Pitching wedge lofts

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got a set of the AP1 716's and the loft doesn't bother me, its all about the distances as others have said and have a consistent distance spread.

I added the 47 degree gap wedge to the set, then 2 more wedges (MD2) at 52 bent to 53 degrees and then a 58 - job done!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have no idea what my lofts are, and I don't think there is any way of finding out either. They are what they are. Google is normally pretty good, but I my case, it's useless. It's fun. Whack it, find it. You can make this game way too technical.

My 49 degree gap wedge is bent to 51 though.

I have to admit, I had to Google my own iron set to see what the lofts were :mad:

588cb_zps6ypdgujj.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I only have 2 wedges
PW & SW
PW is 50 degrees I think
SW don't know

However, my 9 iron is 45 so you could say thats a PW, and my 50 is a GW
Either way it doesn't matter what's written on the bottom it's knowing how far and how high you hit them that counts.

If I want to hit a low approach, I'll hit my 9

If I want to hit a normal approach, I'll hit my PW

If I want to hit a high approach, I'll hit my SW

I dont need any more options

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Im doing some research into pitching wedge lofts as I am looking at buying a new set of clubs in march.

My current pitching wedge is 45 degree loft with then a gap at 50 and then sand 54 and 58 lob.. works perfect

the titliest 716 AP1 really caught my eye suppose to be very forgiving however their pitching wedge is 43 degree loft?! what is up with this... is 43 degree to 50 too much to live with? Im not changing my gap wedge its one of my newest clubs and im very happy with it. I have checked out the AP2s but they arent as forgiving

do I stick with a 45 degree pitching wedge, get the 43 degree and live with it or have it bent to 44 degree to make it less of a gap

There has been a trend of pitching wedges and short irons becoming less and less lofted over the last few years. This is so manufacturers can give the impression that their latest clubs hit the ball further than older models, so you keep buying new sets of irons and boost their profits. Actually the newer clubs do hit the ball further relative to what number or letters that are stamped on the sole, but at the expense of playability and bigger distance gaps. Once up on a time you just bought 3-SW and that was all you needed to play decent golf. Now you need one or more gap wedges to fill the gap between a 43 degree PW and a 56 degree SW (which has to have that sort of loft to do its job). It's all a big con to sell you more clubs! :(

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There has been a trend of pitching wedges and short irons becoming less and less lofted over the last few years. This is so manufacturers can give the impression that their latest clubs hit the ball further than older models, so you keep buying new sets of irons and boost their profits. Actually the newer clubs do hit the ball further relative to what number or letters that are stamped on the sole, but at the expense of playability and bigger distance gaps. Once up on a time you just bought 3-SW and that was all you needed to play decent golf. Now you need one or more gap wedges to fill the gap between a 43 degree PW and a 56 degree SW (which has to have that sort of loft to do its job). It's all a big con to sell you more clubs! :(

So nothing to do with improved CG locations to make the ball easier to launch?

If the lofts weren't jacked a little the ball would just balloon.

BTW, what's the loft on your Speedblade PW Del?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So nothing to do with improved CG locations to make the ball easier to launch?

If the lofts weren't jacked a little the ball would just balloon.

BTW, what's the loft on your Speedblade PW Del?

My Speedblade PW is 45 degrees loft, but the irons are a couple of years old now and not so extreme as some most recent ones. My current set up is 45 PW, 50 GW, 55 SW and 60 LW. All the perimeter weighting does is to make the clubs more forgiving of off centre hits!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Must admit I didn't have the foggiest. Google enlightened me but still won't think about it too much - it's about spending time with a club until you know how far it goes and what it can do for you. A little simplistic but you probably get the drift, OP.

For the record, my ancient clubs are:-

695MB2 Iron3 Iron4 Iron5 Iron6 Iron7 Iron8 Iron9 IronP
Offset.140".135".130".125".120".110".100".090".085"
Bounce1.5°2°3°4°4.5°5°6°7°8°
Loft19°22°25°28°32°36°40°44°48°
Length39.50"39.00"38.50"38.00"37.50"37.00"36.50"36.00"35.75"
Lie59°60°61°62°62.5°63°63.5°64°64°
Swing WtD2D2D2D2D2D2D2D2D2

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with the view not to worry too much about lofts per se but what the actual results are. If the actual gap in distance between a full PW and GW is too much and you don't feel happy manufacturing shots with your PW to fill that gap then a change of some sort may benefit you. If the gap isn't significant in practice or you are ok hitting your PW different distances to fill the gap then no problem.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with the view not to worry too much about lofts per se but what the actual results are. If the actual gap in distance between a full PW and GW is too much and you don't feel happy manufacturing shots with your PW to fill that gap then a change of some sort may benefit you. If the gap isn't significant in practice or you are ok hitting your PW different distances to fill the gap then no problem.

