Post Office - Horizon scandal

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The business secretary Ms Badenoch has said this morning “ Mr Bates v Post Office was not what led to government action and “ it is really important to stress that”.
Really, does she think folk are that thick.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The business secretary Ms Badenoch has said this morning “ Mr Bates v Post Office was not what led to government action and “ it is really important to stress that”.
The woman who hacked Harriet Harmans computer!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If she doesn’t she certainly thinks many can be gaslit into believing in an alternative reality.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Folks, owing to the very nature of this thread there is an understanding that some posts will touch on politics - it’s impossible for them not to, given the subject matter. As such, quite a lot of latitude has been allowed, and rightly so.

But can I ask please that any comment which does reference politics at least has a passing relevance to the Horizon scandal? Anything which doesn’t is likely to be deleted.

Thanks.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see our local (tory) MP has posted a video of him at PMQ saying that he raised this issue of a local post mistress and the need for an apology & compensation from PO and Fujitsu. Needless to say, people reminded him that he is jumping on the bandwagon. Fair play to him, he says he also raised it in 2009 or whenever, but at that time it was a Lib Dem Dept and so it is Lib Dem who chose to ignore it. Needless to say, the comments after that were swiftly removed.
As someone already mentioned, in an election year, the danger is that the Executive wing will look to overrule the Judiciary in order to be seen as 'doing something'. It will create a precedent and unfortunately some bad behaviours. having said that, I do hope that those who were affected get swift justice

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
indeed.. someone on that post was also kind to mention that all this started under Blair/Brown... IMO, no one has emerged unscathed.

Which is why there has been very little political point scoring on this. Which is something positive at least!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Blair/Brown/Cameron/May/Johnson/Truss/Sunak - 7 question marks over their heads to be fair. But the real blame lies elsewhere in my opinion.
Attacking any of the above 7 will be mainly political point scoring in election year as Amanda says. I hope those who blatantly do so will be reprimanded.

Red devil

Visit site

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Since the TV drama I‘ve been watching bits, or lots, of the Public Inquiry. Usually I skip chunks of it if it’s covering ground that doesn’t seem relevant. Almost every day’s coverage is jaw dropping. I kid you not, the blatant bias and deliberate conspiring to get a conviction + the ignoring or hiding evidence that might weaken a prosecution is massive. As for the expertise of the PO investigators, truthfully there’s virtually no expertise nor professionalism. There’s a lack of honesty about them that beggar’s belief.

If ever there was a reason to change the laws surrounding private prosecutions…

As discussed earlier in the thread, part payments to the subbies should be flowing out the door in a torrent. At the very least every penny unlawfully taken from them should be paid back with interest immediately. A minimum flat compensation could be paid out immediately, with a follow up assessment made by year end. It’s not rocket science!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As discussed earlier in the thread, part payments to the subbies should be flowing out the door in a torrent. At the very least every penny unlawfully taken from them should be paid back with interest immediately. A minimum flat compensation could be paid out immediately, with a follow up assessment made by year end. It’s not rocket science!
Totally agree.
The arguing about whose fault it was and who should pay out could take years.
Some of the victims don't have years, they just have bills, a prison record and no job.
Pay them first, then argue about whose fault it was.
I saw a guy on TV who said £60m was set aside for the scandal. £48m went on lawyers :mad:

Red devil

Visit site
Totally agree.
The arguing about whose fault it was and who should pay out could take years.
Some of the victims don't have years, they just have bills, a prison record and no job.
Pay them first, then argue about whose fault it was.
I saw a guy on TV who said £60m was set aside for the scandal. £48m went on lawyers :mad:
The claimants were awarded £57.75m which after legal expenses were taken out,shrank to £12m or £20,000 each claimant.
In today's Times Mr. Bates received an offer which he considers "derisory" no mention of what it was. The government's response was "to appeal" if you're not happy. Bear in mind he submitted his claim 111 days beforehand.
I've said this before and I'll say it again this government, any government talk the talk but very rarely walk the walk when it comes to compensation payouts.
The Grenfell,Windrush and infected blood victims will tell you that.
But if you're a PPE VIP lane member, just give us your bank account details and the money will be there first thing
PS. Up to now 60 sub posties have died before receiving compensation.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a sad story this is..

How do you even begin to work out how much compensation someone is due for something like that happening to them? People losing their homes, friends, family and in some cases their liberty all based on mistakes and lies from the PO. As others have said, pay back the money that was fraudulently taken from them to cover the "shortfalls" with interest. Pay a flat rate compensation figure to all affected as an interim measure. And then look at each case individually and top up their awards as required.

Red devil

Visit site
Should anyone wish to. Go to Private Eye website go to menu, scroll down to special reports and "Justice lost in the post". It's free to download. Prepare to be enraged

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Friday saw the Post Office inquiry closing statements for Phase 4 of the inquiry. It’s over 3 hours long, and no I haven’t watched all of it, I dipped in and out of it. It’s brutal in its content. It doesn’t pull any punches in naming names, nor in highlighting examples of lies, incompetence and duplicitous behaviour.

Sadly, the wheels will continue to turn oh so slowly. I’m not sure what the next phase will be but I do know it doesn’t reconvene for a few months at least.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Friday saw the Post Office inquiry closing statements for Phase 4 of the inquiry. It’s over 3 hours long, and no I haven’t watched all of it, I dipped in and out of it. It’s brutal in its content. It doesn’t pull any punches in naming names, nor in highlighting examples of lies, incompetence and duplicitous behaviour.

Sadly, the wheels will continue to turn oh so slowly. I’m not sure what the next phase will be but I do know it doesn’t reconvene for a few months at least.

Given the recency impact of such things, I wonder if they will allow it close to the elections. No one is clean but it will be seen as ‘govt’ incompetence. So I assume this may have an impact on election timeline

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The inquiry reconvenes in the first week of April, and runs through till the end of July. There are two phases, numbers 5 & 6, and include interviewing board members of the PO and Royal Mail, senior managers at the PO and Royal Mail, various barristers and solicitors for both. There’s a number of politicians on the list. Alan Bates is, again, one of the interviewee’s because of his interaction with senior board members and politicians.

If the questioning in the first 4 phases is anything to go by, the next two phases could well be explosive.