PINS System

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I bought my first pair of shoes to use this system, Puma. Comfort wise I'm quite impressed BUT I had heard some less than favourable reports on the PINS cleat system, both on the internet and from the personal experience of a friend.
Well, since I've used the shoes (less than a dozen games) I have so far lost three cleats plus one broken while taking them out to check they were all in properly. I don't know who makes original cleats (Puma branded) but I am replacing the lost/broken ones with Masters cleats so it will be interesting to see if it is the system or cheap OEM cleats.
Interestingly enough I was chatting to a Champ rep on their stand at the Scottish Golf Show and he said Champ doesn't produce spikes for the PINS system as they don't consider it substantial enough for the job.
As it stands, I'd have to agree. I've never had this problem with Fast Twist or Q-Lok (Tri-Lok) systems.

I'd be interested to hear of other peoples experiences.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some metal spike Pins for my Footjoy DNA's today after a few of the original cleats had worn or had bits broken off.
To be honest I was quite peeved to find out they did not have twist or q-lok because I had some spare,i suppose its just another rip off.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
The range of fittings does seem to be silly. I understand the PINS and Tour Lock are for more low profile shoes.
We're talking millimetres difference here. Does it really make that much of a difference?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive had Puma BioFusion for two years now, and lost one cleat during that time (only a couple of months ago. I never check them for tightness, and I simply replaced the missing one with another brand. So from my experience I wouldn't be too worried.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I posted something similar yesterday ironically as I need to replace some of my Puma Pins Spikes, s²Quill, and couldn't find them. I was advised by the wise people on here that any old PINS spikes will fit so I have ordered more. I have played three rounds and been to the driving range using the shoes 2-3 times since buying them. One spike just disappeared and another sheared in two. I do check the tightness of the spikes but I get how one could fall out. The one that sliced off was a little more worrying. One of the posters yesterday advised that they have taken out all of the Puma spikes and replaced them with another brand as they don't rate the Puma version. I am not going that far but I have bought 14 replacements ones so that I can just replace them quickly each time one falls out/falls apart. Hopefully the replacement ones are better.

I always assumed giving marketing names to spikes was just that, marketing. Maybe I am wrong. Personally I wish they would all have universal fitting systems for spikes as that would make life much easier.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE PINS SYSTEM ITSELF, ONLY WITH PUMA ORIGINAL ISSUE CLEATS. sTRANGE THE CHAMP REP SAYS THEY DONT MAKE PINS CLEATS? AS THATS WHAT I HAVE TO REPLACE THE LOST/BROKEN PUMA ONES!

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have got them on a pair of Footjoy hydrolites.

They have been fine for me but I would recommend getting replacements that match the originals exactly, also do not over tighten; it's easy to do one extra twist on replacement and that can force them to pop out.

I agree it's irritating to have to have different types across shoes.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE PINS SYSTEM ITSELF, ONLY WITH PUMA ORIGINAL ISSUE CLEATS. sTRANGE THE CHAMP REP SAYS THEY DONT MAKE PINS CLEATS? AS THATS WHAT I HAVE TO REPLACE THE LOST/BROKEN PUMA ONES!
I checked on the Champ website before I posted to make sure I got my facts right and none of their cleats are designed to fit PINS. All the others yes, PINS no.

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
I have had a pair of Puma Amp Cell Fusions for 3 years now and have only lost 1 spike, replaced others as they have worn but never had any issues with removing the old / fitting the new spikes

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I was about to post something about the PINS system but found this old thread and it seems appropriate to post it here.

I have a pair of Sketchers Go Golf shoes with the PINS cleat system. They are nice shoes, and I've had no issues with the manufacturer-installed soft cleats.

However, it's now winter and as per usual I wanted to install metal spikes. The only ones I could find were Masters brand, and over the course of four rounds I've lost five spikes.
The Masters spikes are also alarmingly "domed" (compared to, say, the Champ metal spikes in my wife's Footjoys) and make big indents on soft greens.

Masters seems to be a low-cost brand in general. Does anyone know if someone else makes metal spikes for the PINS system?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought a lot of clubs didn't like metal spikes on their greens so you don't see them so much now. Can't remember the last time I saw any in shoes in a shop. Your options may be limited because of this.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was about to post something about the PINS system but found this old thread and it seems appropriate to post it here.

I have a pair of Sketchers Go Golf shoes with the PINS cleat system. They are nice shoes, and I've had no issues with the manufacturer-installed soft cleats.

However, it's now winter and as per usual I wanted to install metal spikes. The only ones I could find were Masters brand, and over the course of four rounds I've lost five spikes.
The Masters spikes are also alarmingly "domed" (compared to, say, the Champ metal spikes in my wife's Footjoys) and make big indents on soft greens.

Masters seems to be a low-cost brand in general. Does anyone know if someone else makes metal spikes for the PINS system?
Really can't see the PINS fitting being able to support a central metal spike - I would expect them to snap the central fitting on the 'spike' and fall out pretty quickly.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Really can't see the PINS fitting being able to support a central metal spike - I would expect them to snap the central fitting on the 'spike' and fall out pretty quickly.
Looks like that's what is happening. Shame - I like the Sketchers shoes, pity they chose to use PINS.