanding was.. that they are expensive as you buy them new as they are fitted and very bespoke to the client buying them. They have weights everywhere and would be matched to the clients wing/path/speed and everything...

WHY would any one buy such a bespoke set of clubs used? Would they not then have to go and have them, refitted??

Like I said, not for me, as I would unlikely benefit and I like my titlests.

D

Deleted member 15344

Part of it - maybe status symbol , a bit “look at me” when you say you have PXG clubs.

Seen a few use them and they do nothing for their game in fact the opposite but if that’s what floats peoples boats then away they go

I tired some at the fitting session I had for my irons and they offered nothing more than what the TM 790 did - in fact the TM were better and also looked better

For £8k for a set of clubs you are getting the status of having PXG - the fitter said that loads are buying them from him but he knows 90% of them will get rid of them within 12 months and go to back to the likes of Ping/Titleist etc

D

Deleted member 21258

I would throw into the mix, why not (yes there are loads of reasons and if you feel the need to start thinking/typing the reasons, then you have missed my point).

I would if a set came up for the right price, why not. (and that comes from someone who plays with an old set of x14s)

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess my point is... WHY.. it would be like you buying MY tailored suit..

Unless we have the exact same bodyshape (and if you did, I would pity you ;) ), it would not fit or look like a sack!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're not a member of the same group I'm in are you? 'Golf Clubs For Sale Wanted UK'? Someone listed a PXG wedge just two days ago and a few people were saying the same as you - why buy a ridiculously priced set that was fitted for someone else?

Personally I think only rich idiots buy them in the first place. I highly doubt they are better than the other top manufacturer's clubs, their target market appears to be people who just want to wave them around and show how wealthy they are.

D

Deleted member 21258

I guess my point is... WHY.. it would be like you buying MY tailored suit..

Unless we have the exact same bodyshape (and if you did, I would pity you ;) ), it would not fit or look like a sack!

There you go asking why(or the reverse of why not :D )

I suppose if you can afford to buy them and don't wish to pay the new price and fancy giving them ago, then why not, I know I would for the right price. Its nothing to do with ego, just why not.

Anyway how much difference does the odd bit of weight make to a swing like mine.:mmm:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally I think only rich idiots buy them in the first place. .

A bit over the top I think. If you've got pots of money why would it matter spending twice or three times what someone else would, it certainly doesn't make them idiots. Some people won't spend more than £40 on a round of golf or £50 on a meal out does it make everyone else who'd happily pay much more an idiot??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of sparkly ads for them during The Masters. Never heard of them before but I guess the advertising has worked as I have now, but didn't realise they were mega expensive so won't even bother going to look them up as a candidate for a new set of irons.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For the average golfer, fitting is largely a load of marketing hype (IMHO) and as long as they're not miles away from a standard set then the average golfer could hit them fine.

If you like them then go buy them.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're not a member of the same group I'm in are you? 'Golf Clubs For Sale Wanted UK'? Someone listed a PXG wedge just two days ago and a few people were saying the same as you - why buy a ridiculously priced set that was fitted for someone else?

Personally I think only rich idiots buy them in the first place. I highly doubt they are better than the other top manufacturer's clubs, their target market appears to be people who just want to wave them around and show how wealthy they are.

No different to buying a Ferrari. Spend your money on what you like.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lovely looking clubs. Played with a bloke who had full PXG through the bag and they're very nice looking in the flesh. Apparently their fitting process is 2nd to none as well. I'd buy some if they gave the best numbers for me and I had the disposable income to pay for them.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site

yes, I am a member there, but thought I would pose the question to the populous here! (i didn't ask the question there though!)

No different to buying a Ferrari. Spend your money on what you like.

Ferrari isn't a comparison in my opinion, as thats n off the shelf item (well excluding colours and tweaks)

My understanding is when you buy these clubs they are literal personalised to you, much like a bespoke tailored suit.

I don't think I know anyone that would buy someone else's tailored suit:confused:

(just for the record, I could afford them new, but would not buy them as they would not be a justified cost and wouldn't drop 20 shots off my handicap!!!)

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
A bit over the top I think. If you've got pots of money why would it matter spending twice or three times what someone else would, it certainly doesn't make them idiots. Some people won't spend more than £40 on a round of golf or £50 on a meal out does it make everyone else who'd happily pay much more an idiot??

I agree, everyone has a different perception of what is expensive. If people have the money and can afford it why not get them. I think the second hand market for them is a strange one, I’m sure they can be refit though

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
. I think the second hand market for them is a strange one, I’m sure they can be refit though

Judging by some of the comments, fitting is not going to help most average golfers, so I'd suspect that any secondhand fitted clubs aren't going to harm the average golfer either

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

It depends. Paying more for something that's actually worth more is fine. I believe PXG are just targeting people who want to show off that they have expensive clubs though and don't actually offer any added benefit.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends. Paying more for something that's actually worth more is fine. I believe PXG are just targeting people who want to show off that they have expensive clubs though and don't actually offer any added benefit.

So, how do you conclude that they don't add any benefit given you've never been fitted for them or tried them ?