Putting Block

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all

Dont know if anyone else has had the same prob, but im playing steady at the mo down to 22 from 28 in April, but at the moment my putting is holding me back because im so cautious of 3 putting im not giving myself the chance to go for the first putt and just seem to be mentaly lagging up safe all the time, i average 31-32 putts per round but know this could be better, ANY ADVICE anyone ?

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, firstly,unless I am wrong on the stats here for a 22 handicap 31-32 puts is pretty good.

I had a similar problem, in that I was leaving my puts about a foot short all the time if they were over 6 feet away. I was so nervous about over run, I could just not make the hole in the first place. I'm sure you know the saying "never up, never down" !!

I talked to somebody about this and they watched me put a few 10-12 footers. It turns out I was stopping my club in my swing as it went just passed my feet. The guy recommended I let the club flow through a little more to finish the stroke. Now, this has not cured the problem 100%, but it has really helped me. Simple but effective.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 1147

Don't be too unhappy with 31-32, I average 34!

But then again maybe I hit more GIR than you.

What is your % for greens in reg'?

Putting is all mental for me - I stand over putts pleading with myself to not 3 putt!

I think I mainly need to find a constant routine which I like. As, supposedly, my stroke is fine as long as I keep my left wrist straight!

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks Guys, i will look at my swing thorugh to see if i am stopping short, my GIR is abuot 18% pretty low.

But toay at least i was aware of my prob and gave myself more chances on the green, and i sank a 30 footer for a birdie which gave me a nice warm glow, good job considering i had just doubled Bogyed the 1st 3 holes

D

Deleted member 1147

The basic tips I've been given for putting are:

Head over the ball - take your putting stance, drop a ball from your left eye(if right handed), where it lands is where the ball should be when putting.

Don't let your wrists break on impact (makes me pull putts). I practice this by putting a ball between my left wrist and the putter grip.

If you use a ball with a line on it. Line up the line with your target, then when you've hit the ball check if the ball is rolling true by seeing if the line on the ball runs end over end.

If not, this means you aren't hitting it where you are aiming. If so and the ball misses, you have a problem with your lining up of putts.

Hope those help!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
31-32 is OK! You know in yourself when it's safe to go for putts or not. I always lag the ball up and play safe, unless the "conditions" mean I can have a free run. I don't leave 10 footers short (well, sometimes!) but this is the sort of range where going for it is safe. On 20 footers, I'll just try to get it within a 3 ft radius circle around the hole. Uphill putts are safe, whereas downhill ones probably aren't! You have to make up your own mind. If you are not giving really makeable putts a chance, just be more positive.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I got round that by not spending too long over the putt. I stand a little away have a couple of sweeps at the speed I think is needed for the putt to get past the hole, especially inside 25 feet or so. I then go over the putt, trying to hit the ball fairly soon with that same motion. If you spend too long ever it you tend to loose that feel you had with practice putts. I also leave a gap between the ball and putter. I then eye a piece of grass right behind the centre line of the ball, keeping my eye on that spot through the putt. I don’t look at the ball at all when putting and this helps stop your eye following the ball as it’s struck, which in turn helps you get right through the putt.

Basically I decide the pace with my practice putts and the minimum time spent over the putt is for alignment.

I think the practice putt is really important.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
31 putts is pretty good. According to scoresaver 2 I should be averaging 33 putts off my 14 handicap. The best way of getting round the problem of lag putting is to envisage a 3 foot cirlce around the hole and aim to get the ball in that every time. Then all you need to do is become totally proficient at those knee tremblers.

Seriously though by giving yourself a bigger target to aim at you sub-consciously relax more and the stroke become more fluid.

The other thing I suggest is developing a pre-shot routine and sticking with it on every putt. This gives your brain a fall back mechanism when under pressure. Personally after looking at the line, I take two practice swings to get a feel for the weight, address the ball, make sure my putter is aimed at my target point, one last look at the hole (tilting, not lifting the head) and then commit