Presentation Speeches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
i won a competition at the start of the Summer and am told its customary to give a little speech at presentation night a week Friday. I know to start by saying "Mr Captain, past captains" and to thank my playing partners but are there other formal things I need to say ??? anyone heard any good speechs at your clubs and if so are there any witty lines that I could pinch ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are not confident speaking publicly my advice would be to leave any witty comments aside and thank those you need to, the partners you played with on the day for their support and thank the organisers for a great presentation evening and keep it short, simple and sweet.

Nothing worse than someone making a speech who thinks they are funny but whose jokes are lame or are "in jokes" for his regular golfing crowd or who goes on about nothing at all. Get up, get your prize and get off again

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Junior ..depends on your age and standing in the club.
Better to play safe and not crack any funnies(sometimes they don't go down well the vanquished,and the old fogies)
From my experience ,use the 3 S's short ,simple and sweet!
that way you don't offend anyone,(and you don't get anyone digging you up!)
BTW..good luck and well done on yor prize(s)!! :p

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
First and foremost smile, it gets people on your side. Keep it short and sweet unless you have a little joke rehearsed and get out of dodgeville.

sandford93

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i got to pick up 4 'majors' this year but im sure that will come to an end after starting the year off 18 !

does that mean ill be +2 next year ;)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If possible avoid speeches like the plague.
If you are expected or manipulated in doing so, keep it short and to the point.

Only thank those who actually did something relating to the comp like the organisers/greenkeepers/clubhouse staff who lay on the food etc and importantly any sponsors.

Avoid adding tom, dick or harry from the endless list of hangers on, committee members etc.

Find out who planned it, who prepared it, who sponsored it, and who physically did something to make the day work and sod the rest. Your opening address to the captains and club are normal though.

After all you entered (usually with payment) you did the work, you won it, dont let people manipulate you into feeling humble and start doffing your cap all over the gaff will you?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just general advice in terms of controlling your pace (not rushing- there is nothing worse!) projecting your voice and looking at/ addressing all corners of the audience is a sure fire way to give a solid, respectable speech. In terms of content- short and sweet is sure to suffice.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you haven't done this before write something out beforehand and practice it, particularly the timing (keep it short) and pace of your speaking.
You need to learn it by heart but a minute can seem a very long time, especially if you can't think what to say.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Junior

Find out who is at the presentaion and only addres them it should go something like this.

Mr President.

Mr Captain.

Mr Chairman.

Members of the council

you dont have to address past Captains

I would like to thank my playing partners on the day (who were) for supporting me. (be modest) i was lucky enough to have things go my way on the day. Thankyou to all who took part in the comp and to competition/handicap secetary for organising it.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Junior

Find out who is at the presentaion and only addres them it should go something like this.

Mr President.

Mr Captain.

Mr Chairman.

Members of the council

you dont have to address past Captains

I would like to thank my playing partners on the day (who were) for supporting me. (be modest) i was lucky enough to have things go my way on the day. Thankyou to all who took part in the comp and to competition/handicap secetary for organising it.

Agree but don't overdo it.
Also use cards as a reminder of what you're going to say but don't write it all out cos you'll look like a fool.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's almost certain that the Lady Captain will be present, so start with Mr. Captain, Madam Lady Captain, Mr. President, (if present). Thank your playing partners and those responsible for running the competition. You may also congratulate the course manager for the condition of the course. You might also comment on the prize you have received, but apart from that there is nothing more to say.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
i won a competition at the start of the Summer and am told its customary to give a little speech at presentation night a week Friday. I know to start by saying "Mr Captain, past captains" and to thank my playing partners but are there other formal things I need to say ??? anyone heard any good speechs at your clubs and if so are there any witty lines that I could pinch ??

So how did it go? Did you crack a joke? Keep it simple and short?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just general advice in terms of controlling your pace (not rushing- there is nothing worse!) projecting your voice and looking at/ addressing all corners of the audience is a sure fire way to give a solid, respectable speech. In terms of content- short and sweet is sure to suffice.

All this except the last bit. You've won, it's your time. Prepare.

I won one last year and wrote a long speech and delivered it to a packed clubhouse. It was Presidents Day. It brought the house down, thunderous applause....I kid you not.

Sorry just had to share. Memories eh? Can't beat 'em!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow........blast from the past. I can't even remember what I said last week, never mind 7/8 years ago. What's even sadder is that I don't think I have won since !!!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wow........blast from the past. I can't even remember what I said last week, never mind 7/8 years ago. What's even sadder is that I don't think I have won since !!!!

Well if you've been eating gristley pies and drinking flat beer ever since you can remember... you forgot to thank the F&B team ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.