Very good point, I could just get what fits and see the results.. I should be used to practicing the choke down shots so should be able to work around it.

The 714 over the 716 tho seems logical . Plus prob cheaper lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been to Direct golf near me.. (bit of humble pie required as when sports direct took over I thought they would be awful and always said id stick with AG) anyways I tested out the 716 AP1.. what a lovely iron. I tried a 7 and a pitching wedge.. can tell the loft is cranked up because I was hitting the pitching wedge as long as my 8 iron lol. I spoke to the guy about it they said if it was a custom fit they would request that the lofts where what I wanted so I could have a 45 degree pitching wedge and then gap the rest of the irons accordingly. Or he said that Vokey do a 46 degree wedge I could purchase that if I was willing to pay a bit more and then have the 9 iron - 6 iron slightly adjusted to gap nicely.

Looks like Ill be buying my iron set from them now they are back up and running!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
zzzzzz!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I just don't understand why anyone needs 4 wedges. If you hit your pitching wedge 110 yards do you buy another wedge that goes 100 yards, & another that goes 90, & another that goes 80.....etc? I use my 46° for full shots or shorter ones into the wind, the 50° for just about everything else & the 58° for high shots & bunkers. If I had another wedge (a) I wouldn't know what to use it for & (b) I don't know which club I'd leave out. As it is I'd like to carry the 3 iron & the 5 wood but have to choose one or the other. A wedge is a finesse club, you should rarely be hitting it flat out &, as far as gaps are concerned, do you imagine the pros only have a 10 yard gap between clubs?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
... do you imagine the pros only have a 10 yard gap between clubs?

It's naturally more like 12-15.

They do have the ability to swing 'big' or 'easy' with a lot more control than we hackers though!

There are a couple of schools of thought wrt wedges - several wedges, same swing(s), different lofts gives predictable distances or 'favourite' loft, different swings. the decision as to which approach is quite personal. A mate with a brilliant short game has 5 wedges!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I now have a dilemma .... american golf have offered me £225 for my old ping g15s.. Can I afford to throw away £100 waiting until march to get these clubs? plus mucking up start to my season changing my clubs before the season starts?!!

need to talk to the wife.. lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just don't understand why anyone needs 4 wedges. If you hit your pitching wedge 110 yards do you buy another wedge that goes 100 yards, & another that goes 90, & another that goes 80.....etc? I use my 46° for full shots or shorter ones into the wind, the 50° for just about everything else & the 58° for high shots & bunkers. If I had another wedge (a) I wouldn't know what to use it for & (b) I don't know which club I'd leave out. As it is I'd like to carry the 3 iron & the 5 wood but have to choose one or the other. A wedge is a finesse club, you should rarely be hitting it flat out &, as far as gaps are concerned, do you imagine the pros only have a 10 yard gap between clubs?

I carry 4 wedges (48,52,56,60), Im better with a pretty full swing than a shorter swing with a wedge so I prefer more options. With a smooth swing they carry approx 135, 122, 108, 95, I can get a few more yards out if flat out (esp with the PW) but try hard not to these days.

For me its not about having 4 wedges as such but having 5 clubs from 150 yards and in, I expect thats no different to most is it?

Were all different, surely its about finding whats best for each of us ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I carry 4 wedges (48,52,56,60), Im better with a pretty full swing than a shorter swing with a wedge so I prefer more options. With a smooth swing they carry approx 135, 122, 108, 95, I can get a few more yards out if flat out (esp with the PW) but try hard not to these days.

For me its not about having 4 wedges as such but having 5 clubs from 150 yards and in, I expect thats no different to most is it?

Were all different, surely its about finding whats best for each of us ?

i get what you are saying but what about a 50 yarder or a 75 what would you do then?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i get what you are saying but what about a 50 yarder or a 75 what would you do then?

From 50 yard im hitting a pitch, which wedge, either with a 52 or 60 depending on trajectory I want. From 75 yards Im hitting a knock down 60 degree (but Id much rather have 95 than 75 yards! and if I cant reach will often lay further back). Not perfect but know what my strengths and weaknesses are and try to play to them.

Just dont see why Id want to carry less wedges and increase the gaps at this end of the bag to give me more long game options to hit into the rough :D