Putters again

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was in AG this evening, had a look in the putter section as usual and I always pick up the odyssey no 9 as I want one. By accident, I picked up a wilson deep red II as the head is almost identical. I had a litle bash with it and it seemed to 'fit' me quite nicely although I would love to have it cut down to about 31-32" as I grip way down. Best part was, its on offer for £39 and I could get it for £25 with a £15 trade in.

So, has anyone used one of these, do use one of these? Are they any good?

You can only tell so much in the shop!

Wilson deep red 2 putter
Oddysey No 9 putter

Take a look!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always feel putting and putters are a matter of "feel". What works for one does not work for another, only you can decide what is good for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say neither really fit my eye but putters are such a personal thing. I am getting on great with my itsy spider but its never going to win any beauty awards. It just sits well and my stroke is pretty solid with it (less twisting) so I use it. Others I have played with hate it from a look perspective and the fact that the face is harder than most insert putters.

Whatever you decide try before you buy. If possible I'd find a pro somewhere with a putting green and the putter (odyssey) that you want and get a feel on grass. I am never convinced on a carpet in AG as it is a perfect roll every time

mansell

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a very old odyssey putter and have always got on well with it, that is up until I changed the grip and now I am struggling with it so like the lads say it is a personal thing

nicksampo

Assistant Pro
nicksampo.deviantart.com
I'm a massive fan of those type of putters aswell, check out the Ping Piper H, its what I use and get on really well with. Also the I-Series insert just feels right to me, not squishy but solid and clicky (if that makes sense!).

I tried it in a shop on holiday then when I got back a few days later there was one on ebay with 3 mins left with 0 bids and i ended up getting it for £20, also it was at my preffered length of 33"! Fate :)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys I know putters are a personal thing as are all my clubs but I was after opinions on the putter, if anyone had used it and if they could compare it too any other odyssey.

Think I will find it very hard to try the Wilson on a putting green and at 40 quid even if it's crap I don't mind. It'll be an experiment anyway cause I'll be getting it cut way down as I say. I thought it might be better to do that to a cheap Wilson rather than a full price odyssey.

Does anyone else play with a putter shorter than 32''?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that the one Phill Mick uses? Always fancied a go with one of them as they do look super sexy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not a good advert, as he can't putt.

I have looked at the number 9 several times, and to me, it sits closed. If I am going to miss a putt, it is normally on the left, so for me, this is a no.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say the number 9 just doesn't do it for me visually and so there would always be a confidence issue. I think if you want to go down the trial route and get the Wilson and have it cut £40 seems a fair price. It may pay for itself in no time if you fall in love with it

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always preffered an uncomplicated blade style of putter like that odyssey no 9.
My favorite is the no 2, I find the less complicated a putter is visually the easier it is to keep the the face square through impact.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer I think your right you know, and kinda the answer I was hoping to hear.

And I guess if the Wilson works at say 30,31 or 32" I may well do the odyssey in future!