Edel Putters (another putter thread)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Curious to hear from anyone who has experience of an Edel Putter.

I'm not into chopping and changing equipment and most of my equipment is now 5 or more year old.

I've not played much golf for 2 years, but now getting back into it but specifically don't want to change anything in my bag unless;

a) I've been fitted for it and I know it is definitely better than what I have
b) It is good quality equipment that will stand the test of time
c) Ideally something that looks good that I will be happy to have in my bag

In short; buy once, buy well.

I have an old Cleveland anser style putter that I bought, probably around 2012, for £80. I've had one new mallet style putter since then, but have gone back to the Cleveland and believe this to be my preferred style of putter (albeit never been fit, so don't know for sure). It has a bit of rust about it, but if someone told me this was as good a putter as I could get, I would be happy enough and would even get a bit of a refurb done on it.

Have seen a bit on Youtube about Edel putters and personally think they look great and would meet my criteria. The customisation options look excellent and it seems that every unit is purpose built for that user with exact head shape, weights in the head and / or grip, precise shaft length, loft / lie angle, direction lines, colours etc etc.

I love the look of Scotty Cameron but from what I've seen, their fitting process is basically 'these are our models, tell us which ones you like and we'll tell you which one suits you best' and they don't really go in for mega customisation in terms of weight / lie / loft / length etc. Appreciate a good fitter with a range of manufacturers could help you out here and correct me if I'm wrong - but for me, that option isn't worth the money and if it was just an 'off the shelf putter' you got, I'd be as well getting a second hand one, which wouldn't meet my criteria in terms of being demonstrably better than what I have.

So curious to know the following;
* Anyone got one / or had one?
* Anyone been through the fitting process and either not bought one, or not needed one?
* do you pay for an Edel fitter regardless of whether you buy one or not?
* $375... is that the price or does it tend to go north of that?
* difference between torque balanced and classic fit? Torque balanced is more off the shelf / classic fit is exactly the specs that suit you and is handmade to your requirements?

Thanks folks.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve got one, it’s been in my bag nearly 4 years and it is the one club I don’t believe I will ever change.
Fitted for me, fitting was excellent, never rushed and not over till I was completely happy.
No one brand/model suits everyone and some people never find the right one, some find it straight away.
It took me a while of trying different models and decided to give Edel a try as we had a fitter nearby and it worked for me.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve had one for 2 and a half seasons now and still love it.

I went to www.mbgolfstudio.co.uk for mine and made a day of it and played Ganton in the afternoon. The guy there also offers fittings for EVNRoll and other brands too. The whole process was quite interesting and I ended up with loft of 1 degree (my scotty was 4.5) and I have a 37 inch shaft (im 6’5) with extra weight in the head and grip. It was just what felt right and got the ball rolling for me. The other thing that amazed me was how my aim changed dependent upon the site lines on the putter. They basically use a mirror and a lazer to see how well you align the putter.

I ended up with a blade putter that is torque balanced and has no toe hang, so it apparently suits my straight back, straight through type of stroke. I can’t remember what the whole thing cost but I just checked the website and it says £395.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have no experience of these putters but would recommend having a look at the Cure range before making a decision.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have no experience of these putters but would recommend having a look at the Cure range before making a decision.
Why? What’s special about the Cure Range.
Surely anyone should consider all brands rather than limiting themselves to just one or two?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep, I have been through the fitting process and ended up with getting one.

I found the fitting process very thorough with plenty of outdoor and indoor work including lasers that showed where I was aiming in relation to where I thought I was aiming. That was a bit of an eye opener!! We then tried all the different Edel heads and which sight markings worked the best for me. I ended up with this:

6izckw.jpg

293zzwk.jpg

From memory it was around the £400.00 mark and whether it was worth it is really down to the individual. I was a serial putter changer beforehand however this has been in the bag for a couple of years now so I guess the cost of it is worth it in the sense that I haven't felt the need to keep switching. Has it improved my putting? I would say yes, although that is alongside work on the putting green and in the hallway.

I got fit by Matt who is based near me - https://www.mattricegolf.com/edel-custom-fitting. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him however I see he'd be a bit of a trek for the OP!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got one, it’s been in my bag nearly 4 years and it is the one club I don’t believe I will ever change.
Fitted for me, fitting was excellent, never rushed and not over till I was completely happy.
No one brand/model suits everyone and some people never find the right one, some find it straight away.
It took me a while of trying different models and decided to give Edel a try as we had a fitter nearby and it worked for me.

I’ve had one for 2 and a half seasons now and still love it.

