Play your best challenge

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry for the long delay in posting but travel and work gotin the way.
Story of the PYB challenge day one.
After a few beers, a curry and little sleep from the previous evening we all arrived at the fitting centre at 9am itching to get started and were introducedto our respective fitters, I was allocated Paul who had been with Ping over 15years. Paul helped me throughout the process greatly with some advice and he had a vast knowledge about the fitting process, he tookthe time to explain what we would be doing and helped put me at ease as therewas quite a crowd watching the fitting.

I stated first of all on the putter fitting using the IPhone app and cradle, we tried it on my own putter first of all, a Scotty Newport 2.5studio select at 35inch.
Paul asked how I felt about my putting, I like to think I ama good putter with my average of 33 putts a round this year so far.
Paul explained that we would use the Ping app on the IPhone for this and fitted the cradle to the shaft of my Scotty and asked me to hit 5 putts, I was told not to worry about trying to hole out and just to put a good stroke on it. Thank god he said that as I only holed one.
Once done the app analysed the data and said that I had the putting stroke of a 5.3 handicap with a strong arc and that the face at impact was either open or closed by an average 0.5deg.

Paul did my measurements and recommended a 33.5inch shaft tohelp get my eyes over the ball and produce a better stroke instead of having togrip down the shaft as I did on the Scotty.
We then tried a couple of ping putters and found that thebest one was a Milled Anser 4 with extra weight in the toe; this produced aputting stroke of a 3.2 handicap, just got to get the rest of the game to this standard now.
The extra weight provided in the toe made my stroke more consistent with the face being closed by 0.2deg on almost every shot, I now have no excuse for missing those two footers back.

We then moved on to my irons, currently I am playing withMizuno MP53's with R300 shafts, after hitting some shots with my own 7 iron wecould see that dispersion was good but I was unable to hit anything other than a fade, distance wise I was carrying itto 145yards with roll out to 150 yards on average.
Paul had me hit the I20's, it is a good looking club and athin top line which I like and not that different to look down on than theMizunos.
I tried the R300 shaft first as is the spec on the Mizuno and just did not work well with the i20’s, most shots were fading right and the dispersion was poor compared to my own clubs.
After a bit of trial and error with shafts we kept returningto the Ping CFS Stiff shaft, carry with this was 151 yards on average so I had gained 6 yards on the old clubs and more importantly had far tighter dispersion.
This shaft also had the effect of straightening everything up with a very slight fade at worst, this all means I can aim at the flag instead of the bunker on the left.

We then tried the S56's, these are Pings closest blade like iron and I really enjoyed hitting them, my good swings were rewarded with a fantastic feeling but anything too far off centre was punished , another problem was the lower irons were harder to control and I also lost distance compared to the i20's.
We tried all sorts of different shafts in the s56’s and eventually decided that the Project X 6.0 in the s56’s suited me best.
I hit some more balls and we played around with shafts and head combinations and between us we made a decision to go with i20 3-5 and s56 6-PW.

Paul and the Dave then had me hit an 8 and 3 iron in the i20and s56 to check the results and the i20 was out performing the s56 all the time, armed with the data we decided that the best option for me would be to have i20's through the set.
We then tried various fairway woods formations and settledon a 3 and 5 wood G20 with the Ping TFC 169F Stiff shaft producing the bestresults.
Distance wise the 3 wood was carrying 216y and the 5 wood around 205y on average.
The hybrid we ended up with was the i20 20* with a Project X6.0 shaft giving the best results, this produced a good penetrating flight butwith a soft landing around 190y.

Part two to follow as its too long for one post lol.

Last edited:

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Part two:

Now it was time for the driver my biggest nemesis.
I hit my old faithful 9.5* TM Super Quad with good results carrying an average 245yards with roll out to 255y at best, Paul explained that although it was working well I was losing distance and roll out due to the launch angle + 20*, spin rates 5000+ and angle of descent being over 40* on average.
We tried the i20 driver 10.5* first this produced better launch angle but the spin rate was still high, we continued to mix up head and shaft combinations and eventually settled on the G20 10.5* with the DFC 169Dstiff shaft, launch angle was around 14*, spin rate was 2800 and angle of descent was around 32* again this was more penetrating with carry of 255y rollout to 270y on average.
I can’t remember the ball speed etc as there was too much going on at once but I will ask Paul if he has the data and post later for those interested.

