Armlock Putter Conversion

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
So I have a few putters lay around and thought i'd turn one into a little project.

The plan is to turn one of my Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1's into an Armlock putter. (One of my favourite heads)

A few pictures of the Studio Design 1 in it's current state, this will be getting high polish black oxide refinish as pictured. This will be refurbished by Chris Finch, as is the one in the picture.

Not sure on paint infill colour yet, don't care for it to be in original condition as I have another that ticks that box, this is just a fun project.

So to convert this to an Armlock I'm thinking of the following process, please do chirp in if i'm overlooking anything or could improve anywhere as i'm new to this really.

First of all i'll be crudely tweaking the putter this will involve extending the existing shaft from 35 inch to 40-42, i'll add lead shot into the shaft to determine the additional head weight. The head weighs 330g however I'll probably be looking to get this to around 400g but this will be determined based on sacrificial grip weighted to suit the Armlock grip I have purchased. This gives me a very crude mock up of what i'll be left with, from here will determine any loft and lie changes required and tweak accordingly circa 7 to 8 degree of loft (more than my driver)

Then on to the final build:

- Head bent to correct L&L removed and refurbished
- New 38 inch uncut .382 flare tip shaft fitted to finished head
- Tungsten Powder added to shaft, compacted and corked. (Circa 400g head weight, TBC)
- Shaft Extended to 40-42 inch
- 130g JMX JumboFlat Fitted 17 inch long grip (Black and Silver) (Pre-Ordered for delivery in 1.5 weeks)

Quite excited to see how it goes, may be a bit of trial and error tweaking the loft to suit and i'll probably assess the head weight in 5 g intervals, this is why in the rough build i'll use lead shot, i'll cut a hole in the sacrificial grip to allow easy removal and adding of weight, it may be a little rattly whilst i try it out but it's more about gauging the feel i'm after.

Any advice welcomed as i'd like the build to run smoothly, but want the finished article to be something that is a well balanced, well finished putter that I may even replace my current putter with. Feel free to point out any colour options that would look great.

I'll update the thread throughout the project.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
I'm quite intrigued by your little project and how it works out.

Before I have up playing last time I messed about with a belly putter and really liked it, so I'm intrigued how this goes as I have a few putters I could give this a go with one of those.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Best posting this on the GolfWRX forum. Far better technical input/help on that site than on here bud. Some great knowledge and experience on there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seriously and genuinely hope this putting method is banned, just looks like cheating to me, much like the long putters, they should never have allowed them in the first place.
I would not be at all surprised if they expand the current anchoring ban to include the arm lock ones personally. It seems more and more players are taking it up at the minute.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I would not be at all surprised if they expand the current anchoring ban to include the arm lock ones personally. It seems more and more players are taking it up at the minute.

Well the small matter of arm lock not being anything like "anchoring" would suggest otherwise in my opinion.

People practice things and grow accustomed to doing a task a certain way. Arm lock works due to hours and hours and hours of practice, not because it's infinitely better. It'll work for some and not others.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the small matter of arm lock not being anything like "anchoring" would suggest otherwise in my opinion.

People practice things and grow accustomed to doing a task a certain way. Arm lock works due to hours and hours and hours of practice, not because it's infinitely better. It'll work for some and not others.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they did get rid of them. There is clamour of people who say the putter should be the shortest club in the bag, I feel like they might change the rule to that one day. Would be quite funny if only to see Adam Scott cry about it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I seriously and genuinely hope this putting method is banned, just looks like cheating to me, much like the long putters, they should never have allowed them in the first place.

it's not deemed anchoring so I doubt it will. Both hands and arms move without restriction and the club doesn't rextend beyond the elbow joint. I could understand if you were clamping the grip to your forearm but you aren't. Only the forward press keeps it locked against the forearm which is a swing mechanic. If you lose this forward press the grip will lose contact with the arm, completely different to anchoring against your chest or gut.

About as much chance as a getting relief from a divot in the rules.

User20204

Visit site
I never suggested it was deemed as anchoring but there wasn't such a thing as anchoring before it became a thing so lets hope armlock is banned also.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I never suggested it was deemed as anchoring but there wasn't such a thing as anchoring before it became a thing so lets hope armlock is banned also.

i didn't suggest you did, I'm saying it's nothing like anchoring so I don't think there will be much grounds for a ban.

