Pro lessons

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
At ours there is a local rule specifying you cannot win a comp unless you have entered three qualifying cards during the previous calendar year. You can enter, but can’t win.

If memory serves the WHS did away with the need to maintain an active handicap meaning, in theory, a player’s handicap could remain static for a considerable period of time and as such not be a true reflection of ability. The local rule, which many clubs have adopted, allows competitions to retain a degree of integrity.

it‘s only about 7 months since those cards but I’ve played a lot of solo rounds and non card rounds, had a few lessons and worked hard to improve. I’d just feel it wasn’t fair to win off that handicap. I’m playing with a friend next week who’ll mark a card for me.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
it‘s only about 7 months since those cards but I’ve played a lot of solo rounds and non card rounds, had a few lessons and worked hard to improve. I’d just feel it wasn’t fair to win off that handicap. I’m playing with a friend next week who’ll mark a card for me.

You certainly can’t be criticised for that approach!

G1z1

Visit site
A bit of advice. It’s up to you whether you take it on board or not, but if you do it may make your continued journey in this game more enjoyable. You need to start putting cards in.

If your club handicap is 24, and the tracking app on your phone suggests it’s actually 12 shots better, then be prepared to hear the word “bandit” used on a regular basis if you continue to enter only occasional competitions.

If you genuinely continue to improve without submitting cards, then your club’s membership will not thank you for entering infrequent competitions, winning by a street, and then disappearing into the shadows again. You may even hear the word “cheat”.

Do you actually want an official scratch handicap? Or merely the ability to play to that level? There is a significant difference between the two.
No I think I just want to know myself I can play to that level.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No I think I just want to know myself I can play to that level.

And therein lies a conundrum. If you are not playing in competitions, putting in cards and maintaining a handicap, all those things attracting a significant degree of pressure, many would argue that you are not genuinely playing to scratch.

EDIT: To illustrate my point, my best knock around ours is two over gross, a score I have returned a number of times. But I have never done that with a card in my hand, never done it at another course, and never come close to a 2 handicap. Did I ever consider myself a 2 handicap because I can play to that level either socially or on my own? Not a chance.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well that’s what I’ve been saying. I have been playing terrible and very inconsistent before going to this new pro. I agree lochgreen is not that hard a course I did break 80 round there a bunch of times last winter but I disagree with bonnyton I think that’s a challenging course to score well. The wind alone is brutal.
It is definitely harder than my previous club I was -3 on the front 9 there a few times.
My game on the 1st of June I was +2 on the front 9 and today I was +1 on the back 9 so I think I just need to get more consistent and single figures as I said it my main target this year and then next year I’ll try and get to scratch obviously know it’s easier said than done but you need a target to aim for so why not scratch.

Targets should be achievable.
I would suggest you make your targets more realistic eg improve your putting stats, get up and down more often, hit more fairways/greens etc and let the h/cap work itself out.

But there again, if you won't listen to the advice from a scratch golfer, you probably won't listen to me either as you seem to know best.

Jason.H

Visit site
this is exactly where I am. I put 4 cards in when I first started and got 19.6. Now I often play to 12-14! Think I might put a couple of cards in before a comp.

There’s nothing wrong with winning a few times as your handicap comes down. You’ll probably find you won’t score as well with the added pressure of be in the comp. I play in 2 comps a week since starting In November and my handicap has tumbled.

G1z1

Visit site
Targets should be achievable.
I would suggest you make your targets more realistic eg improve your putting stats, get up and down more often, hit more fairways/greens etc and let the h/cap work itself out.

But there again, if you won't listen to the advice from a scratch golfer, you probably won't listen to me either as you seem to know best.
To me scratch is achievable. I play 7 days a week as long as it’s dry. Working with a pro 2 days a week. I have more time to put into golf than the average person.
It is funny the only people who say it’s unrealistic is the people who don’t know me. Both the pro and +2 handicap i play with both have said scratch isn’t that hard to get to it’s just being consistent. Yesterday I missed 1 fairway, I hit all 4 greens on the par 3s. My chipping is my strongest part of my game. Think I just need to get more consistent off the tee and brush up on my putting and I’m not far away. Wish I could get a bet with a few on this forum as there’s not a doubt in my mind I’ll get to scratch it’s just a matter of when.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Wish I could get a bet with a few on this forum as there’s not a doubt in my mind I’ll get to scratch it’s just a matter of when.
Of course you would. That's a bet you can't lose, unless you put a time limit on it.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
To me scratch is achievable. I play 7 days a week as long as it’s dry. Working with a pro 2 days a week. I have more time to put into golf than the average person.
It is funny the only people who say it’s unrealistic is the people who don’t know me. Both the pro and +2 handicap i play with both have said scratch isn’t that hard to get to it’s just being consistent. Yesterday I missed 1 fairway, I hit all 4 greens on the par 3s. My chipping is my strongest part of my game. Think I just need to get more consistent off the tee and brush up on my putting and I’m not far away. Wish I could get a bet with a few on this forum as there’s not a doubt in my mind I’ll get to scratch it’s just a matter of when.

Why don’t you sign up for the H4H event and have a bet with someone that you are off single figures by then. There are a few people who have bets like this running, I’m one of them.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Enter as many handicap qualifying comps as you can then.

G1z1

Visit site
Why don’t you sign up for the H4H event and have a bet with someone that you are off single figures by then. There are a few people who have bets like this running, I’m one of them.
Have a bet with someone that I’ll be single figures by end of this season. Loser has to pay for both of us to play any course in Scotland. He was confident when he made the bet not so much now ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Excellent idea ?

G1z1

Visit site
Enter as many handicap qualifying comps as you can then.
I am going to go into the pro shop on Monday and enquire about how to enter comps. This forum has really helped motivate me to get the finger out now. So I’ll be playing all there monthly comps now.
Also thinking about setting up a YouTube channel to show my progress.

D

Deleted member 23270

I am going to go into the pro shop on Monday and enquire about how to enter comps. This forum has really helped motivate me to get the finger out now. So I’ll be playing all there monthly comps now.
Competitive golf is where you find out if you can play scratch golf or not. You'll never be a scratch golfer if you don't enter competitions regardless of what your handicap says.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do they only run monthly comps? Both men and women can enter two competitions a week at ours.

G1z1

Visit site
Do they only run monthly comps? Both men and women can enter two competitions a week at ours.
I’m not 100% sure think when I joined guy giving me interview said they have main comp once a month and weekly medals. Might be wrong but so I’ll ask on Monday, I’m not even sure how to enter a comp.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

All a YouTube channel will do is take your mind off the golf and onto the camera,
Also unless you can demonstrate you have a WHS playing handicap of 0 nobody will believe you reached your goal, whatever your phone says ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to be more consistent off the tee? You just said you only missed one fairway. That's better than a scratch player.