Putting rules question

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Can anyone just answer this simple one for me: am i right in thinking you can remove anything from the line of your putt that is dead (grass, straw, pebbles etc) or not attached but you can't press down on any marks?

I always been sure that is the case but recently i got nervous in the medal that i might be breaking the rules if i moved some sand from my line so i didn't do it, in case i was going to be accused of cheating! Now in mire of confusion...

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Trueblue - My understanding is this:

1: You can remove anything from the line of your putt as long as it's not physically attached to the green.

2: You also can repair old pitchmarks etc that appear on the line of your putt. However (and this is where is gets a bit hazy) I don't believe you are allowed to touch or repair spike marks on your line. You just have to accept the fact that they are there and get on with it.

If i'm wrong please could somebody enligten me, and Trueblue.

Cheers,

DHM.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think DHM has got it spot on. You can even use a towel to brush loose impediments out of the way if you so desire, as long as you don't press anything down.

knottynoonoo

Hacker
Visit site
Hi
can I make a suggestion
buy yourself the "Decisions on the rules of Golf" book.cost approx £15
The story isn't that good but the rules and decisions are all explained as you go along.
I think its updated every other year and its based upon actual rules questions and situations.
Not only is it good for situations such as the one you have encountered but also good for resolving disputes.
There are also some really bizarre ones like when is a snake an outside agency or a loose impediment rule 23/6.5
Cheers Knotty