Playing off the beach

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played off the beach at Machrihanish and Dunaverty, you can play off the beach at Mach Dunes too however I'd suggest your ball is "gone" if you head onto the beach from any hole at the Dunes.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunbar is red staked lateral water hazard (soon to be penalty area).

I have played off it a few times but is rocky and a risk to wedges and wrists!

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Only played there twice I think, but Dawlish Warren I think you can play from the beach? Any other Devonians on here?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whats your opinion on LT saying his old club stopped it because of H&S?

I know Crail don't because its and SSI, is Kilspindie?

Kilspindie is pretty rocky so there is not much chance of getting a playable lie and a good chance of turning an ankle. For the same reason there are not many walkers on that stretch either. So maybe H&S from a player safety angle.

At NB there are usually people on the beach, especially on the 1st two holes. You often have to wait on the 2nd hole for the pedestrians to clear away before hitting. The 1st hole is actually more dangerous because you cannot see over the high grass bank whether there are people on the beach or not - and they can't see you hitting either.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kilspindie is pretty rocky so there is not much chance of getting a playable lie and a good chance of turning an ankle. For the same reason there are not many walkers on that stretch either. So maybe H&S from a player safety angle.

At NB there are usually people on the beach, especially on the 1st two holes. You often have to wait on the 2nd hole for the pedestrians to clear away before hitting. The 1st hole is actually more dangerous because you cannot see over the high grass bank whether there are people on the beach or not - and they can't see you hitting either.
are the paths public rights of way?

H&S ive never even considered it an issue at ours, I think we own the land and there are plenty of signs up warning of Golf in play, so maybe thats why we do it.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
are the paths public rights of way?

H&S ive never even considered it an issue at ours, I think we own the land and there are plenty of signs up warning of Golf in play, so maybe thats why we do it.

I don't know if the paths across the course are formal rights of way but under the 'right to roam' act pedestrians have the right to cross a golf course so long as they don't interfere with play. This is specifically laid out in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. I just wish more of them would have their wits about them and pay attention to where they are.

We have loads of signs everywhere but not sure they get read much.

D

Deleted member 21258

Never played there but on their website it implies you can, The European Club in Ireland.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't know if the paths across the course are formal rights of way but under the 'right to roam' act pedestrians have the right to cross a golf course so long as they don't interfere with play. This is specifically laid out in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. I just wish more of them would have their wits about them and pay attention to where they are.

We have loads of signs everywhere but not sure they get read much.
same here, loads just wander all over the course then quote the OAC, despite probably never even reading it and thinking it allows them to go where they please.... not on a sports ground/Golf course you can't.

we are going to have all sorts of problems with the two new greens blocking a couple of paths that people have been using despite them not being ROW

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I think it all depends on the circumstances, Dunbar, all the beach is potentially playable, red stakes. However, there are boundary walls that are out of bounds.

I think Kilspindie golf club has a few beaches that are out of bounds due to safety issues or otherwise.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Luffness doesn't float my boat at all. Very flat and boring if I'm being honest

Kilspindie is ok, decent layout and greens but more enjoyable with a half set it's that short. Wouldn't rush back there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Luffness doesn't float my boat at all. Very flat and boring if I'm being honest

Kilspindie is ok, decent layout and greens but more enjoyable with a half set it's that short. Wouldn't rush back there.
Kilspindie is Just the place for Hickory's then, not played it myself, due to play it twice and both times game was switched to Muirfield;)

Luffness is a bit of a lunch club/ Foursomes malarkey, though it was in great condition