playing for money

Mandofred

Visit site
I wouldn’t play in a rollup if the entry was £5 - I pay enough for my golf as it is and £5 from each player would create a pot to be won that IMO would be too large and would encourage ‘dodgy practice‘.

In life, never mind in golf, when amounts of money more significant than a notional amount are at stake then behaviour of some individuals can become questionable. £1 a head in the pot is plenty.

As our rollup comp usually qualifies as a WHS round it is set up on our system, and our entries are using our tee booking and comp system. As a competition, the system pulls our entry £1 from our club shop account and any winnings are credited to it.
As I stated in the first post, I would prefer to play for nothing.....or, at the most just a Pound or so. But the folks who run the rollups play for £2 on Wednesdays and £5 on Sundays. If you want to join the group (I do) then you play for those amounts. At my first course (still a member) the old rollups (haven't started up yet) I was in could cost you a max of £4 on Wed and £4.50 on Sundays if you lost everything you could. It is what it is.....and since I DO want to play in the rollups.....money is involved.

As I also stated, I was just looking for ideas on how to make this money transfer easier......it can't keep going on like it is, really annoying with people showing up without change. We were having a fair bit of trouble a couple of years ago at the first club getting people to bring change.....after this last year+ it is a lot worse. People just don't have Pound coins floating around like they used to.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t play in a rollup if the entry was £5 - I pay enough for my golf as it is and £5 from each player would create a pot to be won that IMO would be too large and would encourage ‘dodgy practice‘.

In life, never mind in golf, when amounts of money more significant than a notional amount are at stake then behaviour of some individuals can become questionable. £1 a head in the pot is plenty.

As our rollup comp usually qualifies as a WHS round it is set up on our system, and our entries are using our tee booking and comp system. As a competition, the system pulls our entry £1 from our club shop account and any winnings are credited to it.

Our roll up is £5, but that is 50p for nearest the pin on each par 3, £1 for front 9, back 9 and overall. So the winnings tend to get spread around quite a bit.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It really isn't that hard to go to a bank, get £20 in pound coins and keep that bag in your golf bag so you can pay yur dues (and collect your winnings) after each round. I can understand it week 1 when you join a roll up but after that there is no excuse. Some people are just too lazy in my opinion

D

Deleted member 29109

It really isn't that hard to go to a bank, get £20 in pound coins and keep that bag in your golf bag so you can pay yur dues (and collect your winnings) after each round. I can understand it week 1 when you join a roll up but after that there is no excuse. Some people are just too lazy in my opinion

It's even easier to get cashback from a shop.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I stated in the first post, I would prefer to play for nothing.....or, at the most just a Pound or so. But the folks who run the rollups play for £2 on Wednesdays and £5 on Sundays. If you want to join the group (I do) then you play for those amounts. At my first course (still a member) the old rollups (haven't started up yet) I was in could cost you a max of £4 on Wed and £4.50 on Sundays if you lost everything you could. It is what it is.....and since I DO want to play in the rollups.....money is involved.

As I also stated, I was just looking for ideas on how to make this money transfer easier......it can't keep going on like it is, really annoying with people showing up without change. We were having a fair bit of trouble a couple of years ago at the first club getting people to bring change.....after this last year+ it is a lot worse. People just don't have Pound coins floating around like they used to.
As I noted. We have our main rollups set up as comps on our system and so entry and winnings are between the system and our club account - as for any and all comps. No cash involved.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our roll up is £5, but that is 50p for nearest the pin on each par 3, £1 for front 9, back 9 and overall. So the winnings tend to get spread around quite a bit.
My rollup also plays a friendly 4BBB within each rollup group. Within the group we’ll play £1 front; £1 back; £1 match, and 20p bits (Birdies, Sandy pars). On a very rare occasion I might have to hand over more than £4 on the match, but it’s usually no more than £2. Keeping the match side bets separate from the main rollup pot keeps the pot to about £40 max (if 40 players) - to be split top 3 scores. That split would be something like 20/13/7.

But if I won £20 my rollup playing hcap would be cut 2.0 - and adjustment manually applied to my score in subsequent weeks. Aim is to stop same players winning week after week - spread pots around the whole rollup as much as poss.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, cash is basically dead. I genuinely can't remember the last time I took money out of a cash machine. One minor plus of the pandemic is that more shops than ever started taking card when they didn't before, so there's almost no need for cash anywhere now. If I do have cash I spend it far too quickly, since if it's not in my bank account, it feels like I've already spent it anyway.

I don't play in a roll-up but generally my friends and I use bank transfers for everything. Prime example being badminton, I always book the courts, and they transfer me £5 for each time they play.

Our club uses our club accounts for competition entries, i.e. the same account we use for the bar. So you just top that up whenever, and your drinks and comp entries are charged off of there.

I help run the work tuck shop so I get a lot of cash to buy stock, goes on my credit card then I'm left with the stuff lol I like a back up £100 in the safe with couple £5 notes for comp entry but that's it. The rest is put in the bank ..

We have PayPal for the shop aswell so these days if there some in there least I can take from that rather than loads

I hadn't been to a proper bank since lockdown 1 but the £200 in coins sitting in the work locker was getting stupid I had to get rid

What a delight that was lol with banks reduce service and hours