You keep hoping, and i'll keep on giving it a little tappy, tap, tap, taparoo whilst the R&A / USGA do absolutely nothing about it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Had a delivery today.

As I have a few old Flanged Tip shafts doing nothing on older putters I thought i'd try out grips on both ends of the spectrum.

So here is the heavy grip option to get a feel alternative to the 130g JMX Jumboflat:

17 inch AL2 Armlock Grip:

It's a bit of a beast, I think I'll be opting for the JMX however I'll see how this feels and what head weight alterations may be needed to make it feel right, all trial and error and learnings. Looking forward to playing, fortunately the putting green is 2 minutes from my home and well lit so I think there may be quite a few early and late sessions.

Weight - 305g
Length - 17 Inch
Butt Dia - 44mm
Spout Dia - 31.5mm

The shaft doesn't sit straight in this grip, the shaft angles in to the grip so the grip actively introduces 3 degree of loft, this would at least reduce the loft that needs adding reducing the likelihood of destroying the head when altering it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Love seeing another "tinkerer".

Only problem is it becomes addictive! I have a shaft puller, heat gun, blow torch, grips, ferrules, tape, tip weights, ferrule block, shafting beads, tungsten powder, corks - the lot in my armoury!

Keep us posted with the progress.

🏌️👍

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd personally be surprised if they banned Arm Locking.

Certainly in the next 5 years.
I'd imagine they have had enough of tinkering with the rules and will leave things well alone for a while.

Plus there's the other dynamic of the rules being set for the 99.9%, not the 0.1% that people watch on tele.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Love seeing another "tinkerer".

Only problem is it becomes addictive! I have a shaft puller, heat gun, blow torch, grips, ferrules, tape, tip weights, ferrule block, shafting beads, tungsten powder, corks - the lot in my armoury!

Keep us posted with the progress.

🏌️👍

Ive recently moved somewhere that I have my own workshop, this has been pivotal in my new tinkerer status and the crap i've been ordering denies any logic, but it's great fun.

I have accumulated all on that list worryingly except for shafting beads, shaft puller and ferrules! Most of my tinkering is on putters with flare tip connections so I've got by with heating up and pulling out by hand. I think i'd lose my partner if i got tinkering with every possible club in the bag as I get involved in the process and read up on it tirelessly.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ive recently moved somewhere that I have my own workshop, this has been pivotal in my new tinkerer status and the crap i've been ordering denies any logic, but it's great fun.

I have accumulated all on that list worryingly except for shafting beads, shaft puller and ferrules! Most of my tinkering is on putters with flare tip connections so I've got by with heating up and pulling out by hand. I think i'd lose my partner if i got tinkering with every possible club in the bag as I get involved in the process and read up on it tirelessly.

Shaft puller is only required for graphite.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Just to update I'm currently at a head weight of 408g and it feels real nice, i'm only adding in 1 gram increments to head weight now and to be honest don't think i'll exceed 410-415g. I've weighted a dummy grip to reflect the jumbomax and the AL2 and honestly think I'm going to stick with the AL2 I just love the heavier grip feel hence the increased head weight thus far so thats what I'm working the head weight in conjunction with.

I've extended the original 35 inch shaft by 8 inches and this actually sits perfectly on my forearm. I'm 6 foot 2 so thought 41-42 inch would be right for me but I guess our limbs are all different and i'm very chimp like. I will still be replacing the shaft with 38 inch uncut, just so the extension piece is shorter on the final build.

Hopefully get on the putting green tonight to tweak the headweight and agree with myself on the final weight so I can get on with the final build.

I have been using tungsten powder instead of lead shot during the dummy run as the supplier sent me 200g instead of 100g, i'll therefore have enough to do another project should I wish as i'll retrieve the tungsten used thus far. I thought it was in a glass bottle as it was so heavy for such a little amount, I was surprised how much more dense than lead it actually was hence why I went with Tungsten on the dummy run as it compacted much closer to the head than the lead shot would have been.