Putting fuel in to your tank

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty random and largely depending upon how poor I feel that day. If fuelling my little runaround usually only £25-30 when getting on the red.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also used to always put fuel in my car on a Monday. I used to take out cash for the pub etc at the weekend and I knew that if I kept what was left in my wallett I would fritter it away so I used to go to the petrol station on a Monday morning and put in whatever amount i had left in my wallet after the weekend.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I normally refill when there's about 100 miles left in the tank, and fill it up. It's something I've done for years.
I do the same with my Missus car. Now she has a Mini, but her last car was a Citroën C6 which did about 25mpg and cost £100 to fill from empty. Lovely car but I eventually convinced her it was a money pit and we let it go.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always fill my car at the pump refilling depends a bit on what I have to do, always refill before long trips unless it's virtually full, otherwise generally refill at under quarter of a tank but before it says 50 miles left.

D-S

Visit site
Unless you can’t afford it at the time, I can see no valid reason for not filling the tank every time you are approaching a level that concerns you (based on your personal petrol/diesel range anxiety). Doing anything else just means spending more time at filling stations. Maybe it’s an Alan Partridge thing.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a random irritation in that I just cannot stand the bother of putting fuel in the car. So it's usually around 80 miles left and then fill and hope it's a good while before I need to bother again.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I usually fill up at half empty.
Habit I suppose having had elderly parents living a long drive away.
Tend to also look at it as money in the bank/tank as well, fuel seldom dropping in price.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
pre c19 when i commuted regularly (120-140 mile round trip) I would fill it to the brim and run it down to about 10% full when the warning light would go on (usually at around 75 miles)

now i rarely fill the car more than a third full....

D-S

Visit site
Do those that only fill a little bit of their tank at a time also just fill their washer fluid up to a third full when it becomes low, how about oil?
What is the benefit of going to a filling station 3 times more often than needed?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do those that only fill a little bit of their tank at a time also just fill their washer fluid up to a third full when it becomes low, how about oil?
What is the benefit of going to a filling station 3 times more often than needed?

Because where I fill up I am often stopping for something else anyway eg shopping at the supermarket, under normal circumstances I only go for fuel once a week.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And you've probably got a magic clothes basket that takes your dirty clothes, washes and irons them and puts them away ready to wear again. Worth every penny ?

Modern house, I've just put the washing on and will transfer it to tumble and she will put away in morning whilst I prepare kids breakfast

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because where I fill up I am often stopping for something else anyway eg shopping at the supermarket, under normal circumstances I only go for fuel once a week.

Once a week? If you filled up fully could that not stretch to once a fornight? And just stop at somewhere else like a Tesco express or other non rip off shops

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once a week? If you filled up fully could that not stretch to once a fornight? And just stop at somewhere else like a Tesco express or other non rip off shops

With reference to my OP I do not believe in filling up and running around with a full tank of fuel.
Why pay out money just to cart fuel around for a 200 miles.