Post Office - Horizon scandal

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually think they will, primarily because it is so much in the public interest.

The big danger, given all the press and media coverage, the documentaries and the ITV drama, is going to be ensuring they receive a fair trial.

I know that sounds hugely ironic given what the victims of this scandal have suffered, but defence barristers will argue this point long and hard and it could prove problematic.
Get the original magistrates who the post office lied to to preside ,that might be interesting

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Have all the victims been paid back yet and if so, did the money come from the tax payers?
No other source of funds, I believe, unless Fujitsu cough up a massive wedge.
Post Office is government owned and pretty much bankrupted by the amount of reimbursement and compensation that is due.
Vennells and Co giving back bonuses is a mere can of beans.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
On Tuesday, The Times reported that Duncan Tait CEO for Fujitsu UK from 2011 to 2014 has said, "I am appalled by the harsh treatment of the sub-postmasters and fully support the public enquiry. It would be inappropriate for me to comment ahead of this."

Too many of them using this as an excuse. They all seem to me to be hoping that others will take most of the blame.
I'm with Ian Hislop on this.

No. Answer news reporters' questions now. Just tell the truth. The truth won't jeopardise any public enquiry.
Let us see all of them being interviewed and hear what they have to say. It is in the public interest.
They should not be allowed to hide away like this. It smells of more cover-up.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don’t think there is a cover up now. The questioning in the public inquiry is very forensic and quite brutal. The head of the inquiry rarely steps in but when he does, OMG he is very direct. Best example recently was the Post Office investigator who admitted he used his wife’s qualifications to get the job…

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is odd how Jensen started this thread in 2022 and it kinda died a death after three pages.
MIB mentioned a few pages back about how a forensic computer programmer could rip this case to bits. Apparently they did and yet the Post Office sacked them and tried to cover it up even more.
I mentioned that I thought this could go a lot deeper than was anticipated, and the more that names “come out” the bigger this corruption case will become. With a General election around the corner. This could not of come at a worse time for the government. They have reaped what they have sewn and it’s not done by a long way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is odd how Jensen started this thread in 2022 and it kinda died a death after three pages.
MIB mentioned a few pages back about how a forensic computer programmer could rip this case to bits. Apparently they did and yet the Post Office sacked them and tried to cover it up even more.
I mentioned that I thought this could go a lot deeper than was anticipated, and the more that names “come out” the bigger this corruption case will become. With a General election around the corner. This could not of come at a worse time for the government. They have reaped what they have sewn and it’s not done by a long way.
You could well be right. Either way this will/is our version of ENRON and will be a huge blot for may years to come and continual to affect so many innocent people

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spot on Tashy.
The more the big bosses are grilled the more they will try to protect their arses and blow everyone up.!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Jeez, it just get worse & worse!

Just seen a piece that said the govt were instrumental in getting the PO to sack off the forensic accounting team, Second Sight, two weeks before their report was due to be published because of the head of Second Sight throwing the PO CEO under the bus in a Commons Select Committee hearing in 2015. This absolutely goes all the way up to the Minister for Postal Affairs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Newly released minutes of a Government meeting show the Govenrment NEW all about it and they AND the PO pulled Second Site off the job. This was in 2014. This was on the BBC radio this morning.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I may have said it earlier in this thread, Tash, but I don’t think this would even have needed any great degree of forensic investigation. Whether people here have any respect for the police these days, I still firmly maintain that, had an Economic Crime Unit anywhere in the UK investigated one of the early PO offences, rather than the utterly blinkered and patently unskilled PO investigators themselves, this scandal would likely never have occurred.

I say that quite simply because the truth of what was happening would probably have been identified right back at the beginning of this whole sorry saga.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Jeez, it just get worse & worse!

Just seen a piece that said the govt were instrumental in getting the PO to sack off the forensic accounting team, Second Sight, two weeks before their report was due to be published because of the head of Second Sight throwing the PO CEO under the bus in a Commons Select Committee hearing in 2015. This absolutely goes all the way up to the Minister for Postal Affairs.

I think this was mentioned on the BBC Panorama programme I saw a week or so ago.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I may have said it earlier in this thread, Tash, but I don’t think this would even have needed any great degree of forensic investigation. Whether people here have any respect for the police these days, I still firmly maintain that, had an Economic Crime Unit anywhere in the UK investigated one of the early PO offences, rather than the utterly blinkered and patently unskilled PO investigators themselves, this scandal would likely never have occurred.

I say that quite simply because the truth of what was happening would probably have been identified right back at the beginning of this whole sorry saga.
Can it get any worse.?
I think it will.