Probability question for Maths experts

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4 of us played today with handicaps of 11,12, 16 and 21.

On par 4 SI 3 we all had pars.

What is the probability of this happening?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I used a basic formula, hence the need to be approximate.

Having checked the mean temperature for Cumbria today and so determined how many layers of clothing needed to be worn, I then factored in the average age of the group together with the biscuit type eaten during the round, divided this by how far you can each hit a 5 iron (metres) and squared the result by the quality of the sausage cobs eaten before play commenced.

All that then remained to be done was to apply a constant that only maths experts know, and Bob's your uncle.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
SI has often no relevance to hole difficulty so I don't think you can make a valid calculation.

I just think you all got big gimmies!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Having checked the mean temperature for Cumbria today and so determined how many layers of clothing needed to be worn, I then factored in the average age of the group together with the biscuit type eaten during the round, divided this by how far you can each hit a 5 iron (metres) and squared the result by the quality of the sausage cobs eaten before play commenced.

All that then remained to be done was to apply a constant that only maths experts know, and Bob's your uncle.

Which is why you got the wrong answer of 0.723 - surely everyone knows it's my Aunt Fanny, and not Bob's your uncle.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site

Always wanted an Uncle Bob!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Odds on all parring is short but not ridiculous. I have been part of a 4 ball where all 4 have birdied more than once.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Always wanted an Uncle Bob!

I had one. He wasn't very nice!

@Crow....You forgot to factor wind direction and speed! Probably critical factors, so the answer is indeed 42. Oh Dear! Brain the size of a planet and all you want me to do is... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
4 of us played today with handicaps of 11,12, 16 and 21.

On par 4 SI 3 we all had pars.

What is the probability of this happening?

I don't believe you have enough information to really have a stab at working this out with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Stroke Index 3 notionally means it is the 3rd most difficult hole relative to par. However in reality this is not awarded based solely on scoring average.

However probably the SI is less important than scoring numbers for each of the 4 players, with recent information carrying more weight. This would be far more useful than their handicap as well.

Guesstimate the odds are probably in the region of 2000/1 with a lot resting on the type of player the 21 handicapper is.

i.e. is he capable of a wee run of pars but then has a few wides and the game goes to pot. Or is he more of a steady bogey / double bogey golfer who rarely has any GIRs.