Putters

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started playing in August 2010 with a starter set, the following April I went to Portugal for a long weekend of golf and we hired clubs. I had an odyssey 7 fang white ice I think... the two ball putter. Anyway, over the weekend I think I 3 putted once, loved the putter so came back and forked out £130 on a new one. Used it ever since, I've changed the grip but not the putter. Putting sis the strongest part of my game so I'll be leaving that alone unless it breaks....

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can’t find a putter I like. Hate putting. My least favourite part of golf. Have had 3 so far in <2 years. A starter one which was sold with the set, odyssey Versa tank and ping anser milled. Want to try the inbetweeny putter, you know the semi-circle looking one. Maybe that’ll finally give me the feels.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had 3 in roughly 30 years. Ping Zing 2, then a Ping G5 with a soft insert and finally a Ping Redwood Anser, milled face. When I bought this it was probably the second most expensive club I had bought, c£200, but I figured it was going to be used on every hole so might as well get something that worked for me ! Recently had it shortened by 1 inch and upgraded the grip to a Ping Pistol grip, works even better now.
When I first started playing I asked the local pro for advice on putters and he basically said just find something you really like, regardless of fashions, and go with it.
I believe it was Jack Nicklaus who said that putting was the one area of the game that club golfers could match the professional golfer.

dronfield

Visit site
For years i played with a Ping Anser, but over the past decade have swapped and changed quite a few - including a 38" Odyssey Counterbalance one.

12 months ago i bought a used TM Spider oversize, and love it - feel, weight, grip, set up etc. Will be staying in the bag.

I did read that blade putters are best for players who are good putters - not sure how true that is, but the Spider certainly feels more stable and forgiving to me.

Have also been putting left hand low for past 2 years and that just feels natural and solid to me.

Rich

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a few down the years but have settled for a while now.
Used an Odyssey ProType 2- ball ( milled face) for a couple of years but for the last year I've had a Metal X Milled face #7 fang putter.
Can't see a reason to change from either so I think my putter swapping days are behind me....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I have 4 after 34 years, currently my Rife Cayman Brac with the tropical finish is firmly entrenched in my bag.
I have always thought putting is so much more personal than anything else in the game, with so many people unwilling to try different grips or shortening the shaft to help their putting.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I believe my current putter is my 9th.

Started with a white Taylormade one but always wanted a Scotty. I’ve since used 5 of them and have finally accepted they aren’t for me. Now have a spider putter which I think I’m doing better with, although that could just be the honeymoon period.

If I still like it in six months it’ll be getting replaced by a custom one I imagine.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
have used a SC Newport select 2.5 for the last 10 years, have 5 of them in slightly different finishes. was at my mates shop and had a go with a TM spider holed 20 in a row and it was impossible to not take back on line, borrowed one, the same holed everything. bought it, then found on some slower greens I couldn't get the ball to the hole and long puts off the green were hard to execute. so stopped using it and went back to my SC. a mate wanted to buy it but complained the paint was coming off. so took it back and TM replaced it for a brand new one. so now have a new one still in the wrapping sitting there not used as my mate changed his mind on buying it:rolleyes:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
have used a SC Newport select 2.5 for the last 10 years, have 5 of them in slightly different finishes. was at my mates shop and had a go with a TM spider holed 20 in a row and it was impossible to not take back on line, borrowed one, the same holed everything. bought it, then found on some slower greens I couldn't get the ball to the hole and long puts off the green were hard to execute. so stopped using it and went back to my SC. a mate wanted to buy it but complained the paint was coming off. so took it back and TM replaced it for a brand new one. so now have a new one still in the wrapping sitting there not used as my mate changed his mind on buying it:rolleyes:

I have noticed it needs a firm hit on long putts. Gonna get some weights for it, see if that helps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Not in the same price bracket but I had the same issue with the TM smoke I used to use (insert face) the ball started rolling quick after being hit but it needed a good skelp in order to reach the hole, didn't suit my style and ended up going back to full milled face on a cheap £25 putter before I picked up the Nike

I'll guess insert faces are a softer material than a milled metal face so you'd maybe lose a bit on length

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could open PuttersRUs as I've got about six at the moment. That's not as bad as it use to be but I got rid of a lot when I moved house. The ones I have are various styles (Anser blade, Odyessy #9, large Ping Wolverine, Odyssey V-line CH Fang, Odyssey tank #1 - if I get it back off the pro and the new two ball)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would say my real go to putter for the last ten years or so has been my Rife 2-bar hybrid mallet which is keeping out it's predecessor, a MacGregor Bobby Grace MK6.4GT. Neither of these would appeal to those who like simple looks but for me they're both excellent putters with great balance and feel. I have no plans to replace either as I like them so much.
I won a Ping Scottsdale Senita about five years ago but it's not up there with the other two.
I have the same spec in terms of 32" shaft and Winn AVS midsize grip.