Playing with people better

Prodavid116

Visit site
So been on course again today and got asked by somebody a lot better than me if i wanted to pair so i did but did warn him he is a lot better anyway as we got playing i started to play worse i guess because of pressure/relaxing etc... and then a bit later on he said he was in a hurry so fair enough i wouldn't blame him then i started playing a lot better again and caught up so i joined him again for a bit but it just seem to make my game go downhill he was asking questions like what driver im using when i told him it was the SimMax he seemed surprised but why shouldn't i use it at the end of the day, also ive now started to go range after my round to work on my swing which im not sure is a good idea but will see how it goes but couldn't hit anything at the range was just thinking too much not too sure of the cause was it tiredness or loss of confidence im not sure.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Unless you are born a child prodigy like a Mozart, everyone needs to start somewhere and learn and improve. Not just golf, but work, career, life... I’ve always found that most people who are more experienced and or skilled enjoy helping others who are just as keen to get on the ladder too. They remember what it was like, as long as you have the right attitude as well. There is always the odd knob, but having a mentor or playing with people who are better (even if only for the odd round) can do wonders both for improvement and enjoyment.

RichA

Visit site
It's hard to believe when you're new and self-conscious, but most other golfers will rarely judge you on your skill - more on your enthusiasm, sportsmanship and company.
Just relax and enjoy it. Don't overthink. Don't over-practice at the range - it's largely meaningless pummelling 100 range balls in 45 minutes at £8 a time. If you're a club member, playing on course on your own costs you nothing, you'll be more relaxed and grass is better than thin astroturf on top of concrete.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Always remember....

• There will always some one better than you, and always someone worse!
  • Everyone was a beginner at some point
  • People are worried about their score, not yours! :)
  • Great players also hit bad shots (sometimes)

In casual games, sometimes pick up if you are having a bad hole (to keep the game moving) and don't worry, we've all felt what you're feeling at some point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you feel intimidated then I recommend you find out when the next charity day, corporate day or society day is at a nearby club. Go down to the 1st tee and watch the smartly dressed golfers arrive with their new clubs and bags. Then watch how many make a complete horlicks of it :LOL:. Then get back to your own course and realise that things aren't so bad after all.

One of the things that helps me when playing with better players, it will happen a lot so get used to it, is to don't even attempt to compete with them. Play your game, forget what they are doing, how far they are hitting it. It's pointless. By all means check out their short game or putting but the long stuff, forget it. Once you do that you will relax a lot more. You will also discover that they are far more bothered with their own game than yours so your worries and stress are ill founded.

As others have said, everyone has to start somewhere, we all have.

Fabia999

Visit site
Very similar to learning to drive a car. Everybody was a learner at one stage, so 99% of golfers will understand what you're going through and with covid bringing a new wave of golfers you'll find you're not the only one.

Most golfers will be helpful but I'd advise to take tips from your pro!

Prodavid116

Visit site
yea its strange how you hit them on the course then go to the range and nothing i suppose i need to just focus on technique and not worry about where they go on the range and then hopefully will go good on the course the following round

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
yea its strange how you hit them on the course then go to the range and nothing i suppose i need to just focus on technique and not worry about where they go on the range and then hopefully will go good on the course the following round

Just keep doing what you're doing, you'll get better and more confident the more you play.

RichA

Visit site
For me, as a barely average golfer, it depends what I'm doing at the range, rather than when I go there.
Treating each ball like it matters, taking my time, picking a spot where I want it to land, concentrating on what I'm doing, is meaningful practice.
If I go there just to relax, because I've got an hour to kill, and just have a thrash, it's cathartic but no more golf practice than if I was strimming the garden. To be honest, it's barely golf.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Would you say theres nothing wrong going to the range after a round to practice rather then a separate day just on the range?

Why would there be? Pros do it!

You wont get better just playing on the range and you wont get better never working on your swing at the range - theres a happy medium!

Personally Id rather range first because you're likely to just try and fix a fault from your round if you go after the round. By going before you can get into a good headspace, warm up and iron out any issues before going to the course after - but everyone is different and there is not one right answer.

Are you having lessons?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was always treat time on the range before a round as warm up and to see what swing I have got on the day. Very often it best to go with the swing you have got rather than trying to fix it on the course.

Prodavid116

Visit site
Why would there be? Pros do it!

You wont get better just playing on the range and you wont get better never working on your swing at the range - theres a happy medium!

Personally Id rather range first because you're likely to just try and fix a fault from your round if you go after the round. By going before you can get into a good headspace, warm up and iron out any issues before going to the course after - but everyone is different and there is not one right answer.

Are you having lessons?
Yea im having lessons i went to Range today after my round and just couldn't hit anything so maybe its best i just to one or the other on a day rather than both.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO, go to the range as a separate thing, rather than after playing a round. You've already played 90 - 110 shots (probably). and have likely walked several miles. If you're new to the game you're already likely to be tiring. Go to the range fresh, with some specific goals in mind.

And never worry about playing with better players. (If we didn't, there's some of us who would never get a playing partner)

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
If you feel intimidated then I recommend you find out when the next charity day, corporate day or society day is at a nearby club. Go down to the 1st tee and watch the smartly dressed golfers arrive with their new clubs and bags. Then watch how many make a complete horlicks of it :LOL:. Then get back to your own course and realise that things aren't so bad after all.

This is good advice. Sit somewhere for an hour or two and watch people playing, and you will realise you aren't as bad as you think! I did this a few weeks after my first lesson, and it helped enormously!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yea im having lessons i went to Range today after my round and just couldn't hit anything so maybe its best i just to one or the other on a day rather than both.

Try range before a round - and only 50 balls max!

There is no downside to playing lots of golf. Maybe get lessons more often if youre hitting it badly

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try and use it as an opportunity to learn. Really watch his game, the decisions he makes, course management, etc. You can learn a lot by watching players who are better than you, and in addition, the more you're thinking about his game, the less you're worrying about your own.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try and use it as an opportunity to learn. Really watch his game, the decisions he makes, course management, etc. You can learn a lot by watching players who are better than you, and in addition, the more you're thinking about his game, the less you're worrying about your own.

This^^^ I like playing with better players as you can learn a lot from their game.