Odyssey Putters Design Flaw?

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had to have the foil on my Odyssey Works Versa 1 Wide Tank Putter glued down twice like the OP.
I decided I had to change it and get something with a milled face.
I ended up selling it and getting an Evnroll ER2 which has a very similar head shape and weight (managed to find a 385g version head) to the Odyssey.
Wish they did a face balanced version of the ER2 but the Odyssey was meant to be face balanced but had a small amount of hang that matches that of the Evnroll.

D

Deleted member 3432

I had to have the foil on my Odyssey Works Versa 1 Wide Tank Putter glued down twice like the OP.
I decided I had to change it and get something with a milled face.
I ended up selling it and getting an Evnroll ER2 which has a very similar head shape and weight (managed to find a 385g version head) to the Odyssey.
Wish they did a face balanced version of the ER2 but the Odyssey was meant to be face balanced but had a small amount of hang that matches that of the Evnroll.
Something like a Yes Donna would do the trick, excellent putter.
Can usually find one on eBay from time to time.

Harry_Vardon

Visit site
I’ve always liked these putters and have had a few over the years. Last purchase was an Oddysey Works 2 ball fang and 11 months after purchasing the metal mesh started peeling away from the face. To be fair to the manufacturer they replaced it no quibbles. Now 18 months on the on the same thing is happening on the replacement.

Will try my luck again with the manufacture but it seem poor that I can’t get 2 years out of a putter. Anyone else had similar problems? Maybe I’m just unlucky or is it problem intrinsic to the design. To my mind a putter should last for as long as I want to use it, but certainly 5-6 years as a minimum.

Exactly the same thing happened to my Odyssey Works 2 ball fang today during my competition round! I asked the pro in the shop who said she would investigate with the Odyssey rep to find out if they what they may or may not do about it. I paid top dollar for for a putter which I love using but didn't expect it to fall to pieces in a few short years. Not a good advertisement for their product if they don't come to the party and honor the reputation of what I always believed to be a great product.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had an odyssey and didn't find anything wrong with the face insert. Mind you for the past 4 years I've not changed putter and it's a milled face putter so it can't fall off.

TigerBear

Visit site
I have the same putter, o-works two ball fang in black.

Had it for coming up 3 years now and no issues at all. Great putter.

Only issue is my head cover is getting a bit battered!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know this is an old topic, but I bought my Odyssey Works putter new in December 2016 and it's still going strong, no problem with the face at all.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the problem was specific to the Works 2 model whether it be poor design or a manufacturing issue I had 2 with the same issue.

Whilst it was disappointing Callaway replaced it with a newer version, that is still going strong, without any prompting once it was returned.

I would suggest contacting Callaway and see what happens. Obviously, it reflects badly on them if you can’t lightly tap a ball with their putters without them falling apart within a couple of years.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a couple of the milled range which ironically still had the mesh insert. I was always curious as to it’s durability, lucky enough the newer stroke labs seems to have moved away from the mesh design.