Putters design/ Scotty Cameroon

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the SC latest:

I appreciate the form but not sure it delivers any more “function”.

Has the putter design been exhausted? We have the widest range of MOI, toe/heel weights, materials, shaft and grip options, so nothing is left to innovate on?

Do we only buy a new putter because we like the look of it and fancy a change? 🙃

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think putters are probably the club where 'technology' makes the least difference anyway. It's just about what feels right in your hands and gives you confidence. Early this year I switched to an Odyssey mallet I bought second hand for £100, put a different grip on it, and I love it. I doubt the latest and greatest Odyssey would blow it out of the water for performance. I think the grip you have on it as just as important as the head.

That said, I would love to try a LAB DF3 just to see if it does anything, since that's about the top level 'tech' I can think of.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Think about putters is sight lines etc make a massive difference to how you aim it. You could have the same putter with two different sight lines on it and it will cause you to aim very differently. Everyone’s eyes are constantly changing not to mention subtle changes to stroke and confidence. Putters will always sell regardless of how many models are brought out. Golfers are always looking for something better, even though in most cases to get that something better it’s then that has to change and not the putter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there are two iconic styles. The Anser which every manufacturer has copied since Ping brought it out and the Spider which is about as good a large MOI putter as you can get and is also a model being copied everywhere. There can't be too much more that can be done in terms of MOI and it is only cosmetic refinements that can be tinkered with

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think there are two iconic styles. The Anser which every manufacturer has copied since Ping brought it out and the Spider which is about as good a large MOI putter as you can get and is also a model being copied everywhere. There can't be too much more that can be done in terms of MOI and it is only cosmetic refinements that can be tinkered with
Agreed.

Same as all the other clubs in the last 20 years or so then?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agreed.

Same as all the other clubs in the last 20 years or so then?
Up to a point. Although we have seen some refinements in driver technology, and wedge design (Hi toe etc) but not a lot. A cavity iron is a cavity iron and a blade is exactly that. Some changes to MOI and stronger lofts but thats it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm tempted by this, but ...

View attachment 55419

... in this case, resistance may not be futile.

I'd give that 7 out of 9

On topic, I cant visually get on with any of the oversize putters and I don't think they're practical in a golf bag already tight with clubs, even more so if paired with an oversize grip
A milled anser blade style and regular (thin) pistol grip holds far more appeal and confidence for me (& far less faff) ... Oh and no sight line/s thanks very much (y)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I'd give that 7 of 9 one.

On topic, I cant visually get on with any of the oversize putters and I don't think they're practical in a golf bag already tight with clubs, even more so if paired with an oversize grip
A milled anser blade style and regular (thin) pistol grip holds far more appeal and confidence for me (& far less faff) ... Oh and no sight line/s thanks very much (y)
;)

RichA

Visit site
I'd give that 7 out of 9

Yep. I don't like sight lines. My ZB3 has a dot to show me where the middle is, just in case I forget that it's in the middle.
IMG_3742.png

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There are only so many variations on a theme for most golf clubs now. For me, Scotty Cameron is not an innovator, but more a copier of styles, but then charge a lot of money for it. A lot of it is in the mind, and what appeals to you when looking down on it. But for me it's more about tech speak rather than any real benefits from the newer designs.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
All my handicap qualifying scores this year were done with this Ben Sayers putter I bought brand new in 1989. It was in a sale as it was a couple of years old. £25.
A little line on the top to show the middle, two parallel lines and a tiny dot lower down.
In 36 years, I have never seen anyone else with one - hence the signature note. I quite like that uniqueness, exclusiveness and mystique.

BS OL 1.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There's no doubt that the massive MOI putters available now offer great stability in the stroke, but like all game improvement putters/clubs, do they make you a better putter/player or just lower your handicap a little?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's no doubt that the massive MOI putters available now offer great stability in the stroke, but like all game improvement putters/clubs, do they make you a better putter/player or just lower your handicap a little?
Probably do, as they are very popular on tour. 🙃

However, it is the most personal club. I’ve just gone from mallets to blade 😂

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re putters is is all down to the individual. Me I have an old odyssey two ball and I love the simplistic concept behind lining the three balls up on the line you want to hit the ball and that’s it. It works for me, but I can totally understand why others would like the distraction of it.
Personally I believe a lot of marketing of new stuff is hype. You have to see past that and just pick up a putter and get the “ yup that feels good “ vibe. I do look at some putters and there gorgeous. But there’s no way I can pay in excess of £200 for a putter and justify it.
During COVID I bought a truss putter, what it couldn’t do was unbelievable, when it was in my hands it was unbelievably rammel.
I felt like I had cheated on my three ball. The Truss lasted three weeks.
A scotty Cameron although gorgeous, don’t guarantees one putt per green.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
During COVID I bought a truss putter, what it couldn’t do was unbelievable, when it was in my hands it was unbelievably rammel.
I felt like I had cheated on my three ball. The Truss lasted three weeks.
A scotty Cameron although gorgeous, don’t guarantees one putt per green.
Lived up to its name, then.