Predictions - how well can you judge your own form ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't it strange that although a handicap is supposed to be an indicator of how we are playing and so many forum members are practicing with the aim presumably of getting better and more consistant and some are entering competitions where we have a fair idea what will be required to win, very few have enough of a grasp on their form to confidently predict scores within a 5 shot band.

It also seems odd to me that someone would say that having a score in mind makes them play bad because I would have thought that with handicaps and the par measure we would all be thinking about score all the time either consciously or subconsciously.

Not very strange at all, in any given round a touring pro can have a 10 shot swing day to day so no way of predicting how we might play round to round. My h'cap has been 10.0 since the beginning of december because weather conditions have meant all others have been canned. In the meantime I've been having lessons, the changes of which are starting to be seen. I could easily go and shoot 74 on Sunday, but could equally shoot 84, that's the beauty of golf.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Based on my shank-fest at the range tonight and trying to bed in some swing changes I'm going to say 24 to 29 points.

No point in predicting a gross as I expect there'll be a few pick-ups.

sajkox

Club Champion
Visit site
The weather forecast is bad for tomorrow. My last rounds were crap.
I still bet its going to be personal best @85 ! with range 85-90
Just because I feel good ... watch this space ...
EDIT: oh and gl everyone :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not going down this route, take last year on my course that was par 68 of the whites

Tuesday night after work - gross 74
Thursday night after work - gross 73 (should have be 71)
Sundays medal - 94/95

Bloody game!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is easy....

Really looking forward to playing on a lovely day = chop it round like a nugget.

Take or leave a round in iffy weather = PB on the way

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't it strange that although a handicap is supposed to be an indicator of how we are playing and so many forum members are practicing with the aim presumably of getting better and more consistant and some are entering competitions where we have a fair idea what will be required to win, very few have enough of a grasp on their form to confidently predict scores within a 5 shot band.

It also seems odd to me that someone would say that having a score in mind makes them play bad because I would have thought that with handicaps and the par measure we would all be thinking about score all the time either consciously or subconsciously.

Not very strange at all, in any given round a touring pro can have a 10 shot swing day to day so no way of predicting how we might play round to round. My h'cap has been 10.0 since the beginning of december because weather conditions have meant all others have been canned. In the meantime I've been having lessons, the changes of which are starting to be seen. I could easily go and shoot 74 on Sunday, but could equally shoot 84, that's the beauty of golf.

Also, you're handicap is more a measure of how you can play on a good day, not your current form

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Due to weather and course conditions im sure we will be playing stableford.
Even though i have been struggling a bit lately.i can see new shoots coming through.
I predict 36 points and 3 birdies

Well first to reply.
Course wet as predicted,stableford.
Played really well.
Scored 36 points and had 3 birdies.
Even had a nr on the last.:D

sajkox

Club Champion
Visit site
The weather forecast is bad for tomorrow. My last rounds were crap.
I still bet its going to be personal best @85 ! with range 85-90
Just because I feel good ... watch this space ...
EDIT: oh and gl everyone :)
please don't watch this space anymore :) or wait for tomorrow ... played like donkey (again) - 96

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good job I didn't have a guess at today's round. Went thinking it was 4BBB and turned out it was greensomes. Rubbish. Must remember to look at the format when I stick my name down for things!

Playing with 3 forumers tomorrow. I'll stick my neck out and go for 78, with a spread of 75-80 (even though that's 6 shots, but what everyone else has been doing :))

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Based on my shank-fest at the range tonight and trying to bed in some swing changes I'm going to say 24 to 29 points.

No point in predicting a gross as I expect there'll be a few pick-ups.

Well I'm back and my predicition was hopeless.

In view of the above I had a game plan of making maximum use of my hybrid and trusty Dunlop 9 wood. The resulting shank-free round combined with a solid short game, lots of up and downs and 27 putts helped by a chip-in, saw me score 40 points and a gross 79.

So I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Massive 26 points so well outside my estimate. Had a lesson last night and it was going so wel we stopped hitting full shots after a while and started playing around with the short game. Got there this morning looking forward to a stunning round. Never got going. Felt I hit it ok in place but stone cold putter and too many unforced errors. Head dropped on back nine

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Massive 26 points so well outside my estimate. Had a lesson last night and it was going so wel we stopped hitting full shots after a while and started playing around with the short game. Got there this morning looking forward to a stunning round. Never got going. Felt I hit it ok in place but stone cold putter and too many unforced errors. Head dropped on back nine

We might need more than that tomorrow Homer, I presume you spent the afternoon on the practice ground? :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I got it right for once and scored 84, not entirely happy as had to recover from a double, double, treble start so it could have been much better or indeed much worse.

I also scored 84 today... I started par, par bogey! I fear I will lose this handicap bet we have going if you can recover from that!

I putted well, chipped well, drove well and approached well. I just missed a few tiddlers and duffed a couple of shots. Only one birdie but that was on the SI 1 :) My one bad hole was a sliced 7 iron that resulted in a treble... I played the best golf I can and I didn't even better my handicap :(