Pre-shot Routine

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All depends on what is judged as PSR.

In my book it's a routine you repeat, that's not drawn out or anguished so doesn't interfere with anyone else, that's preferably no longer than 20 secs, that allows in the proper time allowed under the rules of golf for you positively to focus/concentrate & assess the shot your about to make.
That allows the familiar of a small routine for the golfer to be able to choose the right shot, correct aim, alignment etc. & put him/her in the right place physically, mentally to put the very best swing on that shot they can.

D

Deleted member 15344

In my book it's a routine you repeat, that's not drawn out or anguished so doesn't interfere with anyone else, that's preferably no longer than 20 secs, that allows in the proper time allowed under the rules of golf for you positively to focus/concentrate & assess the shot your about to make.
That allows the familiar of a small routine for the golfer to be able to choose the right shot, correct aim, alignment etc. & put him/her in the right place physically, mentally to put the very best swing on that shot they can.

That all seems far to much thinking

Find distance , pick club , aim and then hit - that will do me

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That all seems far to much thinking

Find distance , pick club , aim and then hit - that will do me

I suppose that's all down to each individuals traits and personality really. Some players are methodical and some are like yourself, neither is right nor wrong. You do what you do that's best for your game.

D

Deleted member 15344

Either will take a similar timeframe & they don't seem that different maybes after all, except maybe you could get to be more focussed on the positives of seeing the shot you want, it may even give you better results :)

Sorry that's far too much thinking for me

Seeing the shot ? What shot it is I'm not bothered - as long as it lands roughly in the area I want it too

S

Snelly

Either will take a similar timeframe & they don't seem that different maybes after all, except maybe you could get to be more focussed on the positives of seeing the shot you want, it may even give you better results :)

Amateur golf is, primarily thanks to gobbledegook from sports shrinks, now absolutely full of players who have a detailed pre-shot routine that helps them "get in the right place mentally", "visualise the shot they want to hit" and "focus on the positives / right outcome etc".

There is one thing that a high proportion of them have in common and that is that they can't play golf for toffee and have never broken 80.

Cue more tripe on them being "the best that they can be" etc. etc.

If it works for you then fine, knock yourself out. But be ready to hit the ball when it is your turn and don't preach to others that it is essential because it is not.

PS - not specifically addressing you @the_coach. Just a general observation. :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Amateur golf is, primarily thanks to gobbledegook from sports shrinks, now absolutely full of players who have a detailed pre-shot routine that helps them "get in the right place mentally", "visualise the shot they want to hit" and "focus on the positives / right outcome etc".

There is one thing that a high proportion of them have in common and that is that they can't play golf for toffee and have never broken 80.

If it works for you then fine, knock yourself out. But be ready to hit the ball when it is your turn and don't preach to others that it is essential because it is not.

I agree with this. I'd recommend that new or struggling players concentrate on learning a PSR on the practice range and not on the course. Treating practice sensibly gives you a decent and hopefully quick PSR at the range, so that when it comes to playing, you automatically move into shot-mode without consciously thinking 50 thoughts and wasting time. Just my 2p's worth...

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
PSR :-
Park trolley, Check distance, Look at lie, asses wind etc( simultaneous activity)
Choose Club
Two practice swings
Launch.

30 seconds tops!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Primarily amateur golf has a large majority who don't fully understand how best to achieve sound impact positions. And because they continue by and large to do the same things but expect better & different results. Think A.E had a view on this.

The majority of amateur golfers don't really have a PSR at all, barring either get to the ball or tee the ball up, as they aim from beside the ball whilst setting their feet in first so being aimed at a precise target tends to be a bit of a lottery shot to shot.

So even if a passable swing is made through the ball it still very often doesn't go in the direction they're expecting it should, but it did go more or less in the direction it was bound to be going given where they'd ended up pointing at with club face & body alignment.

If your not precise in lining up & aiming properly but are, as said on this thread a few times already, happy for the ball to go roughly in the right area, that's exactly what's going to happen most of the time, to often only roughly in the right area.

Golf's ultimately a target game, want good results you have to be precise.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
In my opinion a good pre shot routine should establish ;

1. A good ball position for the chosen club ( where the club makes contact with the ground put the ball there )

2. Direction ( aim ) of shot

3. Path of initial takeaway ( not outside nor too much inside the line )

4. Tempo

So the list should read aim, ball position , path, tempo.

