Putting Stats

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think most people just count the putts on green, myself I chip more often anyway from off green but the odd occasion I putt, I dont count it in putting records.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Stevo,
Statistically, on tour at least, it doesn't count as a putt. But I think you need to be a little more honest with yourself if you're generating stats from which to maybe establish what you need to work on.
For me, if I'm 15 feet away from the hole a couple of feet off the green but on a nice bit of fringe, I would putt that 99% of the time unless there was a very good reason not to. And if I subsequently take three to get down, I think to not regard that as three-putt is to risk deluding yourself a little as to the state of your putting for the sake of favourably manipulating your putting stats.
Just my opinion, but if I take three from a straightforward position just off the green I would see that as a failure on my part.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Gemerally speaking, no. But Jezz does have a point.

As long as you stick with the same criteira for your stats it doesn't matter. I've always done my stats for putts taken on the green, as I think that's how Scoresaver 2 prefers it, and how there systems of targets works.

Just don't change the way you do it at some point in the future, as your historical figures will mean squat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with Jezz. If I am using a putter from the fringes of the green then I'll count is for putting stats (but not as a GIR) and take the consequences if I three jab the hole. If however I pull a wedge, I'll only count the putts once I'm on the green (with my short game that may be several shots later)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see Jezz'z point but if I lost my putter and used a long iron it would be counted as a putt on the green but how many would call it a putt from the fringe over a different surface I wonder? :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
After my pathetic attempt to chip less than 2 foot from the fringe to green in a crazy moment of madness trying to leave a ball short of the hole, I'm now putting these and if necessary counting them as 3 putts.

I love chipping and rarely mess it up, but this freaked me out....from now on, if there's only a couple of feet of fringe, I'm putting, and sod the stats. If the flag is under 10 foot away, I deserve to count it as 3. :)

If I'm 5-10 foot short of the green (plus 15 yards to the hole) and go with a "texas wedge" for some reason, I'm not counting 3......no way, Jose....

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I reckon you have three choices:

#1 Count putts on the green only.

#2 Count putts on the green and fringe only.

#3 Count all strokes taken with the putter.

-----------------------

#1 has the advantage of being the normal method so you can compare your stats to the pros. However, is that comparison really relevant or necessary ?

You could argue that #2 is a more realistic measure.

It is up to the player to decide which method will generate the most relevant information for him or her. The key to success, whichever method is used, is to be consistent.

Finally I would add that for mid to lower handicappers the number of putts per round has to be read in conjunction with the number of greens hit in regulation.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

-----------------------

A 4th choice is to count up the length of putts holed over the round. Above 75ft is good putting

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Stevo,
Statistically, on tour at least, it doesn't count as a putt. But I think you need to be a little more honest with yourself if you're generating stats from which to maybe establish what you need to work on.
For me, if I'm 15 feet away from the hole a couple of feet off the green but on a nice bit of fringe, I would putt that 99% of the time unless there was a very good reason not to. And if I subsequently take three to get down, I think to not regard that as three-putt is to risk deluding yourself a little as to the state of your putting for the sake of favourably manipulating your putting stats.
Just my opinion, but if I take three from a straightforward position just off the green I would see that as a failure on my part.

On the flip side to that Jezz, if you putt from 5 - 10 feet or whatever from the fringe and class that as a putt. Do you also mark your stats as GIR?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

-----------------------

A 4th choice is to count up the length of putts holed over the round. Above 75ft is good putting

or poor chipping. :p

if you're knocking them in consistently close good putting would be nowhere near 75ft

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Twire,
To be honest I don't really keep my stats. It just seems that the motivating factor for not counting putts from the fringe might sometimes be to boost your putting stats a little artificially. If I'm 20 feet away, I would generally be expecting to get down in two with a putter whether or not I was on the green. Only counting it as two putts just doesn't really seem right if the only reason is to 'protect' your putts per round stats.
But as I say - just my opinion,

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Finally I would add that for mid to lower handicappers the number of putts per round has to be read in conjunction with the number of greens hit in regulation.

A point I have made in the past. Just looking at your putts per round without analysing is a waste of time. If you miss every green but chip close and 1 putt, you'll have a great putting stat. But hit every GIR and 2 putt most but 3 putt a couple and you're knocking on the door of 40 - not good in anyones book.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

A point I have made in the past. Just looking at your putts per round without analysing is a waste of time. If you miss every green but chip close and 1 putt, you'll have a great putting stat. But hit every GIR and 2 putt most but 3 putt a couple and you're knocking on the door of 40 - not good in anyones book.

I had this problem when using a well known stats analyser. It said I was driving like a 7 H'capper GIR was like a 8 H'capper and putting was like 28 Capper. :( :(

But I was puting putts from the fringe down as putts as well.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Twire,
To be honest I don't really keep my stats. It just seems that the motivating factor for not counting putts from the fringe might sometimes be to boost your putting stats a little artificially. If I'm 20 feet away, I would generally be expecting to get down in two with a putter whether or not I was on the green. Only counting it as two putts just doesn't really seem right if the only reason is to 'protect' your putts per round stats.
But as I say - just my opinion,

I think you are using an artificial method yourself, by counting every shot with the putter you are lowering the number of shots from off the green so your general play stats are affected. Its all about number of strokes regardless of what personally makes you feel better in your accounting. Ive used a putter with a full golf swing before now, just having a laugh with my nephew, should I count it as a putt, it was about 40yds off the green?

There is a putting surface called the green, if I used a 3 iron on the green it would be considered a putt with a 3 iron, if it was on the fringe it would not. If I took a putter off a par 3 tee, then pitched onto the green and knocked it in with a 3 iron, how many putts would you record?(Ive been known to get a putter 70yds or more off the tee)putting is for the putting surface to me, what ever club you choose elsewhere is your choice but its still a shot no matter how you mark it. ;)