Playing off the beach

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after having a look at West Kilbride fly over, i noticed the beach is OOB, as is Crail, i think Dunbar?? all the St Andrews courses its OOB , though you are not that close to the beach

Now most of the links up here you can play from the beach should you land on it, red staked hazzard.
Brora, Golspie, Fortrose, Nairn,Castle Stuart, Moray Old and New , Hopeman. I think you can on Machrihanish Old as well, also think Royal Aberdeen is. i think its good to be able to play from the beach, and i'm a reg visitor on our 5th

any other courses close to the sea you can play it/ red staked?

D

Deleted member 16999

Isn’t Trump Aberdeen oob on the left for the Par 3 2nd or 3rd hole?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the courses I can think of in Northumberland the beach is OOB. I would assume it is for safety reasons which would make total sense for the courses I am thinking of. Perhaps the layout of some of the Scottish ones is different and the public do not go on those bits of beach.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At the courses I can think of in Northumberland the beach is OOB. I would assume it is for safety reasons which would make total sense for the courses I am thinking of. Perhaps the layout of some of the Scottish ones is different and the public do not go on those bits of beach.
Tain (11th and 12th)the beach is OOB, but that would be more to do with the danger of getting down there rather than danger. Nairn the first 7 holes the beach is in play and there are plenty of people wandering about on it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tain (11th and 12th)the beach is OOB, but that would be more to do with the danger of getting down there rather than danger. Nairn the first 7 holes the beach is in play and there are plenty of people wandering about on it.

Very surprised at that. A simple Risk Assesment from the club should highlight the dangers of allowing it. If the beach is in play then the golfers are not going to be too worried about going there. If it is OOB then you try your utmost to keep the ball on the course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very surprised at that. A simple Risk Assesment from the club should highlight the dangers of allowing it. If the beach is in play then the golfers are not going to be too worried about going there. If it is OOB then you try your utmost to keep the ball on the course.
you wouldn't hit the ball on there deliberately, you can't stop balls ending up there so danger is still there, though not when the tide is in;)

D

Deleted member 17920

will have to check, The one with the burn?

nope just checked the scorecard and it says beach is a lateral hazzard
You have no chance of playing from the beach though even if you are that far left as the burn is way too wide to jump across.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
you wouldn't hit the ball on there deliberately, you can't stop balls ending up there so danger is still there, though not when the tide is in;)

I get that you would not hit there deliberately but if you don't lose a shot by going on the beach the consequence is limited. My first club was a links course with a very popular beach running alongside it. The beach was OOB so apart from not wanting to hit anyone there was also a consequence of losing a shot if you went there. It made you play away from the beach more, definitely. Obviously you would still slice the odd ball on there and it was always a terrifying moment, one of the reasons I left there.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Le Paradis is played as staked hazard and quite a bit can be beach at low tide
87cf0fbf-dba3-64a7-8dc6-21d4d86ab8fc.jpg

While Ile Aux Cerfs tends to be mostly OOB for their beach holes (& more chance of other beach users being present)
10-photo-1.jpg