Prison

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Why on earth do we give people a 6 year prison sentence for them to be released within three years. Time after time a sentence is handed out for the commentator to say they will be out in half that. Can anyone explain the point of this total load of tosh. Give them the sentence, that’s the actual time they serve, and to hell with this good behaviour crap. In fact, if they don’t behave, keep them in there longer.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agreed Tommo
Seems to have been like this for ever. Doesn't make any sense, just like most things in this country. Why they don't make the "causing death by dangerous driving" offence Manslaughter I 'll never know.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't agree more, in fact I'd go a step further and get rid of manslaughter. "I didn't mean to kill him when I hit him over the head with an iron bar etc" Bull. Toughen up the sentencing keep them in there full term and make life mean life. We are far too soft.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I presume we're talking about the Baby P issue.....
What I fail to understand is that the guy was party to a horrendous crime. He stood by whilst that poor child was subjected to the worst treatment (a broken spine amongst other broken bones) and yet they say he's no threat. I'm struggling to understand how he's no threat.
He clearly has no idea what constitutes decent behaviour in society and how to live in harmony with others otherwise he'd have interjected at some point and raised the treatment of that poor child to the authorities.
This sub-human individual should never see the light of day again! :mad:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
The one 'advantage' to the current 'sentence to 6/serve 3 scheme' is that the other 3 are (or should be) effectively 'released on licence'. Technically I think if they do anything during that time they can be hoicked back in to serve the rest - whether any do or not is another issue.

Certain offences should not be included in this type of release though.

Sentence to 6/serve 6 does mean that you have no hold on them once released.

bogside84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMO The problem is that all HMP are full to overflow the Scottish Goverment paid prisoners money because the cells were over crowded.Where else can you get the benifits they get heating ,lighting,3 meals a day that said I could not do 10 min.inside.If prison is that bad why are they full and again IMO they should lose all your civil rights when you are locked up.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
The one 'advantage' to the current 'sentence to 6/serve 3 scheme' is that the other 3 are (or should be) effectively 'released on licence'. Technically I think if they do anything during that time they can be hoicked back in to serve the rest - whether any do or not is another issue.

Fair point.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Fair point.

But release them after 3 and then after another 3 they're off the hook anyway - still 6 years.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why not just turn these halflifes over to the families
that they have caused so much pain and hurt to?
Would save on 3 meals a day,heating,lighting,guards wages,private finance jails etc,etc.
AN EYE FOR AN EYE???

JIM C

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It should be like a contract, you break the contract and penalty is added, so if you are sentenced to 6 yrs and are released after 3 or 4 yrs you should be released on contract. I think anyone who commits crime that results in custodial sentance should be forced onto such a scheme, the contract should be for a period reflecting the sentence, so it would be a 6 yr contract, breach of contract should result in serving the rest of original sentence plus penalty of another year. This I believe would then make the crooks think a little more about their behavior when released. No contract option, no early release.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had an idea!!
We pull our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and we use them to invade the Isle of Wight. It would be a long and drawn out war - one in which many lives would be lost but we would ultimately emerge victorious.
The inhabitants of the Isle of Wight would become the sole property of Starbucks and would be trained in the highly skilled art of 'The Barista'.
The British government could then build the biggest prison to house the filth of humanity currently residing in our prisons over here. It'd be a bit like Australia all them years ago only they wouldn't get the weather and they'd never be good at sport as all the cricket bats would be taken away.
What do you reckon people? :)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
But The Isle of Wight has possibly the best micro climate of the entire British Isles, thats why it is a popular holiday resort. Dont send them there, why not utilise one of the Outer Hebrides where the weather is more envigorating