Premium vs Mid-Range balls

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really? They seem better for me than any other ball I've tried. Have to try a z star which I hear are meant to be fantastic.

It was like putting with my hybrid to me, seemed to fly off the putter. Great ball until I got to the green and then I couldn't control it. Just goes to show how different balls can suit different people.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The truth of the matter is at our level. A ball is a ball is a ball. I would laugh out loud if it was not so tragic seeing high handicappers wasting money on premium balls.

Will now sit down and wait lol.

S

Snelly

In 1989 I shot 68 on a difficult course with my favourite ball at the time, a Golden Ram, which was like hitting a diamond. Two summers ago, I played a mate in a game where we had to pick a ball for each other for the round. I chose a ball from my practice bag for him to use which was a Molitor and it was probably 20 years old. My mate shot 4 under gross with it and beat me 6&5.

It isn't about the ball, it is about the player. At the level played by golfers on this forum, the ball chosen is just about irrelevant to the score recorded.

This thread really is balls, on many levels.

My advice would be to pick the ball you like and stick with it because consistency is important. But don't kid yourself that it will make a difference because the effect is marginal and it just comes down to personal preference.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the last few months I have played any ball I can get on offer. Played NXT, Callaway X hot, Nike RZN, Pro V (freebies), Innesis long and soft and even a Pinnacle Gold and even the Dunlop premium ball and it has not made a blind bit of difference. Good rpunds, bad rounds, good days with the putter or wedges, bad days with the driver happened with all of them. The only thing I did notice was that I lost the Nike balls quicker for some reason. One day I may notice a difference in balls but until then pretty much anything goes as far as ball choices are concerned

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been playing with Callaway Warbird balls lately, which I think cost about £11 per dozen from American Golf. They suit my game just fine. I try to avoid 'distance' balls because they usually feel like rocks and don't stop very well on the greens, but most other balls seem OK. I played with a pick up Pro V1x that I found in our deep rough for a couple of rounds, until I managed to lose it in roughly (excuse the pun) the same place. It didn't seem to go any better, despite being 4 times more expensive! :)

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strangely I've gone gbe other way. Started to get through my dx2s so as vid got about 5 dozen provs at home chucked done in the bag. One made it all the way round on Monday! Tuesday was a different matter as was seining like a numpty. Friday and today the same as Monday and only lost a couple through bad driving. Actually found the dx2 a little softer off the putter which I was surprised at.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It isn't about the ball, it is about the player. At the level played by golfers on this forum, the ball chosen is just about irrelevant to the score recorded.

This thread really is balls, on many levels.

My advice would be to pick the ball you like and stick with it because consistency is important. But don't kid yourself that it will make a difference because the effect is marginal and it just comes down to personal preference.

Totally agree!

There are things I like about certain balls but, except for 2, there are normally things I don't as well.

As the original Penta is now quite hard to find, I'm using NXT Tour S Yellows, though the, slightly softer, White is 'great' for me too! Much more important (to me) to use the same ball (specially just 1) than to chop about with different feels!

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
T I'm using NXT Tour S Yellows, though the, slightly softer, White is 'great' for me too!

Played with one these recently (white) and thought it was an excellent ball.

Much more important (to me) to use the same ball (specially just 1) than to chop about with different feels!

I'm very bad at sticking with just one ball and like trying different ones, although of a similar type. I reckon that other variables (e.g.course conditions, how I'm playing etc) outweigh any that result from using a different ball. My poor golf is caused when I actually don't hit the ball well enough for the ball to be a factor.

I do avoid the "rocks" but am happy with any premium or higher end mid range ball. Have played recently with Mizuno D201s, Titlest NXT Tour S and Srixon Z Star without feeling that there was any real impact on my scores. Would say Z-Star does spin more so nice to use now the greens are getting a bit firmer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just use what feels best and works.

I like a prov1 for putting and as almost half my shots are with a putter, i'll stick with them. If i found something else similar id use that.... i just havn't.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
it's all BALLS as they say.

Dont hear moans about the dross balls at the range, all I hear (see typed) is how well you were hitting it and how far....at the range:rolleyes:

I shot a scratch 67 in a comp on hard fairways in summer using a TOP-FLITE!

I'll use any ball I feel I like, they all react the same with a well struck shot and with a badly hit shot.

Don't kid yourself you get 'less slice' or 20 yds extra driving..........it's all BALLS:whistle:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can slice a prov just aswell as a top flite. I can hole a putt from 30ft with an ad333 and I can miss from 2ft with the same ball.

I am not good enough to accurately depict how a ball will stop, spin or neither. Currently using a load of Pro V1 lake balls altghough there were a few iffy ones. Once they go its back to AD333's as I got my lowest score with them so stupid not to :)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was 29/30 degrees yesterday. A Pinnacle Gold would have felt soft.

On the Pro V1 thing, Titleist fit balls from the green backwards, if budget would allow everyone's Titleist fit ball would be Pro V or X. Also Titleists whole range of ball is no more than 2 yards apart from cheapest to most expensive.

Last edited: