Odyssey Putters Design Flaw?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve always liked these putters and have had a few over the years. Last purchase was an Oddysey Works 2 ball fang and 11 months after purchasing the metal mesh started peeling away from the face. To be fair to the manufacturer they replaced it no quibbles. Now 18 months on the on the same thing is happening on the replacement.

Will try my luck again with the manufacture but it seem poor that I can’t get 2 years out of a putter. Anyone else had similar problems? Maybe I’m just unlucky or is it problem intrinsic to the design. To my mind a putter should last for as long as I want to use it, but certainly 5-6 years as a minimum.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've heard of a few doing this.
It's the problem of having an insert with a mesh attached to it...always a potential weak link.
Worth trying to get a replacement as 18 months isn't long for a putter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had my Odyssey works range putter (the blue trim ones) for two years one month now and still looks in great condition. No problems with the face at all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My Odyssey White Hot #5 centre shaft is at least 12 years old. Due its 4th grip but otherwise fine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve always liked these putters and have had a few over the years. Last purchase was an Oddysey Works 2 ball fang and 11 months after purchasing the metal mesh started peeling away from the face. To be fair to the manufacturer they replaced it no quibbles. Now 18 months on the on the same thing is happening on the replacement.

Will try my luck again with the manufacture but it seem poor that I can’t get 2 years out of a putter. Anyone else had similar problems? Maybe I’m just unlucky or is it problem intrinsic to the design. To my mind a putter should last for as long as I want to use it, but certainly 5-6 years as a minimum.
When the mesh fell off my Odyssey I sent it back to them and they said they no longer made that model and so gave me a choice of the O-work range. I definitely think the mesh insert (nice as it was) was poorly constructed in terms of being just stuck on. I'm very happy with my latest purchase though (tow ball fang, red Odyssey with the o-works face) and it's not as likely to fall off

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When the mesh fell off my Odyssey I sent it back to them and they said they no longer made that model and so gave me a choice of the O-work range. I definitely think the mesh insert (nice as it was) was poorly constructed in terms of being just stuck on. I'm very happy with my latest purchase though (tow ball fang, red Odyssey with the o-works face) and it's not as likely to fall off

You've had no luck with bits of your clubs flying off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have to think the idiot holding them may be to blame. In my defence, the weight inserts coming out of Pings were a known design flaw that has affected lots of golfers and it seems the odyssey putters with metal inserts are also known for failing

Weights falling off irons is a disgrace. Awful design.

Bits shouldn't really be falling off putters either considering they stroke a ball along the floor.

Will make you think before you buy a similar type of club.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup, two of my mates odyssey putters have done this too. They were replaced in both instances but one of them they couldn’t supply him with the same putter as it had been discontinued.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When the mesh fell off my Odyssey I sent it back to them and they said they no longer made that model and so gave me a choice of the O-work range.
Exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine. Odyssey were happy to replace it with an O-works (with the micro-hinges). With so many reports of this fault it must have been a design flaw.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I had trouble with my putter and turns out there was a 2 year warranty , look on the website you may be pleasantly surprised.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Returned today, obviously out of warrenty so looking for Callaway to do the right thing 🤞

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me. My original putter was replaced but now the replacement has done exactly the same thing. I've had the replacement just over a year now but was just going to bite the bullet and buy a new putter.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You've had no luck with bits of your clubs flying off.

Good job your tackle is in a bag homer👍

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm sure the world will end. Ok while it shouldn't occur it can relatively rarely happen!

Clean club head face and mesh with your ladies nail varnish remover (or alcohol) then with a small drop of 'super glue' refit, allow 24 hours cure time - problem solved.