All the above should take no longer than a minute and can be applied to most shots including putting.
On that basis I would have played my second shot before you teed off.:mad:

D

Deleted Member 1156

In my opinion a good pre shot routine should establish ;

1. A good ball position for the chosen club ( where the club makes contact with the ground put the ball there )

2. Direction ( aim ) of shot

3. Path of initial takeaway ( not outside nor too much inside the line )

4. Tempo

So the list should read aim, ball position , path, tempo.

All the above should take no longer than a minute and can be applied to most shots including putting.

I don't strictly agree with this. The ball should be positioned at the point in the swing where the clubface is pointing directly down the chosen line. Ideally this will be at the bottom of the arc but often isn't. :confused:

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Take your time and don't rush, a good PSR is ESSENTIAL. It will get your mind in the right place, it will make you more confident, it will make you hit better shots.

Spend a good 30 seconds just visualising the correct shot, see the ball flight, feel the contact, see the ball going exactly how you pictured it. If you can't then you have doubts in your mind, perhaps you don't have the right club. Select a new club and a new target, start over with your visualisation until you can see the correct shot and the right outcome. Now take a few practice swings really feeling the swing. Take your aim back behind the ball then take your stance. Plenty of waggles here to remove tension, keep that positive target in your mind, this is VITAL, if you lose the positivity and confidence you have to start all over again.

Gobbledygook 101 for beginners and professionals alike.

Or just spend a few seconds picturing the shot and the outcome you want, everyone does it whether you want to admit it or not. Take a few more seconds to quieten the mind and bury those thoughts, take your stance without thinking about it, you body is well rehearsed and will get into the correct position without help. Trust your swing, no mechanical thoughts, no thoughts about target, no thoughts about outcome.

Tiger said when he was playing his best he sometimes got to the green or the next tee and had no idea how he got there. His PSR was so good and his mind so quiet he can't even remember doing it. Like driving a car and getting to a destination with little or no memory of the trip you let your instinctive motor control take over from your analytical thinking brain. Learn how to do that and that is how you get into the zone and play your best golf. A good PSR is not essential especially if you are naturally good at doing this but it helps especially if you sometimes just can't switch off that brain of yours.

S

Snelly

Spend a good 30 seconds just visualising the correct shot, see the ball flight, feel the contact, see the ball going exactly how you pictured it. If you can't then you have doubts in your mind, perhaps you don't have the right club. Select a new club and a new target, start over with your visualisation until you can see the correct shot and the right outcome. Now take a few practice swings really feeling the swing. Take your aim back behind the ball then take your stance. Plenty of waggles here to remove tension, keep that positive target in your mind, this is VITAL, if you lose the positivity and confidence you have to start all over again.

You cannot be serious?

Essential and vital? Like breathing?

How do Snedeker and Woosnam play to their standard without this then? Or my grandfather who never took a practice swing in his golfing career but managed to play at 2 or better for two decades and played for Yorkshire?

You are stating that all this is vital and yet you play off a handicap that was only available to girls when I learned to play?

Quite unbelievable. I can only assume that you are taking the proverbial.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You cannot be serious?

How do Snedeker and Woosnam play to their standard without this then? Or my grandfather who never took a practice swing in his golfing career but managed to play at 2 or better for two decades and played for Yorkshire?

You are stating that all this is vital and yet you play off a handicap that was only available to girls when I learned to play?

Lol. I take it you gave up reading the post after the first paragraph then? ;)

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take your time and don't rush, a good PSR is ESSENTIAL. It will get your mind in the right place, it will make you more confident, it will make you hit better shots.

Gobbledygook 101 for beginners and professionals alike.

Or just spend a few seconds picturing the shot and the outcome you want, everyone does it whether you want to admit it or not. Take a few more seconds to quieten the mind and bury those thoughts, take your stance without thinking about it, you body is well rehearsed and will get into the correct position without help. Trust your swing, no mechanical thoughts, no thoughts about target, no thoughts about outcome.

Tiger said when he was playing his best he sometimes got to the green or the next tee and had no idea how he got there. His PSR was so good and his mind so quiet he can't even remember doing it. Like driving a car and getting to a destination with little or no memory of the trip you let your instinctive motor control take over from your analytical thinking brain. Learn how to do that and that is how you get into the zone and play your best golf. A good PSR is not essential especially if you are naturally good at doing this but it helps especially if you sometimes just can't switch off that brain of yours.

You cannot be serious?

I read it that the first two paragraphs were taking the mick. I think the bit in bold is what he's actually suggesting.

However, if I'm reading it wrong, then I'm complete agreement with you, Snelly.