Pre-shot Routine

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Threads like this make me laugh. Surely the whole basic principal is hit it, find it, hit it again.
Threads like this make me realise why most of my day is now given to golf due to 4-5 hour rounds.

And a serious question.....looking at some of the handicaps saying they have a Boeing pre flight check list before each shot....
Pros often take a longish PSR but are having 60 odd shots a round, not 90/100.

Alignment is fine etc but if you can't hit it straight do you not think you are just adding another level of complexity?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find the longer I take the worse the outcome!

If playing poor (normal) I go back to no practice swing and tend to do better.

I sort of see why pro's take so long, its their living and they do have a repeatable swing and exact (almost) distances so therfore more precise.

At the end of the day do whatever works for you, anything thats constantly repeated is a routine of sorts so just go with what suits.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify a few things about my first post on this thread;

I was giving the OP a general overview on what I think a PSR ought to contain and if you have not really thought about one then it was a good place to start debating as to a sequence of actions to arrive at a good PSR.

The most debatable issue was that I said that the routine should take no longer than a minute to complete, now I realise this is too long in reality to go through a palaver on the course but what I should have said and I didn't was that the routine should be grooved off the course and only taken to the course as part of your game when totaly enmeshed.

By the way I do not take a minute to do mine and would not endorse anyone however new they are to the game to take too long to get ready to hit the ball.

I do believe however that in my opinion it is a good idea to have a PSR.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I read the whole thing and didn't appreciate the subtlety of the split meaning? Maybe I am just being bit thick? I sincerely hope so in this instance.

I thought it was pretty obvious considering the gobbledygook comment, just thought I would add to the obvious preconceptions you have towards my profession.

As for my handicap? Let's assume I have not taken offense at the questioning of my academic integrity based on sports performance, lets see it as a fairly pathetic yet factual comment that girls only used to be allowed a handicap as high as mine, again will have to ignore the offense you may have given to female golfers that you are using their ability in a derogatory sense to compare to my own.

Moving on from all that, I wonder if Lewis Hamilton asks his chief engineer how fast he can go around corners? Come back and tell me how to save my tyres when you can win a grand prix. Maybe Ronnie O'sullivain made Steve Peters prove to him he could knock in a century break before he listened to his advice and won the world championships two years in a row. Probably not to be honest.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Take your time and don't rush, a good PSR is ESSENTIAL. It will get your mind in the right place, it will make you more confident, it will make you hit better shots.

Spend a good 30 seconds just visualising the correct shot, see the ball flight, feel the contact, see the ball going exactly how you pictured it. If you can't then you have doubts in your mind, perhaps you don't have the right club. Select a new club and a new target, start over with your visualisation until you can see the correct shot and the right outcome. Now take a few practice swings really feeling the swing. Take your aim back behind the ball then take your stance. Plenty of waggles here to remove tension, keep that positive target in your mind, this is VITAL, if you lose the positivity and confidence you have to start all over again.

Gobbledygook 101 for beginners and professionals alike.

Ha ha ha!

You forgot to add...don't forget to wake up your playing partners when you have finished and tell them it is their turn now!

S

Snelly

I thought it was pretty obvious considering the gobbledygook comment, just thought I would add to the obvious preconceptions you have towards my profession.

Obvious to all except me it would seem.

And I don't have pre-conceptions but I have an opinion which is essentially that before your chosen field existed, there were always brilliant sports people and somehow they managed to be amazing without someone like you whispering in their ear.

Did Pele have a sports shrink? Or Bobby Jones? No they didn't but apparently weekend hackers need one in order to unlock their golfing potential.

That said, I do still have an open mind on this and if Homer gets to Cat 1 in the next 12 months after a chat with one of your contemporaries then I will radically change my view.

D

Deleted member 15344

Take your time and don't rush, a good PSR is ESSENTIAL. It will get your mind in the right place, it will make you more confident, it will make you hit better shots.

Spend a good 30 seconds just visualising the correct shot, see the ball flight, feel the contact, see the ball going exactly how you pictured it. If you can't then you have doubts in your mind, perhaps you don't have the right club. Select a new club and a new target, start over with your visualisation until you can see the correct shot and the right outcome. Now take a few practice swings really feeling the swing. Take your aim back behind the ball then take your stance. Plenty of waggles here to remove tension, keep that positive target in your mind, this is VITAL, if you lose the positivity and confidence you have to start all over again.

Gobbledygook 101 for beginners and professionals alike.

