Practice putt during a stroke play comp

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with a guy yesterd that when we finished the first hole took several practice puts on the green we had jut played.

I was under the impression you couldn't do this in a strokeplay comp, matchplay yes.

menioned it and he didn't do it again, but was unsure of the rule in question and what penaulty if any?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perfectly allowed to hit a practise putt on the green of the hole hes just finished (rule 7-2) as long as doesnt unduly delay play. Pretty sure they have a competition rule on tour to stop this in the pro comps

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played, ...

Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit:
(a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played,

People make the match play assumption because the only place they see it done is the Ryder cup. The professional tours have enacted the local rule for their tournaments.

The usga and R&A have not.

Last edited:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i had similar about 15 years ago,played in a scratch/stroke comp over in DERBY stayed over night and hit the practice facilities early,after an hour i was doing some bunker work on the bunker next to the practice facility,and chap in a blazer came over and was watching me for 5 or 10 mins before asking if i was playing in the open comp,i said i was and looking forward to it,he gave a smirk and said "not this year son,your dq'd this is the fairway bunker for the 5th hole"i was gutted.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i had similar about 15 years ago,played in a scratch/stroke comp over in DERBY stayed over night and hit the practice facilities early,after an hour i was doing some bunker work on the bunker next to the practice facility,and chap in a blazer came over and was watching me for 5 or 10 mins before asking if i was playing in the open comp,i said i was and looking forward to it,he gave a smirk and said "not this year son,your dq'd this is the fairway bunker for the 5th hole"i was gutted.

Everything thats so great about our game isnt it, bet he was chuffed with himself and couldnt wait to tell his friends how he'd got a "cheat" DQed lol, some people just need to get out more!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Bugger! :p

It would have been nice if they had still let you play, but not enter a score.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is a 36 hole strokeplay/ matchplay Comp ?

You can't play both formats at the same time

A 36 hole stroke play Competition is playing 36 holes in a day.

The final of our Club Comp is a 36 hole Matchplay Comp.

Are you allowed to practise on greens after completing a hole when you will be playing the same hole later that day?

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you allowed to practise on greens after completing a hole when you will be playing the same hole later that day?

Well I would say yes because you have just putted on it anyway

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes. Decision 7-1b/7 states that this is allowed.