Retirement

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I worked in the NHS for a number of years. The T&C’s were called Whitley Council rates. If you worked 40 years you got a 2yr lump sum and a pension at half pay, index linked, and the option to retire at 60. Salaries were lower than in the private sector, the premise being the pension made up for it. Sometime around the mid 90’s the pension T&C’s were downgraded. At some point after that the T&C’s were downgraded again. Trusts were also given the option to renegotiate their staff onto Trust contracts - I think it was in ’96 I was offered a promotion and a £2.5k pay cut.

Around the late 00’s an initiative was introduced called Agenda for Change. This saw everyone given the option of a Trust contract or lose their job, and every job was rebanded. At this point most salaries were given a lift up to what was considered to be commercial levels. By then I was working in the private sector, our main customer being the NHS. And it was from the NHS we used to get the majority of our engineers, up till their salaries matched our offers. Our money purchase pension scheme was nowhere near as good as the downgraded NHS scheme.

The NHS pay rises from 2010 onwards were virtually non-existent. Yes the private sector saw a serious squeeze around 2009 for a couple of years due to the financial crash but the it was back to normal… and that’s why the doctors want 35%, which gets them back to an equitable level.
The thing is your pension conditions although altered were negotiated based on a huge number of clients.
A small business or sole trader, private person is completely at the whim of the financial services..
So if your in a big organisation get the pension stick with it because of the negotiation powers and management fees ..
I don’t know if we can predict what we will have but what we should be doing is not giving money away ..
Governments with their policies will come and go and you can bet one will harm your investment it’s just having a strategy to minimise negative impact. But also being realistic..

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
After the way some people are so intransigent where I work, I am seriously considering why the heck I still bother. I enjoy the work, just not the poeple putting obstacles in the way and not willing to discuss the options. Let someone else get the stress.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many people are spending on non essential items over food and bills?

I really think you live in the daily mail comment section
My sister in law lives on here own in a two bed council house. She works at a care home, so poorly paid, 40 hours. Her heating in on all day for the dog at home, yes I know🙄, Alexa is on all day for the dog, as is the lights. She has no car, but has the required mobile phone. No other income. She manages fine. So don't tell me people can't damn well manage. They waste money and buy things they do not need. Maybe a few lessons in money management would be better that just giving them more money

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My sister in law lives on here own in a two bed council house. She works at a care home, so poorly paid, 40 hours. Her heating in on all day for the dog at home, yes I know🙄, Alexa is on all day for the dog, as is the lights. She has no car, but has the required mobile phone. No other income. She manages fine. So don't tell me people can't damn well manage. They waste money and buy things they do not need. Maybe a few lessons in money management would be better that just giving them more money

You can't base everything on one case study.

A bit of empathy costs nothing ironically

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bact to it. I'm trying to access a pension that I was tracked down by a firm to find. It's not huge, but it's a sum of money I could use to give up work. But OMG the hoops they want you to jump through to access it. I have to have a 90 minute chat with an advisor. Fill out a 27 TWENTY SEVEN page health history document. Do and online quiz that indicates my willingness or otherwise to risk money. What a joke! Don't tell me they have to make sure I know what I'm doing rubbish. All they want to do is push me into sticking it into a plolicy that will pay out peanuts for 35 years. Well, nuts to that! I'm after the tax free cash and a draw down that get me my dosh whilst I'm alive.