Or just spend a few seconds picturing the shot and the outcome you want, everyone does it whether you want to admit it or not. Take a few more seconds to quieten the mind and bury those thoughts, take your stance without thinking about it, you body is well rehearsed and will get into the correct position without help. Trust your swing, no mechanical thoughts, no thoughts about target, no thoughts about outcome.

Tiger said when he was playing his best he sometimes got to the green or the next tee and had no idea how he got there. His PSR was so good and his mind so quiet he can't even remember doing it. Like driving a car and getting to a destination with little or no memory of the trip you let your instinctive motor control take over from your analytical thinking brain. Learn how to do that and that is how you get into the zone and play your best golf. A good PSR is not essential especially if you are naturally good at doing this but it helps especially if you sometimes just can't switch off that brain of yours.

Sorry but it's not vital or essential in the slightest

30 secs just visualising !!

Sorry but if someone did that whilst I was playing they would end up playing on their own - it's nonsense and it's slow nonsense that has ground our game to halt

Far too many people are doing these countless routines and it's dragging the times of rounds through the roof

It's all coming from Pros

Check distance , pick club , have a couple of swishes if needed , aim , hit - done and dusted in about 10 secs

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Obvious to all except me it would seem.
... and if Homer gets to Cat 1 in the next 12 months after a chat with one of your contemporaries then I will radically change my view.

Seems LiverpoolPhil missed it too! :whistle:

And for a more realistic 'test' how about 'reconsidering' if he gets to Single Figures? Though it could be the clubs!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It amuses me on this forum that ALOT on here disregard something that they no nothing about, and discredit those who have taken the time to look into, try things and to implement into their game. Those who do are trying to improve their game to achieve their goal, and some by what I can gain from this forum are quite happy to pootle along with their game and disbelieve those who TRY!

The psychologist has done his studying in his field and has given his time to give his thoughts on the matter of the mental side of the game that DOES EXIST. if you don't then maybe you need to see a shrink yourselves. What his hc got to do with his knowledge of sports psychology is immaterial, is Shaun Foley a better golfer then Tiger, no, but Tiger see's him cos of his knowledge of the golf swing. At least the psychologist HAS a hc unlike someone on here shouting from the roof tops.

The greatest MAJOR winner of all time has stated he never hit a shot even on the practise round until he was 100% ready and sure. And by judging some of the comments I don't know why you waste your time on even 20 secs, why not just plonk your bag down, grab the nearest club, tee it up and whack it, as clearly your not interested in shooting the lowest score possible but to go round in the least time possible?

D

Deleted member 15344

It always amuses me when people who play golf as a hobby want to act like the pro they see on telly

By doing so they hold up the rest of the golf course whilst they are getting themselves 100% ready

Slow play is a big deal within golf right now - both at your local club and on the tour - pre shot routines and people "preparing themselves" are becoming a big factor in the pace of the game.

If people want to do all the pros pre shot routines and want to get themselves 100% mentally prepared then do it at the back of the field and let the people who just want it relax and enjoy themselves go round at the proper pace.

We aren't major winners , we don't play the game to earn money - it's a sport related hobby for us all. We aren't Tiger Woods - shame some want to act like him

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's obvious that you are happy with the standard as you are as a golfer, last time I looked the object of the game is to get the little white ball into 18 holes in as fewest shots as possible, and not a race? Just because someone is trying their best to be better and WANTING to be better then they are, don't criticise them for trying. You obviously don't!

D

Deleted member 15344

It's obvious that you are happy with the standard as you are as a golfer, last time I looked the object of the game is to get the little white ball into 18 holes in as fewest shots as possible, and not a race? Just because someone is trying their best to be better and WANTING to be better then they are, don't criticise them for trying. You obviously don't!

Will criticise if that wanting it be better is effecting other peoples enjoyment of the game

Golf may not be a race but it's also not a whole day event.

I don't care about my standard - I care about my enjoyment of the hobby I do in my spare time

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
While I get the mental game for a pro as any tiny margins can mean £100,000s as the competition is so high.

I think the point people are trying to make is that are those small margins that a mental game may (or may not make ) really going to help the 90+ % of golfers who can't break 80? Probably not, the key to that IMO is a repeatable swing not a repeatable practice swing and alignment and mentally picturing the shot before stuffing it 20 yards.

As an example, most pro football teams see sports psychs but how many of your local Sunday league team do? Are u saying that they obviously don't want to win?

People make golf far more complicated than it is, and whilst I respect peoples rights to spend their money on whatever they want, please respect peoples right to get round a course in a reasonable time, time is the most precious commodity about as it can't be got back once lost.