Playing for cash

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
What’s the most you’ve won.

And

What’s the most you have paid out?

Playing with the queens head on the line makes this game much more interesting for myself and there are certain people I absolutely love taking money off, even if it’s just 50p.

At my club there is a clique that will bet on anything. I’ve had bets placed on myself without me even knowing and I’m pretty sure this happens at most big tournaments at my club as everyone is out to play their best golf.

I’m interested to hear some numbers as I know there are people on the forum that have been playing this game way before I was born and I’m sure a good chunk of people here probably have a few more quid to part way with than me.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Won £52 for coming first in a division two trophy. Didn’t get my name on the board because I lost out to someone in division 1 on countback.

I average win and lose at max around £30 during my social rounds, which I enjoy a lot. Pays for my beer and food afterwards.

Nothing crazy on the line yet but I have a match tomorrow with a friend that has been building up for a year. Needless to say there is a lot more riding on it.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Ive got some friends in the US who love a bet and there will regularly be a few thousands bucks on the line. Over here it's seems more limited to a tenner in a swindle but you can win a couple of hundred sometimes, although the winner always buys a round , so best to not play too well......,??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I first started playing the standard was 50p per round. That was in the early 2,000's so still a pretty miserly amount. That was deliberate so that no one felt uncomfortable but there was a token amount at stake. At other places it has been £1 front 9, £1 back, £1 overall.

I haven't played for money for years now. It doesn't do it for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not much. At my old club a couple of years ago they started giving out vouchers for the nearby golf shop, and as they didn't pay them out straight away, I ended up with around £100 worth of vouchers which had stacked up from two wins and a 2nd or 3rd place over three comps I believe. I put it towards the driver I still use now. Prior to that though the prizes were always non-monetary, and I won stuff like a Ping jumper, a couple of glass tumblers with the club logo on, and something else I've forgotten. At my new club haven't won anything yet except £12 in a twos sweep one time.

When playing with friends etc we never gamble on it. I put enough pressure on myself to play well as it is without that on top. I enjoy golf enough on it's own that I don't need to add a potential financial reward to it.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The most I've played for was a fiver a hole matchplay i think, I can't remember who won but i think the winner was only a tenner up.

We've also done split 6's where we've all put in £36 quid a piece and you took out £2 for every point you finished with at the end. Again, the losses/wins don't tend to be massive.

2 of my pals were giving it the biggun for about 3 months before we played a social round once. They were both 20 plus handicappers so they played off scratch and there was £50 a hole being played for in the end. I think it ended up 3&2. Not sure i could have stomached that loss myself. Interesting to be in the 4ball though!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When we play as a group socially when there is no club comp on, our preferred format is skins.

Usually there will be 16-24 of us, each paying £3 into the pot. Usually at least one, often 2 Nearest the pins, and one nearest the pin in two, for which a fiver is paid out for each. Skins value will therefore vary but usually between £1 and £2 a skin. Any unclaimed skins after the 18th go to the person with the highest stableford score.

Playing in groups of four it is not unusual for a group to throw the balls up and have a little 4BBB match sidebet as they play....each player will contribute £3 and play for £1/£1/£1 front, back and overall.

So the most you can lose on such occasions is £6.

Keeps things fun with a slight edge but nothing that causes financial hurt to anyone. Often its more about the banter afterwards when some of the renowned tight-wads have to hand over a pound or two.

As for winnings....personally the most I've picked up is maybe £35 but on a good day I'm usually content to be "getting my money back".

Some of the guys will have individual bets with others in other groups throwing in a fiver for the best stableford score between them. There are a couple of fivers laminated in A4 sheets doing the rounds where someone has paid out, but done it in such a way that the fiver is totally unusable.....usually the next round the laminated fiver gets passed on to someone else....its all a bit of fun really.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I don’t get why people aren’t inclined for a little side bet, nothing too much just to make it a bit more fun. Always adds to the banter at the end of the round.

No one has mentioned anything about birdies? Eagles? Or holes in 1?

We play £1 birdies on most holes but £5 on the hardest ones. £10 eagle. And if you get a hole in 1 each player has to stump up £50.

Great incentive because there is something on the line for every hole and between us there’s only been 2 eagles and a couple of birdies every round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t get why people aren’t inclined for a little side bet, nothing too much just to make it a bit more fun. Always adds to the banter at the end of the round.

No one has mentioned anything about birdies? Eagles? Or holes in 1?

We play £1 birdies on most holes but £5 on the hardest ones. £10 eagle. And if you get a hole in 1 each player has to stump up £50.

Great incentive because there is something on the line for every hole and between us there’s only been 2 eagles and a couple of birdies every round.
I think your definition of not too much differs to mine.

Not everyone enjoys betting. I get enough out of playing without the need to put money on the line.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not counted competition winnings (which hasn't been much!) the most we play for would be £5 a round. Usually it is £££ for front, back and overall between the group which can be up to about 20 so nothing too big. If you make it too much money then 'cheating' and grudges will creep in.