Unfortunately the driver fitting was a little bit hit andmiss to be honest, we had been hitting balls for 2.5 hours non- stop and I was also trying a more neutral grip suggested by the pro as opposed to my weak baseball effort. This in turn caused me to hook a few to start with but after awhile I hit some lovely straight drives with a hint of draw, a rarity for a constant fader/slicer of the ball.

Thankfully Ping have kindly said that we will revisit the driver fitting early May after I have had some lessons with my coach and worked on the recommended grip changes.

It was then time for the photo shoot with Tom, he definitely took advantage of my good nature with some let’s say quaint poses but all inall a great time was had by all.

Next up was Gary the mind coach, he gave me some excellent advice on how to stay positive and useful techniques to help with focus etc when on the course.

Anette the fitness guru was great fun, she had us all in some strange positions and tested all aspects of our fitness and flexability, I have some exercises to do and will be working motly on my shoulders to help my posture .

Last part of the day was a highlight with a tour of Ping’sfactory, the number of clubs they turn out daily is incredible, as an example they make over 400 Anser putters every day.
Thanks again to all at GM and Ping for the fantastic opportunity and thanks also to Annette, Gary and last but not least Paul who carried out my fitting, it was an exceptional day.

New line up:
Driver G20 10.5 Ping TFC 169D Stiff
3 Wood G 20 15* Ping TFC 169F Stiff
5 Wood G 20 18* Ping TFC 169F Stiff
Hybrid i20 20* Project X 6.0
Irons i20 3-PW Ping CFS Stiff Green Dot
Wegde Tour S 56* 128 bounce Ping CFS Stiff
Putter Anser 4 Strong arc 4* 33.5inch

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Super write up. I dont do Twitter etc and I hope that you will keep up the detailed stuff throughout the months. I wish you every sucess

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Loving the bit about Annette.....saying that she had you in strange positions and she tested you flexibility.

With that going on in your life now I predict your handicap to go up a full 2 shots this year but at least you'll be smiling.....;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Nice one Toad, Be interesting to see what the higher handicappers came out with

Good write up, sounds like a fantastic day

Not Jealous

Fragger :)

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Loving the bit about Annette.....saying that she had you in strange positions and she tested you flexibility.

With that going on in your life now I predict your handicap to go up a full 2 shots this year but at least you'll be smiling.....;)

I got an invite to her place in Manchester for a follow up, so will probably go up 4 shots:ears:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Great write up Toad. I'm fascinated by the putter fitting bit. Planning a trip to Gainsborough for my b'day to look at woods, hybrids and putters though unless I clean up in a lot of competitions it's likely I'll only get the driver ;)

Really wish you well on this and great to hear that Ping will revisit the Driver in May. Would be interested to hear about your stretches as my posture is awful.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tiger,

It is all about getting the shoulders in the right position, mine are too far forward causing me to hunch over the ball.
I will pm you details of the exercises she has planned to help me get a better posture.

John

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tiger,

It is all about getting the shoulders in the right position, mine are too far forward causing me to hunch over the ball.
I will pm you details of the exercises she has planned to help me get a better posture.

John

Toad wouldnt mind that as well please?

Enjoyed reading that write up as it could have been me at the putting part, I also have a strong arc and scotty newport 2.5 and was looking at the anser 4 or 6, what extra weight did they put in the toe?

Driver also my nemesis so glad that seems sorted now.

It will certainly help your confidence knowing you have the correct clubs for you. Thanks again and good luck matey:thup:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Tiger,

John

Thanks John :) also would you consider using the Ping iPhone cradle as a training aid or is it just suited for fitting?

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The app is great for measuring your tempo etc but more suited to a fitting aid unless you know what to do with the info.
Darth not sure exactly, may have been a standard toe heavy putter, will again ask Paul for details and let you know, I was surprised at the results as I honestly thought I would be slight arc at worst.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good write up toad, sounds like a great day out. Looking forward to reading of your progress.

Was gonna ask what your current H/C was but dodgers post and a degree in Maths I managed to work it out :)

Whats the comment re: twitter ? is there progress reports been published on there or something ?

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprisingly not mate, felt great in the s56 but way too unforgiving on bad shots, off 9 I'm going to have a few so i20 was easy option.
I believe I am being booked for lesson with the pro at St Andrews, if they can fit me in between you and Euan lol.