I went to www.mbgolfstudio.co.uk for mine and made a day of it and played Ganton in the afternoon. The guy there also offers fittings for EVNRoll and other brands too. The whole process was quite interesting and I ended up with loft of 1 degree (my scotty was 4.5) and I have a 37 inch shaft (im 6’5) with extra weight in the head and grip. It was just what felt right and got the ball rolling for me. The other thing that amazed me was how my aim changed dependent upon the site lines on the putter. They basically use a mirror and a lazer to see how well you align the putter.

I ended up with a blade putter that is torque balanced and has no toe hang, so it apparently suits my straight back, straight through type of stroke. I can’t remember what the whole thing cost but I just checked the website and it says £395.

Thanks Paul & Junior... do you have Torque Balanced or Classic Fit putters?

It seems that there are very few fitters that fit the Classic fit putter, with the nearest to me (Glasgow) being North East of England - not a major issue as I travel often with work, but slightly annoying to try and arrange.

Good news is that the wife has signed off on a putter as it will save her buying me any Christmas presents - which I'm fine with. Didn't tell her it will probably be over £300 mind.

Had a quick look at these and while they do look interesting I wouldn't want such a big putter.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, I have been through the fitting process and ended up with getting one.

I found the fitting process very thorough with plenty of outdoor and indoor work including lasers that showed where I was aiming in relation to where I thought I was aiming. That was a bit of an eye opener!! We then tried all the different Edel heads and which sight markings worked the best for me. I ended up with this:

6izckw.jpg

293zzwk.jpg

From memory it was around the £400.00 mark and whether it was worth it is really down to the individual. I was a serial putter changer beforehand however this has been in the bag for a couple of years now so I guess the cost of it is worth it in the sense that I haven't felt the need to keep switching. Has it improved my putting? I would say yes, although that is alongside work on the putting green and in the hallway.

I got fit by Matt who is based near me - https://www.mattricegolf.com/edel-custom-fitting. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him however I see he'd be a bit of a trek for the OP!!

Cheers - that looks great.

With regards to the black finish... is it black all the way through so that the black won't wear off, especially on the sole?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheers - that looks great.

With regards to the black finish... is it black all the way through so that the black won't wear off, especially on the sole?

Cheers.

Must admit I don't know if it is black all the way through however it's wearing very well if it's not. I can take a photo of the sole later today if you want to show you what it looks like 2 years in as those photos were brand new, out of box!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why? What’s special about the Cure Range.
Surely anyone should consider all brands rather than limiting themselves to just one or two?

Not sure anyone suggested not looking at other brands.

As it happens I have a Cure Putter and I'm very very happy with it. That said I did my research and had tried just about every model/shape out there.

I believe David Orr at Whitecraigs and Clydeway Golf have S.A.M putting labs. That is where I would be heading personally if I wasn't sure.

D

Deleted member 3432

As it happens I have a Cure Putter and I'm very very happy with it. That said I did my research and had tried just about every model/shape out there.

I believe David Orr at Whitecraigs and Clydeway Golf have S.A.M putting labs. That is where I would be heading personally if I wasn't sure.

I would be looking at it as a two step process.

First of all S.A.M. session to make sure the putting stroke is technically sound. (speaking from experience, changing putters hoping to cure a technical issue is just a work around a is not addressing the main issue)

Second, then look at a custom fit putter knowing your stroke is sound which would hopefully lead to some gains on the greens.

Plenty of nice putters out there.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers.

Must admit I don't know if it is black all the way through however it's wearing very well if it's not. I can take a photo of the sole later today if you want to show you what it looks like 2 years in as those photos were brand new, out of box!!

I'm sure it won't be black all the way through - obviously it will be metal colour at some point - but clearly the finish is very durable based on your comment.

D

Deleted member 16999

It seems that there are very few fitters that fit the Classic fit putter, with the nearest to me (Glasgow) being North East of England - not a major issue as I travel often with work, but slightly annoying to try and arrange.

Good news is that the wife has signed off on a putter as it will save her buying me any Christmas presents - which I'm fine with. Didn't tell her it will probably be over £300 mind.

Had a quick look at these and while they do look interesting I wouldn't want such a big putter.
Mine is torgue balanced, fitted by Brian Ridley at Beamish Park GC here in the North East.

D

Deleted member 16999

If you read the op he states what he has done before and asks for feedback on EDEL Putters, I myself replied saying putters are very individual clubs and we are all different.
Mr Hip comes on, says he has no experience of Edel, but take a look at Cure putters with no explanation or even if he uses one himself.
It like someone asking for advice on ToC and someone else coming on and saying take a look at Birkdale.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not sure which type of fitting he does but check out - http://www.fitforpurposegolf.com/edel-putters-now-available-custom-fitting/ based in North Berwick down at the Glen. Bit less of a travel for you. Have used him for a shaft fitting and loft and lie and he knows his stuff.