Playing on your own.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
How many people on here are happy going out and playing on their own on the course? I joined a club a month or 2 ago and have been playing most weekends with a few friends. However, they aren't the most reliable and there have been a few occasions where I have sacked off going because I would have nobody to play with.

I'm considering starting to go on my own when my friends can't play but have never done this before and the idea of it just seems a bit off, I don't get as excited with the thought of going on my own.

Do many people on here play on their own when they can't get a game with anyone? If so how do you find it? What are the positives/negatives?

Thanks

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite often play on my own. If the course is clear i find i can get a really good rhythm going.

Early morning or early evening in the summer i love getting out on my own. Course's are generally quiet, the colours with the sun rising / setting are beautiful and there's normally a smattering of wildlife wandering around which will soon disappear.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
really struggle playing on my own, lack of competitive nature and conversation etc doesnt work for me, shouldnt stop you heading to the club though and trying to get a game with others once youre there. ask the pro if there are any roll ups or groups you could join in with

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can find it quite therapeutic....
Peace and quiet - tend to go early in the morning before anyone else is even at the club except the Greenkeepers..
Hit a poor shot, put another down to try again, try shots you wouldn't normally to see if they're feasible.
And if you do get bored you can come off at any time and not worry......
Sometimes it's good....

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm just off for a couple of hours. Fresh air, exercise and pleasant surroundings. Will take a driver and a couple of irons and fiddle with a couple of things. Might not be perfect, but it's better than the alternatives...

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ll do it in the summer weeknights, I wouldn’t do it this time of year. If I do I tend to play 2 balls & keep a better ball score.
Sounds like you need to try and find a roll up at your club?

D

Deleted member 16999

Prefer company, but absolutely no issues playing on my own.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are roll up groups a common thing in clubs? I will have to ask about that as it sounds like something I would be interested in, do they tend to only run on a weekend or are they common in the week also?

Thanks again

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play mostly on my own. Can go at my own pace. Hit multiple balls or redo holes if I feel like it. It’s nice getting out and I enjoy it.

Playing with a friend or two is also fun and adds a different element to it. The competitive nature helps focus and gives you a break between bad shots to collect yourself!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Are roll up groups a common thing in clubs? I will have to ask about that as it sounds like something I would be interested in, do they tend to only run on a weekend or are they common in the week also?

Thanks again

They are at some clubs, not at others. Ours has roll ups on 3 days of the week, 4 during the summer (9 hole evening one) and at weekends. Ask the secretary or pro to point you in the direction of the roll up organisers.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
During the summer months, I'll quite often head out on my own on a Sunday morning very early, around 6 ish.

Get an extra 18 holes in while the wife and daughter have a lie in, round in 2.5 hours max and get home by 9 and cook breakfast.

If the suns out its a great way to start a Sunday

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a membership to a little par 3 course attached to my range.. takes about 45 mins to walk round on my own.. play it on my own often just to focus on practice

Of course if anyone wanted to join me I wouldn’t say no but just always empty it’s brilliant

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can’t imagine you should need to play alone at weekends unless you have really tight time constraints. I always use the roll ups as a backup option on a weekend if for some reason I am by myself.

I might play 9 or 12 holes by myself of an evening in the summer if I have some time to kill. Genuinely, I’d rather give it a miss than play by myself at a weekend.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't mind a couple of holes occasionally but enjoy the company of others.

Why not enter some comps and meet others. Advantage of our club is most comps are drawn so you meet other members.

They do hold competitions at the course I play but I don't have an official handicap and the best I have ever done is a round of around 110.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I enjoy playing on my own from time to time. There is no pressure, you can try different shots and if you hit a bed one just drop another ball and replay the shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I go out on my own when I want to practice and on the odd occasion when I know I would be lousy company with the mood I am in.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks chaps.

Just had a look and it looks as though the course I play also offers competitions on the par 3 course on a Tuesday which look excellent. Hopefully I can get involved with the competitions in the week and a few weekend competitions as well.

Cheers